Reporting Incidents to Animal Control in Richland County Made Easy

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm, is not licensed to practice law, and is not equivalent to the services of a licensed lawyer. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help, and does not offer legal services. Third party news articles mentioned on our website do not necessarily reflect the views of the company, or the current services that we offer.

What You Need to Know About Reporting Incidents to Richland County Animal Control

Most people tend to think of pets as cute and cuddly, but despite their domestic lifestyle, animals can still be unpredictable. They may act on instinct and attack out of fear or to protect food or toys, or act aggressively for known reasons. If you are the victim of a dog bite or other animal attack, it is important to report it to animal control. Reporting animal incidents can potentially help prevent future attacks. It also gives you documentation that might be necessary for medical insurance claims or lawsuits. Fortunately, DoNotPay can help you file animal reports with .

How Does Richland County Animal Control Serve the Community?

The Richland County Department of Animal Care provides a variety of services that aim to protect people, animals, and property. Some of these services include:

  • Enforcement of laws and ordinances
  • Transport sick, injured, and/or stray animals to appropriate facilities for care and treatment
  • Provide shelter for stray/lost/abandoned animals
  • Investigate reports of animal bites - in cooperation with the Department of Health and Environmental Control
  • Investigate reports of abused or abandoned animals
  • Rescue distressed animals
  • Investigate
  • License pets and keep vaccination records
  • Lost & Found pet services
  • Community Cat Diversion Program (Trap/Neuter/Release)
  • Community education and public information campaigns

Richland County Animal Control - Contact Information and Hours of Operation

You have a few options for contacting , depending on your needs.

Contact Information

Address400 Powell Road, Columbia, South Carolina 29203
Phone Number(803) 929-6000

Office Hours: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday

Pet Licensing Hours: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday

After hours, weekends, and evenings: call 803-252-2911 in the event of an emergency.

What to Do About Animal Attacks or Vicious Animals in Richland County

If you are the victim of a dog bite or other animal attack, you should treat it immediately, because open wounds can lead to infections.

  • Minor Wounds - Wash with soap/water, apply an antiseptic, and bandage. Monitor the wound in case it needs medical attention.
  • Deep wounds - Apply pressure with a clean cloth and seek medical attention.
  • Stray or Wild Animals - Even if the wound seems mild, call your physician for advice and/or seek medical attention. Strays are unlikely to be vaccinated properly and wild animals carry numerous diseases, including rabies.

After you treat the wound, you should do the following:

  1. Identify the dog and owner. You need to exchange contact information, and the animal may need to be quarantined.
  2. Photograph the wounds. Take pictures of all the bites, scratches, bruises, and scrapes for documentation.
  3. Report the incident to Richland County Animal Services by calling the Ombudsman's Office at (803) 929-6000. Reporting animal incidents helps Animal Services protect the community, and having the report gives you a paper trail.

Other steps you may need to take, depending on the severity of a dog attack:

  1. Contact the local police department. While this may sound extreme at first, you may need to file a police report to support medical insurance claims or if you plan to send demand letters to for dog bite injuries to request compensation.
  2. Consult an attorney. If you plan to send demand letters to for financial compensation for medical expenses and/or lost wages, a quick internet search for "dog bite lawyer in Richland County, SC " will pull up local attorneys who can help you determine if you have a case.

Let DoNotPay File Your Reports with Richland County Animal Services

DoNotPay can help you file animal incident reports with Animal Services quickly and without hassle.

How to report an animal-related incident on DoNotPay:

If you want to report an animal-related injury but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:

  1. Search "animal" on DoNotPay, find the Animal Control product, and select whether you've sustained a physical injury.

  2. Select whether you would like to report this incident to your local government agency, or demand compensation from the pet owner.

  3. Tell us more about the incident, including when and where you were injured, a description of the animal that caused the injury, and the contact information for the pet owner (if known).

And that's it! DoNotPay will file the demand letter or government report on your behalf with your incident details! You should hear back from them directly with further questions/confirmation regarding your demands.

Why Use DoNotPay for Animal Control Issues?

DoNotPay's process is fast and easy. You just need to give us the important facts, and we will file the necessary reports and issue the demand letter. You can be assured that we will make the best case for a successful outcome.

Not only do we offer this service in Richland County, but we can also help you file animal incident reports anywhere. From Atlanta to Miami, to Los Angeles, our services are available. Whether it's your neighbor's dog, a stray, or an animal attack while you are on vacation, from Texas to Pennsylvania, from Ohio to California, we can help. No matter the city, county, or state, we have you covered.

Want your issue solved now?