Skip the Section 8 Waiting List at Bridgeport Housing Authority

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm and is not licensed to practice law. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help.

Skip the Section 8 Waiting List at Bridgeport Housing Authority

Section 8 is a program put in place by the federal government and managed by the Department of Housing and Urban Development to help low-earning American families get access to affordable, clean, and safe housing. HUD acts in tandem with public housing authorities such as the to subsidize a family's rent by up to 70%.

This way, families can allocate the money that would have otherwise gone to rent onto other utility bills and emergencies around the home. Although these housing vouchers are meant to help families, it's not always easy or a guarantee that an applicant will be able to get them or even make it to the waiting list.

The lists are usually long, and the process can take years to complete. But you don't have to worry anymore. DoNotPay can help you apply for Section 8 quickly and successfully.

Who Is Eligible for Section 8 Housing?

The federal government usually allocates Section 8 funds every year, and PHAs like disburse the funds to eligible families. The funds are sent directly to the landlord, with the family being required to foot the rest of the rent cost, usually about 30% or 40% at any given time.

Contrary to common opinion, Section 8 housing doesn't only apply to families with children. Individuals who qualify and meet all the requirements can also get assisted housing. To qualify for Section 8 housing, you would need to meet the following requirements:

  • Be over 18 years old
  • Must not have gotten evicted from Section 8 housing in the past five years
  • Must provide references and credit checks
  • Must have no criminal records
  • Must be a US citizen
  • Have a low household income not exceeding 50% of the median area income of families your size

You cannot apply for Section 8 if you don't have a solid income. One primary requirement to apply for Section 8 housing is that you have to be able to pay your share of the rent. Income doesn't only come from employment. You may receive income from several sources, including

  • Disability benefits
  • Alimony
  • Child support
  • Veteran checks
  • Social security

How to Apply for a Section 8 Voucher on Your Own

Before applying for public housing from Bridgeport Housing Authority, it's always best to have the following information at hand:

  1. Your assets
  2. Your family size
  3. Names of all family members and respective dates of birth
  4. Family income
  5. The number of disabled or elderly household members

Here are the steps to follow to apply for Section 8 housing vouchers on your own:

  1. Visit the Park City Community's website to access the Housing Authority of the City of Bridgeport portal.
  2. Click on Applicant Login at the top of the site.
  3. Create an account by providing your name, Social Security Number, and phone number.
  4. Log in to your account and download the housing voucher form.
  5. Fill it out, submit, and wait.

You can also drop your application in person at 150 Highland Avenue, Bridgeport, CT 06604.

Once your eligibility has been determined, your name will be entered into the waitlist. If you make it to the top of the list, you will receive a letter containing instructions on the next steps. Failure to respond to the notifications or if the letter is deemed undeliverable, you will be kicked off the waiting list.

If you changed your address after applying for Section 8 housing, you must contact the Authority within ten days to make the change in writing. The Authority doesn't make any changes over the phone and all correspondence needs to include the applicant's Social Security Number for easy filing.

Using DoNotPay Is the Easiest Way to Apply for Section 8 Housing

Safe and sanitary living conditions are basic needs. So, if you urgently need Section 8 housing from Bridgeport Housing Authority, you can move the goal post quickly using DoNotPay. Our rental assistance product will help you reach out to the Bridgeport Housing Authority easily and quickly.

Filling out the paperwork can be frustrating and time-consuming, but DoNotPay takes the stress out of things for you. With our services, you can provide relevant details and place your application in a stronger position for potential expediting.

If this sounds like something worth checking out, here is how to get started:

  1. Answer a few questions about your income, family size, veteran/disability status, which county you hope to live in, etc.

  2. DoNotPay will find the PHA in charge of that county and contact them with all of your eligibility information to determine if you can start applying. They'll get back to you directly via email with the next steps.

DoNotPay Offers Several Section 8 Services

DoNotPay helps clients apply for Section 8 housing from various PHAs, including Bridgeport Housing Authority and in other cities and states. Trust DoNotPay to help you find low-income housing immediately and successfully.

What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

Aside from Bridgeport Housing Authority, we can also assist you with the following inquiries:

HUD Housing ApplicationHow to Apply for Section 8Section 8 Government Housing
How to Get Section 8 ImmediatelySection 8 VouchersWhere to Fill Out for Section 8
Apply for Section 8Section 8 Rental Assistance ProgramsSection 8 Housing Application Form
Low-Income Housing

If you're looking for an easy and affordable way of applying for Section 8 housing from the Bridgeport Housing Authority, DoNotPay can help. However, our services reach far beyond housing-related services. We can also help you:

Take advantage of DoNotPay today to get access to affordable government housing.

Want your issue solved now?