How to Lure a Lost Cat Back Home
For the most part, cats are wonderful, self-cleaning, low-maintenance pets who will stay by your side for many years to come. As naturally independent creatures with an innate taste for adventure, it may be normal for your cat to come and go as it pleases, especially if it has regular access to the outdoors. But what should you do when your cat is legitimately missing?
Losing a beloved animal can be a frightening experience, but it's important to stay calm. Studies have shown that cats are likely to eventually find their own way home, even after disappearing for a few days. Even so, it's a smart idea to take action if you're worried.
While you focus on , DoNotPay can help you file an official missing pet report, doubling your chances of reuniting you with your feline friend.
What Should I Do if I Want to Lure a Missing Cat Back Home?
, try not to panic! There are a number of helpful steps you can take as you begin your search and rescue mission, as it's unlikely your fur baby has run off very far. A 2017 Missing Cat Study concluded that the average median distance a lost cat was recovered was only 50 meters from home or about 164 feet.
Here's what you should do when you need to lure a missing cat back home:
1) Put Together Your Search Kit
Gather up some of these recommended items as you get ready to search for your missing kitty:
|Flashlight||Towels||Night Vision Camera|
|Gloves||Kitty Treats||Cat Carrier|
2) Start Close to Home, and Work Your Way Outward
After assuring that your cat is not secretly somewhere inside the house, work your way from the suspected point of exit slowly searching outward.
Check in every small space, nook, and cranny outside and around the house that you can think of. Most escaped indoor cats will be especially frightened and are likely to be hiding someplace nearby.
Check under porches, decks, and bushes. Poke around inside garages, sheds, or woodpiles. Expand your search to your neighbor's property as well, with their permission.
3) Set Out Familiar Things
Some cats just need a little help finding their way back home. Make the effort to set out familiar items and aromas in an attempt to lure your cat back to the safety of home. The smell of their favorite food may be especially enticing. Try placing the following things nearby:
- Food & Water Dishes
- Cozy Cat Bed
- Blankets & Unwashed Clothes
- Used Litter Box
- Humane Bait Trap
4) Don't Give Up!
Don't give up! Time and time again, pet owners are reunited with their missing animals sometimes days, weeks, or even months after they go missing. The instinct to survive is strong in cats, and chances are they're looking for a sign from you too.
What Else Should I Do When My Cat Goes Missing?
If keeping the search close to home isn't yielding immediate results, it's time to amp things up by expanding your hunt. Hit the pavement running by getting in touch with other people and organizations who might be able to help. Take these next steps to increase your chances of finding your missing cat:
- Contact every animal shelter or rescue in your area, describe your missing cat, and inquire as to whether anyone has turned in the animal. Visit each shelter personally as often as you can.
- Get in touch with all the vet practices in the area, as it is also possible that some well-meaning stranger has brought your creature in for help.
- Is your cat microchipped? Call the microchip company to confirm that your contact information is up-to-date. In the event that the cat's chip is scanned by a rescuer, they will be able to reach you!
- Create colorful flyers with your cat's photo, description, and contact information, and post them throughout your neighborhood and community. Consider offering a reward to boost your chances of success.
- Post pleas for help online with local Facebook groups, on Nextdoor pages, or with a Craigslist ad. Other helpful online resources for lost pets include PawBoost, Pet FBI, and LostMyKitty.
- File a formal lost pet report through your city/municipality, whether that is with the local Animal Control Center of the Police Department. Their comprehensive database may turn up your missing cat quickly if a match is made.
How Can I Get Help Reporting My Missing Cat?
is an exhausting and intensive undertaking, so don't be ashamed to ask for help when your hands are already full.
DoNotPay offers an easy-to-use product called Lost and Found Pets which automates the entire process of reporting a missing animal. Here's how DoNotPay can effectively submit your lost cat report in just three simple steps:
- Search "lost and found pets" on DoNotPay, and select whether you're reporting a lost pet or a pet you've found.
- Enter the date and location you lost or found the pet and tell us more about them, including the breed, gender, whether they are wearing a collar, approximate size, and more.
- Upload evidence a photo of the pet, so they can be identified, and enter your current contact information where you can be reached with updates.
And that's it! DoNotPay will file the missing cat report on your behalf, and make sure your lost pet gets recorded in the government directory. This lets you focus on the physical search and allows you to rest easy knowing if a match is made, you'll be contacted right away!
Why DoNotPay Is the Smart Solution for Lost and Found Pets
When you're facing the emotional rollercoaster of luring your missing cat out from hiding, the last thing on your mind is paperwork.
DoNotPay cannot physically coax your cat to come home, but we can improve the odds of reuniting you with your furry pet by formally submitting your lost pet report. All you need to do is provide us with the details, and we'll handle the rest. Our services are easy, fast, and effective!
DoNotPay Does So Much More Than Help With Lost and Found Pets
Did you know DoNotPay offers a huge array of products and services that are designed to make your life easier? You can successfully solve a whole slew of problems right from the comfort of your home computer or mobile device. Take a look:
- Demand Chargebacks and Refunds
- Reduce Property Taxes
- Airline Flight Compensation Hacks
- Find Unclaimed Money
- Cancel Any Service or Subscription
Try it today and see how easy it is to tackle legal tasks with DoNotPay.