How to Easily Increase Your Gap Credit Card Limit Online
Getting a Gap credit card limit increase can make it easier for you to handle your shopping, whether you need to gear up for the Back to School season or you're planning to use gifts from the Gap for the holidays. Unfortunately, getting an increase on your Gap credit card limit may not always be as easy as it seems. Even though your credit may have changed considerably since your initial card application, your card limit will not automatically increase.
DoNotPay can help you with ease.
How Credit Limit Increases Work
When you first apply for a line of credit, including a store credit card, you will be assigned a specific limit: the amount you're allowed to spend on that cart. You cannot spend more than those limits at any time, and if you want to use your card after exceeding those limits, you'll have to either pay off part of the existing balance or increase your credit limit.
Over time, many institutions, including will allow you to raise that credit limit. You may have grounds to raise your Gap card limit if, for example:
- Your credit has changed significantly since you initially applied for the card
- You have had the card for a long time, and you have made payments regularly
- You feel that the initial credit limit does not reflect the limits you should realistically have, based on your current credit.
Some cards, including bank-based credit cards, may automatically increase your limit over time. Others, however, may require you to call in or make a direct inquiry to increase your credit card limit.
Gap Credit Cards, Increases, and More
If you've applied for a Gap credit card, you likely already know that it's a retailer-specific card intended for use across the family of stores. There are several key things you need to know about your Gap credit card.
- It can be used at several retailers: Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, and Athleta.
- Gap credit cards are issued through Synchrony Bank (not by the retailer directly).
- You can increase your Gap credit limit over time but will need to call in and take care of that increase directly.
When Can I Request a Credit Limit Increase for My Gap Credit Card?
In general, you can request a credit limit increase on your Gap card around sixty days after the initial application. However, there are several factors that Synchrony Bank will take into consideration when determining whether you qualify for a credit limit increase. If those factors have not changed significantly, you may find that it won't do you any good to apply for a limit increase--and it could be based on a hard credit score inquiry, which could actually hurt your credit and make it difficult for you to apply for other lines.
Some of the factors Synchrony Bank may look at include:
- Whether you make your payments on time or have a history of delinquent payments
- Your overall credit history and credit score
- Whether you have experienced any changes in income
- How much of your available credit you're currently using
- Recent hard inquiries about your credit
Sometimes, you may be automatically eligible for a credit limit increase after 6-12 months of holding your Gap credit card, as long as you continue to pay your bills on time and manage your current spending limits responsibly.
What Should You Consider Before Asking for a Gap Credit Card Limit Increase?
If you plan to ask for a Gap credit card limit increase, there are several factors you should take into consideration.
- Have you recently lost a job or changed jobs? If so, it might not be the best time to ask for an increase.
- What does your history with the Gap card look like? Do you usually make your payments on time?
- Do you plan to make more requests for additional credit in the near future, including a home loan or a vehicle loan? You may want to wait until you've completed those Measures before you apply for your Gap limit increase since the increase could mean a hard pull on your credit information and could cause a small drop in your credit.
If you decide that you're ready to move forward with a Gap credit card limit increase request, DoNotPay can help.
How Can You Increase the Limit on Your Gap Credit Card?
There are two options for increasing the limit on your Gap credit card yourself.
|Visit your account on the website
|Keep in mind that you may have to wind your way through the information on the site to find everything you need to know since the website may not make it easy to request a credit limit increase.
|Call Synchrony Bank at 866-450-5295
|Calling indirectly from the bank can mean long hold times, not to mention scrambling to get all the information the representative needs at precisely that moment.
DoNotPay Can Make It Easier to Apply for a Credit Limit Increase on Your Gap Card
Don't want to waste time trying to handle your Gap credit card limit increase on your own? DoNotPay can help.
- Go to the Credit Limit Increase product on DoNotPay.
- Select which type of card you own and your credit provider.
- Tell us more about your card, such as when you first created this card, your current credit limit, what you would like your new limit to be, your card number, and whether you've missed past payments.
- Tell us more about your current income and expenses and why you would like to request a limit increase.
- Indicate whether you want to allow hard inquiries to be made into your credit history. Upload a copy of your ID and provide your e-signature.
- Submit your task. DoNotPay will deliver the request letter on your behalf. You should hear back from the card provider with confirmation or a request for more information within a few weeks.
Why Use DoNotPay to Request an Increase on Your Gap Card Limit?
DoNotPay makes it easier to increase your spending limit so that you can enjoy more shopping freedom. It's fast. It's easy. We make sure that you have all the information Synchrony Bank needs on hand, which increases the odds that you will successfully get a credit limit increase the first time.
DoNotPay Makes Many Common Tasks Easier
DoNotPay is here to help with all of those and more.
Try Out Our Credit Limit Increase Tool Today
DoNotPay makes it easy to apply for an increase on your Gap credit card credit limit. today.