How to Get a Higher Credit Limit on Your Comerica Credit Card
Most personal Comerica credit cards have a simple credit limit, a cap on how much you can spend on the card, and penalties for going over that limit. Your credit limit is set when you open the card account and is based on the company's confidence in your ability to aptly pay back the balance in a short time. Of course, over time, steady on-time payments and possible improvements in your personal finances should increase that credit limit, but most accounts don't change unless you take action.
If you're wondering , the answer isn't easy to find online. There's no officially approved avenue. They don't even talk about it on customer accounts or FAQ pages. But there is a way. By contacting the company directly and pushing on the reliability and strength of your finances, you can get a credit limit.
Need a higher credit limit and don't have time to spend hours proving your worthiness? DoNotPay can help.
How Credit Limit Increases Work
Credit increases can only happen when the credit company improves its confidence in you. For people with brand new credit or fast-improving finances, this might be a short process. For others, you may need to spend one to five years of reliable payments to Comerica's confidence in your financial stability. Because there is no official route to increase your limit, this means higher credit limits are only approved on a case-by-case basis when you appeal to the company directly for an increase.
When Can I Request a Credit Limit Increase From Comerica?
- When you've had the card for at least a year
- When you have 100% on-time payments for the last 12 months
- When you have not recently taken out another type of credit or loan
- When your income has increased, and your other finances are stable
- When you have recently been approved for better/higher credit with another card
Before you ask for a credit increase, check your finances. What has happened since you opened the card to in you financially? What indicators would point to your ability to pay if you spend to a higher limit? Put yourself in the credit company's viewpoint, and it's easy to see why a year of stable payments and/or recently improved financial status might cause them to reassess your original credit limit to a higher one.
What Information Will Comerica Ask For?
When you apply for a credit limit increase, Comerica is likely to ask a few preliminary questions to help determine if the answer is "yes" and, if so, what your new credit limit will be. This information may include:
- Your current income
- Your monthly mortgage, rent, and/or car payments
- Your debt-to-income ratio (the previous two combined)
- Other relevant financial information
How to Request a Credit Limit Increase from Comerica on Your Own
Contact Comerica Customer Service Through Your Account
Start by logging into your Comerica account. Navigate to the internal customer service line. You can call, chat, or email to open your service ticket.
Inquire About Raising Your Credit Limit
Let the representative know that you are inquiring about increasing your credit limit. Be polite and clear. Often this rep can help you either raise your limit or plan ahead to succeed at a credit raise in the future.
Provide the Information Necessary
When the Comerica rep asks you for personal and financial information, clearly read off any information they need. You may need to upload documents or scan your pay stubs to prove your current income, mortgage, and so on.
Wait for a Confirmation, Denial, or Request for Further Information
Comerica may approve your credit limit update right away, but there's a good chance you will need to wait and hear back whether your request has been approved or denied.
How to Raise Your Comerica Credit Limit With the help of DoNotPay
Of course, actually raising your limit can require hours of chat, emails, and document filing. If you don't have the time or just can't find the route (Comerica does not make it easy to find this information), DoNotPay can help.
Let us know the card you'd like to increase the limit of and the general state of your finances. We'll go through the customer service rigamarole to find out how and where to inquire about your credit limit and push on the system until we get a solid "yes" or more information for you on how to increase your credit limit successfully in the next few months.
How to Request Higher Credit Limits Using DoNotPay:
If you want to request higher credit limits but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in six easy steps:
- Go to the Credit Limit Increase product on DoNotPay.
- Select which type of card you own and your credit provider.
- Tell us more about your card, such as when you first created this card, your current credit limit, what you would like your new limit to be, your card number, and whether you've missed past payments.
- Tell us more about your current income and expenses and why you would like to request a limit increase.
- Indicate whether you want to allow hard inquiries to be made into your credit history. Upload a copy of your ID and provide your e-signature.
- Submit your task. DoNotPay will deliver the request letter on your behalf. You should hear back from the card provider with confirmation or a request for more information within a few weeks.
DoNotPay Can Work With Any Credit Company, Anywhere in the US
Are you looking to raise the limit on more than just your Comerica credit card? DoNotPay has your back. We can help you improve the state of your credit lines and general finances for any bank and card provider in the country.
With the click of a button, check out some other credit cards we can help you increase.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay can help you save money and increase your financial status in a variety of ways. Here are a few more helpful ways we can help your finances this year:
Are you looking to reduce hassle and avoid unnecessary payments? Want to skip the procedural drag of lifting your finances above where they were last year? to help.