Reporting Your Lost Dog in Arlington, Texas
Losing your dog can be a traumatic experience. Unfortunately, many lost dogs are never reunited with their owners. The sooner that you report your missing dog, the better chance you have of seeing your companion again.
Reporting your , Texas, can be a long, frustrating process. Letting DoNotPay help you file a missing dog report can help speed up the process and give you more peace of mind.
DoNotPay can also help you:
What to Do if You Lose Your Dog
There are some things you should immediately do if your dog goes missing:
|Check your home first||Look in closets, garages, around cars, basements, etc. Dogs like to hide in those places.|
|Call and verify your lost dog's microchip contact information||Make sure your info is up-to-date.|
|Determine your search radius||Narrow the area where you believe your dog could be.|
|Search the area where the dog was lost||Drive or walk through the area several times a day. Ask delivery people, neighbors, and letter carriers if they have seen your dog.|
|Report your dog missing and contact local shelters.||Visit every shelter within a 15-mile radius of your home daily and file a report with each one.|
|Use Facebook and other social media networks||This can help spread the word faster about your missing dog.|
Do Lost Dogs Usually Get Found?
The ASPCA has found that the odds of finding a dog are about 93% within the first 24 hours. However, these chances drop to about 60% after that. This is based on nationwide research, including tens of thousands of lost dogs, over multiple years. In addition, only 6% of dog owners find their lost pets at shelters.
How to Avoid Losing Your Dog
Here are some tips to help you keep your dog from getting away from your care.
- When walking your dog, wrap the leash around your wrist to prevent your dog from escaping.
- Check your fence regularly to make sure it's escape-proof
- Make sure your dog knows basic commands and practice them often. For example, if they try to run out an open-door yell, sit.
- Make sure your dog's collar fits snuggly but not too tight. This will prevent the leash from slipping off.
- Have two sets of collars and tags to replace one if you have to take one off immediately.
- Make sure that your dog's tags are up-to-date and easy to read. Be sure to update your vet and the microchip registry
- Be sure to have up-to-date photos of your dog if you need to identify your pet.
How to Find Your Lost Dog in Arlington
The Humane Society of North Texas (HSNT) recommends that if your , you should do these two things:
- Run an ad in the Arlington newspaper, the Star-Telegram,
- Consider placing magnetic signs in your car, especially if you have a large photo of your dog.
The HSNT also recommends that you post signs and posters in places such as
- Laundry mats
- Vet clinics
- Dog parks
Be sure to check with property owners to get their permission to post your signs and make sure that you're following the city ordinances for posting.
The city of Arlington has also partnered with PawBoost. It's like an Amber Alert for lost and found pets. PawBoost is a free online reporting system. Just fill out the form to register or look for your lost dog.
Next Steps to Find Your Lost Dog If You Can't Do It Yourself
If your dog is missing, you must immediately file a report with your local government. Because the sooner you file your report, the better chance your dog will be returned to you. Losing a pet can be very stressful; that's why you should let DoNotPay file an official report for you.
Here are how you can use DoNotPay to report lost and found pets:
- Search "lost and found pets" on DoNotPay, and select whether you're reporting a lost pet or a pet you've found.
- Enter the date and location you lost or found the pet and tell us more about them, including the breed, gender, whether they are wearing a collar, approximate size, and more.
- Upload evidence a photo of the pet, so they can be identified, and enter your current contact information where you can be reached with updates.
And that's it! DoNotPay will file the report on your behalf, and make sure your lost or found pet gets recorded in the government directory, and they know who to contact if they find a match!
Why Use DoNotPay to Help Find Your Lost Dog
Here's why you should let DoNotPay file a report if your dog goes missing.
- It's Fast. You don't have to spend hours gathering all the pertinent information about your dog to file the report.
- It's Easy. You don't have to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in filing your report.
- It's Convenient. All you have to do is sit in front of your laptop, follow the three steps above, and let DoNotPay do the rest.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Helping you find your lost dog is one of many things that DoNotPay helps you with.
We can also help you with the following: