Approximately What Percent of All Email is Spam?
Spam email has been an issue since roughly the early 1990s and continues to be a huge problem today. Not only is it super annoying, but it can also result in identity theft, stealing of personal data, and massive loss of profit for businesses and individuals alike. Here are the statistics for how much of all email is spam and what you can do to stop spam emails.
What Percentage of Email Is Spam?
According to the latest reports by Talos Intelligence, the unbelievable 84.82% of all email is spam. It is a worrying number if we consider that the years 2015–2018 saw a general decrease in spam email with some fluctuations. The lowest number showed in April 2018 when spam accounted for 47.7% of all email.
It doesn’t help that the predictions for the overall email volume are that it’s going to rise significantly in the next couple of years, and with it, spam mail is sure to increase too.
How Many Spam Emails Are Sent per Day?
More detailed statistics show that a total of 347.73 billion emails are sent daily, out of which the staggering 62.46 billion are spam. It means that legitimate emails take up only 15.14% of global email traffic.
How Many Spam Emails Do You Get per Day?
It is nearly impossible to estimate how many spam emails an individual gets per day since different types are targeted to different degrees. As a regular person, you can attract plenty of junk mail if you frequently do any of the following:
- Subscribing to various online services
- Signing up for newsletters
- Providing your email to retailers
- Exposing your address on your website or social media accounts
Decrease Spam Emails in Your Inbox to a Minimum With the Help of DoNotPay
Since junk mail can be both dangerous and extremely annoying, it is never a bad idea to do something to decrease the number of these spam emails to the fewest possible. Spam filters have proved to be a success, but their power is limited compared to an astronomical number of spam emails that are sent daily.
DoNotPay can help you avoid spam email easily and clear your inbox for good. The process is simple and requires less of your time than deleting all the nasty spam one by one. When you log in to your DoNotPay account using any web browser or iOS app, all you need to do is go through the following steps:
- Navigate to the Spam Collector section
- Provide your email to connect it to DoNotPay
- Send your next spam email to firstname.lastname@example.org
As you see, getting rid of spam email through DoNotPay takes only three short steps. When you do this, DoNotPay helps you by:
- Unsubscribing you from the sender automatically
- Adding you to the Class Action section if the spam was illegal, thereby getting you compensation for it
If the last point is true in your case, you will notice a flag on your DoNotPay dashboard, in the Spam Collector section.
Getting Rid of Spam Email On Your Own
You don’t have many options when it comes to fighting spam emails effectively. You can take some courses of action to try and decrease the number of them, but they are not always practical or not to the extent which can stop spam mail. Here are a few pieces of advice to deal with junk mail manually:
- Use the Unsubscribe button
- Opt for Gmail
- Resist the urge to sign up to too many newsletters
- Try the Spam Filter services
Some of these can take up much time or even cost money. In some cases, people also advise against using the unsubscribe option since it can attract more junk mail in turn. For all these reasons, your best option is to enlist the help of DoNotPay to end junk mail once and for all and make your inbox clear.
How DoNotPay Helps You Deal With Unwanted Mail in General
DoNotPay is here for you in more ways than just helping you fight junk mail. Check out the table below to see how DoNotPay helps you avoid, deal with, or even report unwanted mail.
Avoiding Unwanted Mail
|Taking Action Against Unwanted Mail|
|How to Unsubscribe from Emails|
|Spam Email Revenge|
|How to Block Spam Email on Android|
Are You Flooded With Physical Junk Mail Too? DoNotPay Can Help!
As if having your online inbox cluttered with spam isn’t enough, these are often sent by snail mail too. Having to pick up advertisements for products you’re not interested in or getting up to answer the doorbell for something you’ve never asked for is not only extremely irritating, but it can also be rude, distracting, and time-consuming.
From now on, you don’t have to worry about this. DoNotPay will sort out the issue of receiving too much physical junk mail quickly for you. You can use our feature DoNotMail to send us a photo of the spam mail that arrives at your physical address. We’ll deal with it in the same way we deal with the spam mail that gets into your email inbox.
There is a number of advantages to using DoNotMail. You are:
- Unsubscribed from the service that sends you junk mail immediately
- Back in control of your mailbox
- Contributing to an environmentally friendly waste management
- Better protected from fraudulent scams
- Potentially compensated in money through the Class Action option of DoNotPay
Email Spam in Real Life
To get a better insight into the severe dangers spam carries with it, we’ll look into how email spam works in real life. Generally, the largest number of spam emails are of marketing nature, which in most cases isn’t dangerous, though still irritating. The next type of unsolicited electronic messages is aimed to harm the receivers of those emails deliberately.
Some of the most common goals of illegal spammers are to:
- Steal personal data, either from an individual or companies, to get into their bank accounts
- Attack computer systems through malware and gain unauthorized access to it or damage it
There are also countless forms that these emails can take. It only makes it more difficult to recognize genuine emails from spams. Here are a couple of different types of spam emails:
- Fake docs as a method of phishing
- Dating invitations
- Scary, threatening content
- Empty offers
These are only a few examples of ways in which email spam works in real life. Unfortunately, spam filters don’t work 100 % of the time. This is why your best option is to get rid of spam once and for all with the help of DoNotPay. That way, you will protect yourself and have a clean inbox.
DoNotPay Is Here for So Much More Than Just Junk Mail
When you clear your inbox of spammers with the help of DoNotPay, don’t forget to check out everything else we offer. As the first robot lawyer in the world, DoNotPay works constantly to improve customer protection and sort out issues regular people have to deal with daily. Access DoNotPay from any web browser or iOS app, and learn how we can help you as early as today. Here are some services we offer:
- Helping with credit card issues
- Appealing traffic tickets
- Requesting compensation for robocalls
- Ending subscriptions and memberships
- Disputing speeding tickets
- Arranging DMV meetings quickly
- Sending people and companies to small claims court
- Dealing with parking tickets
- Demanding compensation for canceled and delayed flights
- Helping you protect yourself from stalking and harassment
- Ending spam mail for good
- Requesting refunds from any company
- Extending deadlines for bills
- Calling customer service for you so you can skip the phone queues