What to Do If I Have Section 8 Vouchers and Want to Move

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm and is not licensed to practice law. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help.

What to Do If I Have Section 8 Vouchers and Want to Move

Section 8 housing vouchers are offered to deserving families and individuals from the federal government through the local housing authorities. Your eligibility is evaluated by your local housing authority.

Section 8 vouchers are portable and can be used across the American States. However, the transfer process is lengthy and requires you to meet some conditions. DoNotPay helps you overcome the transfer hurdles and transfer Section 8 to where you want to move.

Sign up today and within minutes.

Can You Transfer Your Section 8 Voucher to Another State?

You might be comfortable in your home one minute, and something comes up forcing you to consider relocating to a different city or state. Your main worry is whether your Section 8 voucher is transferable to your new location. The good news is that .

The portability feature of the HUD's Section 8 housing assistance program allows it to be transferable to different jurisdictions under certain conditions. Transferring Section 8 housing vouchers involves two different local housing authorities.

How to Transfer Your Section 8 Housing Voucher on Your Own?

You need to fulfill the following conditions before you are granted a successful Section 8 transfer:

1. Apply for Voucher Transfer

The first step in is notifying your local housing authority of your move. The process can take several weeks, and you should therefore start as early as possible.

Once you submit your relocation notice, your LHA will send you a transfer packet that contains all the requirements you need to fulfill before moving out. The transfer packet includes the following:

  • List of documents you need to have for a successful transfer, such as birth certificates and proof of income
  • A notice to your landlord
  • Portability Release Form

After fulfilling the requirements, you should submit all the documents to your LHA to forward them to the PHA in the area where you want to move.

2. Resolve Your Current Lease

You cannot be granted a transfer if you have unsolved disputes with your previous landlord. Be sure that you are in good standing with your landlord by issuing a relocating notice at least 60 days before your move.

You should ask for a transfer packet from your local housing authority. The transfer packet contains a notice form, which should be signed by your landlord and you as well. You should also include a lease termination report from your landlord, if any.

3. Find a New Home

Before setting out to find a new home, you need to visit your new LHA to find out what their HUD safe housing measures are. You should find a house that passes all the HUD inspection requirements.

You also need to find a neighborhood with LHA, but not all have them. You may need to have seating with your new LHA to re-evaluate your eligibility.

Can Your Section 8 Transfer Request Be Denied?

Like any other government program, there are some restrictions to acquiring a Section 8 transfer. These restrictions include

Time LimitYou must have benefited from the Section 8 housing program for at least 12 months. The Section 8 portability cannot be activated unless you have lived in the area you initially qualified for the Section 8 voucher for at least 12 months.
Lease OverlapYou might be granted a Section 8 transfer before ending your previous lease but at a cost. You need to pay the rent for the period before your previous landlord terminates your old lease contract.

You will have to pay the rent in advance if you owe your previous landlord for your lease termination to be processed. You might be denied the transfer altogether if you violated your previous lease agreement.

How Long Does It Take To Transfer a Section 8 Voucher?

can take anything between 30-60 days. The period depends on the number of transfer requests at the PHA s involved and the complexity of the situation.

Once the involved local housing authorities confirm your transfer request, you can move any time.

Transfer Your Section 8 Housing Voucher With the Help of DoNotPay

From fulfilling the transfer packet requirements to meeting with your new local housing authority, the process of is a long and tedious task.

We understand your predicaments and have a fantastic tool to help you through. Our Section 8 product is a wholesome product that helps you scout for housing assistance openings near you, apply for Section 8 in your area, and successfully transfer your Section 8 when you need it.

Sign up on our website to experience these wholesome services from your browser.

How to Apply for Section 8 Housing With DoNotPay

If you want to apply for Section 8 Housing in your area but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 2 easy steps:

  1. Answer a few questions about your income, family size, veteran/disability status, which county you hope to live in, etc.

  2. DoNotPay will find the PHA in charge of that county and contact them with all of your eligibility information to determine if you can start applying. They'll get back to you directly via email with the next steps.

Why Use DoNotPay to Move With Your Section 8?

DoNotPay provides you with the easiest platform to . Our services are fast, reliable, and -savvy. You don't have to go through long processes and fill in a ton of documentation to get the help you need. In addition, we can help you access a wide range of services from the comfort of your home.

Other services you can access with DoNotPay include:

Sign up to enjoy an endless list of administrative and solutions.

Want your issue solved now?