As a Patient, Do I Need a Medical Billing Fraud Lawyer?
Imagine you're returning home from a short hospital stay for routine surgery. Let's say you had a standard surgery like an appendectomy. A few weeks pass before the medical bills and benefit statements arrive in the mail.
Right away, you notice something is wrong. Your statements reflect all sorts of procedures you don't remember. You know you didn't have numerous X-rays, spend weeks in a hospital recovery room, or physical therapy assistance. Pouring through your bill, you also notice some procedures are listed twice or more. That can't be right. You only had one appendix to remove!
You contact the hospital, and they give you a runaround. You bounce around the phone system and leave several messages for the billing department. You're starting to wonder: "Do I need to hire a ?"
No, you don't need an attorney to fight against health care fraud. DoNotPay is here to help. You can use the app to report medical billing fraud, including Medicare fraud.
This article discusses the steps you can take by yourself to get your medical bills straightened out, and how to get billing errors fixed using DoNotPay. This could be a huge hassle, but the world's first robot lawyer makes it easy.
You Don’t Need a Medical Billing Fraud Lawyer
First, know that medical billing errors can happen, and it's not always a fraud case. Follow these steps:
- Gather all the documents and make notes regarding the care you received vs. line items you'd like to dispute. Just highlight anything that seems wrong.
- Make a copy of these papers and keep the original.
- Call the provider, play their phone games, leave some messages, and wait to hear back.
- After a week without a response, send a detailed email to the billing department.
- Wait for their response.
Usually, the billing department will make corrections and send you updated bills. Your insurer, whether it's Medicare or a private insurance company, will also send you an updated statement of benefits. The total lead time for this project should be less than 60 days or so.
What if the Provider Doesn’t Respond or Gets Nasty?
Don't be surprised if they avoid your calls or behave rudely. They're counting on the fact that you'll give up because it's hard to stand up against a huge organization like a hospital. Don't give up.
If this happens, it's time to report the healthcare provider to the insurer. They're committing medical billing fraud. You can report them by yourself or use DoNotPay. The app works for all types of insurers — even Medicare — and all kinds of care providers, like:
- Primary care physicians
- Emergency rooms
- Urgent care facilities
- And contracted service providers, like ultrasound techs
DoNotPay makes it easy to stand up against all kinds of medical bill fraud, like upcoding and unbundling, which occur when staff charges your insurance for more services than you received or more expensive care items.
How to Use DoNotPay to Fight Medical Fraud
You don't need a , you can do this in just a few clicks with DoNotPay.
If you want to find the correct CPT code and write a demand letter for bill correction but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:
- Search Fight Medical Fraud on DoNotPay.
- Tell us the date of your visit, what you were treated for, and where you were treated.
- Let us know what CPT code your visit was filed under. If you don't know, we'll generate a letter for you to send to your physician to request the code.
- Choose the correct CPT code or let us know if you want us to find it for you.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will automatically find the correct CPT code for your visit if you don't know it and then generate a demand letter on your behalf to send to your physician for a bill correction.
It's fast and easy. Now sit back and relax while your robot lawyer handles the situation. In the meantime, spend a little time browsing the app to see other paperwork tasks you can manage with the app. Remember, whenever you feel like a big organization is taking advantage of you, try DoNotPay.
Other Ways to Use DoNotPay
DoNotPay began as an app to fight unfair parking tickets. Over the years, the app has evolved to help consumers handle all kinds of red tape. You can use it to stand up to shady landlords, report lost pets, report your neighbors for illegal dumping, and so much more.
Right now, you might be interested in learning about:
|Upcoding||Report Medicare Fraud||Medicare Fraud||Health Care Fraud|
|Medicare Medical Fraud||Report Medical Billing Fraud||Upcoding and Unbundling|
Helping you with bill correction is only a drop in the bucket of our services. These are just a few examples of how we can advocate for you:
- Paying bills
- Discovering and applying for scholarships
- DMV appointments
- Filing a complaint
- Missing money issues
- Reduction of property taxes
- Free trials
- Small claims court
Remember, you don't need to pay for an expensive attorney to fight fake medical bills. Take on the biggest hospital from the comfort of home today with DoNotPay.