How to Remove Ashford University Debt Collections From Your Credit Report
will boost your credit score and give you a better standing when accessing other credit services. Ashford University has found itself in trouble for ripping off students by imposing predatory lending tactics to its students and offering unrecognized degrees.
Following these cases, you may get loan forgiveness if the university closes or through the Borrower Defense to Repayment (BDR) introduced by former Presider Barack Obama. However, these debt collections may still appear on your credit report once long after your loan has been forgiven, even up to seven years.
While you can remove the debt collections from your credit report by yourself, DoNotPay offers a quick, reliable, and convenient way to do it. DoNotPay will help you clean your credit report through a goodwill request letter to the university.
How to Remove Ashford University Debt Collections from Credit Report by Yourself
If you are yet to get debt forgiveness from Ashford University, first check whether you are eligible to get it. You can get debt forgiveness in two ways.
|University Closure||If the university closes while you are still enrolled and have one of the Federal student loans, you are eligible for closure school discharges, and your loan will be forgiven.|
|Borrower Defense to Repayment (BDR)||If the school convinced you to sign up for a course, enter into a loan debt, and leave you with no degree, you could apply for loan forgiveness through the easy BDR process.|
Once you get loan forgiveness, you may want to to avoid further collections. The best approach is to send a goodwill removal letter to the debt collector asking to be removed from the credit report since your loan has been forgiven.
Ensure that you provide enough details in your letter explaining your case. The creditor should respond within three or four weeks with an updated status of your credit report.
The following are important details to include in the goodwill letter:
- The date
- Your name
- Your address
- Your creditor's name
- Your creditor's address
- Your account number
- The negative mark you'd like removed
Here's a sample of a goodwill removal request letter.
Name of Creditor
City, State ZIP code
Re: [Account number: XXXXXXXXX]
I'm writing because I noticed a debt collection on the university loan that was already forgiven through the BDR rule or because the university closed while I was still a student. I'm requesting that you review this collection and adjust it.
Due to this collection on my credit report, it's difficult to access other credit services (Including your immediate need like buying a house, getting another student loan, etc.). If you could adjust this collection and remove it from my credit report, it would go a long way to improve my credit score.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
[Your printed name]
A goodwill letter does not guarantee that the institution will take a step, and you might need to follow other processes like disputing the credit report. Also, it may take a long time before you get a reply from your letter, which may delay your projects or whatever you want to do while still charging you for it.
While credit score experts may help, their charges may be too high for you. That's where DoNotPay comes in.
How to Remove Ashford University Debt Collections from Your Credit Report With the Help of DoNotPay
DoNotPay has enough experience and can easily solve your problem and clean up your credit report by removing Ashford University debt collections from your credit report.
DoNotPay approaches credit report situations in the following ways:
- Filing a Goodwill Removal Request Letter
- Sending a Credit Dispute for Inaccurate Reports
- Submitting a Debt Validation Request
- Mailing a Pay-to-Delete Negotiation Letter
Here's how you can get started in 3 easy steps:
- Search Clean Credit Report on DoNotPay.
- Prepare a recent copy of your credit report that you can use as reference.
- Let us guide you through the four potential options:
- If you've already paid off your debt, we'll help you file a Goodwill Removal Request to get it removed.
- If you notice any errors in your report (we have a list of common errors you can use!), we'll help you file a credit dispute to the creditor or major credit bureaus.
- If there are no errors, we'll check if you're still eligible to file a debt validation request. If they can't validate your debt, they're required to remove it from your report and they can't collect it!
- Lastly, if none of the above options work, we'll help you file a pay-to-delete negotiation letter. You can customize the amount you are willing to pay in exchange for getting the item removed.
You can also check out our other credit products, including improving your credit score, writing a dispute letter, and fixing a credit score.
And that's it! DoNotPay will file the appropriate letter on your behalf (mailing is more effective in these cases since it's trackable). You should hear back from the creditor within a few weeks with a response.
Why Use DoNotPay to Remove Ashford University Debt Collections From Credit Report?
- Fast – DoNotPay contacts the creditor right away so that you get results as soon as possible.
- Easy – DoNotPay takes away the hassle of drafting letters and following up with the creditors. You only need to provide the required information, and DoNotPay does the rest.
- Successful – You can count on DoNotPay to get your credit report fixed as you requested.
DoNotPay will help you remove Ashford University debt collections from your credit report and offer you other services such as removing late payments and inquiries from your credit report.
Check out DoNotPay's Clean Credit Report page for more information.