How To Report Lost Pets In Maine The Easy Way
When your dog or cat runs away from home or is stolen, it can be a traumatizing experience for both you and your pet. When this happens, you need to act quickly to maximize your chances of . Fortunately, DoNotPay can help you to digitally and easily report and recover lost dogs in Maine.
What to Do if I Lose My Dog in Maine
First things first, ensure that your dog is not stuck or hiding somewhere near your home or in the neighborhood. We have compiled a list of steps to take and resources to help you find your lost dog in Maine.
|Contact your local Animal Control Officer (ACO)||Look up the number of your town's Animal Control Office, or call your town's non-emergency police department line to connect with your ACO.|
|Use online tools like social media to create awareness||Online third-party tools like DoNotPay help you file a report with your local government. The Facebook pages Maine Lost Dog Recovery and Maine Lost Cat Recovery share lost pet reports and help families reunite with their furry friends. Another great option is Finding Rover, an online national database of stray pets available at shelters.|
|Share flyers with as many contacts as you can||Distribute flyers within the neighborhood, public areas, and community Facebook pages.|
|Be on the lookout||Advertisements that match your dog's description may be out there. Someone may have found and reported it, or they may be trying to sell your dog.|
What Information Should I Include in a Lost Dog Report/Flyer?
- Your correct and up-to-date contact details
- A recent photo of the lost dog
- Collar information
- The dog's name, fur color, breed, and unique identifiers
Found a Lost Dog in Maine?
If you think you have found someone's lost dog or cat, follow the following steps to help ensure the dog has the highest chances of reuniting with its family.
- Contact your town's Animal Control Officer, or call your town's non-emergency police department line to get in touch. The ACO will advise you on the next steps to take to ensure the found dog is reunited with its family.
- Report the found dog on the Maine Lost Dog Recovery Facebook page.
You'd want to make sure it is a genuinely lost pet and not a stray one.
Claiming Your Dog in Maine
Note that most animal shelters charge a claim fee for the care your dog receives while with them, which is usually not inclusive of medical care, emergency care, or grooming expenses. Additionally, animal control services charge an impound fee. The holding period at a shelter for stray pets is six days for dogs and two days for cats, as specified by law. After this period, the animal shelter can legally put up the pets for adoption.
Avoid Losing Your Dog in the Future?
You do not have to wait to lose your dog to take these preventative steps. Lower the chances of losing or having your dog stolen using these tips:
- Get your dog microchipped. If your dog is ever lost and dropped at a veterinarian's clinic or animal shelter, it will be scanned first, and your town's ACO will contact you (provided the information on it is current and correct).
- Spay or neuter your . Neutered pets do not have itchy feet to wander.
- Ensure your dog(s) has a collar and ID tag at all times.
- Have your pets stay inside for a certain amount of time after you relocate.
Report Maine Lost and Found Pets Using DoNotPay
DoNotPay offers a quick and easy way for you to file a report across all counties in Maine. This report goes into the database for lost pets, and once a pet matching your description is found, you will be notified. Avoid the hassle of tedious, inefficient paperwork and file your report within minutes!
Here's how you can use DoNotPay to report lost and found pets:
- Search "lost and found pets" on DoNotPay, and select whether you're reporting a lost pet or a pet you've found.
- Enter the date and location you lost or found the pet and tell us more about them, including the breed, gender, whether they are wearing a collar, approximate size, and more.
- Upload evidence a photo of the pet, so they can be identified, and enter your current contact information where you can be reached with updates.
And that's it! DoNotPay will file the report on your behalf, and make sure your lost or found pet gets recorded in the government directory, and they know who to contact if they find a match!
Why Use DoNotPay to Recover Lost Dogs in Maine
Your quick action is the difference between finding your lost dogs and forever losing an important part of your family. DoNotPay is the best choice to recover your lost dog because the fact is we are:
- Fast- With just a few steps we can immediately inform animal services as well as shelters of your missing dog.
- Easy- You don’t have to fill in tedious forms over and over again reporting your lost dog to several animal agencies.
- Successful- With quick action, you have more chances of recovering your lost dog.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
We can help you report your lost cat, animal abuse, get pet licenses and pet custody agreements. We also work across all states and regions.
DoNotPay offers excellent services in other areas:
- Get a copy of your divorce certificate
- Change your mailing address
- Copyright protection
- Warranty claims
And much more! Sign up or contact us to learn more.