The Fastest Way to Qualify and Apply for Section 8 In Philadelphia, PA
Housing is incredibly expensive, no matter who you are! In the last few years, the market has gotten even crazier with all the upheaval caused by the pandemic and other economic upsets. If you're struggling to find housing, you can get help through .
While having a safe, sanitary place to live is crucial for human existence and flourishing, it can be hard to get such a place if you're not as wealthy as others. Thankfully, the federal government does offer support by providing housing vouchers to certain eligible applicants. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to know if you qualify and the application process can take a long time. If you want to find out about your eligibility for Section 8 vouchers, DoNotPay may be able to help.
Who Is Eligible for Section 8 Vouchers in Philadelphia?
Although the Section 8 program, now generally known as the Housing Voucher program, is open to people all around the United States, local Public Housing Authority (PHA) boards get to set eligibility for each locality. The PHA has determined that those eligible for , must meet several requirements.
- They must meet owner-occupant restrictions; namely, no one who owns or has a financial interest in their dwelling or who is dwelling in a home owned by a close relative (grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, sibling) is eligible for vouchers.
- They must have an adult head of household who is 18 or older, has a valid social security number, and is income-eligible.
- They must prove that all family members 6 or older have a valid social security number.
- They must declare U.S. citizenship, if applicable.
- They will be favored if they have a family of two or more persons.
- They should meet income requirements. The federal government specifies that income should not exceed 50% of the median income in the area. The Philadelphia PHA specifies that at least 75% of all recipients must make 30% or less than the median income while 25% of all recipients can make more than 30%. 25% of vouchers are reserved for homeless persons.
Income Limits for Housing Voucher Recipients
In Philadelphia, there is a specific threshold for how much a family receiving a housing voucher can make, depending on the number of people in the family.
|Family Size||Income Threshold|
How to Apply for Section 8 Housing in Philadelphia, PA
If you are eligible for Section 8 housing and would like to apply, the process is relatively simple. However, you must apply when the Housing Voucher waitlist is open. The list opens regularly and residents of Philadelphia are notified via advertising on TV, radio, and print advertising, as well as on the PHA website.
To find out more about the application process, you will need to contact the local PHA office. You can do this in a variety of ways.
|Address||Philadelphia Housing Authority, 2013 Ridge Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19121|
|Phone number||215) 684-4000|
|Relay system||1 (800) 654-5984|
To reach the Leased Housing Department, which is in charge of helping recipients of the Housing Choice Vouchers and landlords involved in the program, contact the vice president, Bret Holden, at (215) 684-4329.
If you want to apply, you will need proof of your social security numbers, your citizenship (if applicable), and your income. Be sure to have such papers ready when you contact the PHA to request an application.
How to Apply for Section 8 Housing Vouchers With DoNotPay
The application process for Section 8 housing in Philadelphia, PA, is a bit complicated. You will have to make sure the waitlist is open before reaching out, and even then, you may end up placed on the waitlist for months or years before you get a house.
If you aren't sure that you want to invest all your time and resources into applying for a Section 8 voucher, you can always get DoNotPay to do some of the more challenging parts for you. DoNotPay can help you find out more about the waitlist before you apply so that you don't have to waste too much time and energy on a fruitless search.
Here's how it works:
- Answer a few questions about your income, family size, veteran/disability status, which county you hope to live in, etc.
- DoNotPay will find the PHA in charge of that county and contact them with all of your eligibility information to determine if you can start applying. They'll get back to you directly via email with the next steps.
It's that simple. As soon as you hear from your PHA, you can get started with the application process of getting those housing vouchers.
Other Ways DoNotPay Can Help
Aside from Section 8 in Philadelphia, PA, we can also assist you with other Section 8-related information.
- How to Apply for Section 8
- Apply for Section 8
- How to Get Section 8 Immediately
- Section 8 Vouchers
- Section 8 Rental Assistance Programs
- Section 8 Government Housing
- Where to Fill Out for Section 8
- Section 8 Housing Application Form
- Low-Income Housing
- HUD Housing Application
If you're someone who likes to save time and money on legal matters, DoNotPay is here for you. In addition to answering Section 8 housing needs, DoNotPay can help you:
To get started with DoNotPay's services, today!