How To Regain Access To Your Hacked AOL Account Easily
Every day, Internet users deal with hackers. It is an unfortunate reality that as more and more people use the Internet for communication, work, and pleasure, there are unscrupulous individuals who want to gain access to your data. Hacking is especially prevalent with email accounts.
AOL is one of the most popular email services around, and even though you might be lulled into believing that a strong password protects you, your AOL account can still be hacked. If you suspect that your , this guide will help you understand how to act quickly to secure it and describe how DoNotPay can help you recover your hacked account with ease.
How to Tell if Your AOL Account Was Hacked
Some hackers can be subtle, leading you to suspect nothing. However, if you notice any of the signs below, you should act immediately since they are all telltale clues that your AOL account might have been hacked.
- Strange emails in your sent folder signify that your AOL account has been hacked.
- Password reset emails that you did not initiate should send up red flags immediately.
- If email contacts notify you that they have been receiving odd emails from you, take action. This could be a hacking sign.
- Most alarmingly, if your password has been changed, then your AOL account has likely been hacked.
A can be scary and even traumatic, but it is important to keep a level head and work to restore your privacy.
What to Do if Your AOL Account Was Hacked
Here are some things you can try on your own if your AOL account has been hacked.
1. Change Your Password
If you can, change your password immediately. You should choose a password that is very different from your old AOL password and one that won't easily be guessed based on any of your data since hackers might have already gained access to this information.
2. Review and Verify Any Personal Account Information
If you manage to get back into your hacked AOL account, quickly check to see if any emails in your inbox, sent, and deleted folders contain sensitive personal information. If they do, delete them immediately and move them to trash so hackers won’t recover them.
3. Debug Your Computer and Sweep Your Inbox
Do a scan on your computer as quickly as possible to identify and remove any viruses or other malignant software. A virus might have initially caused the hacked AOL account, so identifying any threats on your computer system will help to ferret out the root cause. If you don't have antivirus software installed on your computer, consider downloading an antivirus program - many are free or at a reduced cost.
4. Contact AOL Support
If you find that you are completely locked out of your AOL account, you should contact AOL support through the following methods:
- By phone at 1-800-358-4860.
- Live chat
Be prepared to tell the agent that your AOL account was hacked and that you need to secure it. The agent will verify your personal information and walk you through any necessary steps to recover your hacked AOL account.
While you might ultimately successfully recover your hacked AOL account through any of the above methods, they can also be very time-consuming. Additionally, by the time you run through the list of options to try to recover your account, the hacker could have already gained access to even more sensitive personal information. When the clock is ticking, and you need to recover your hacked AOL account, turn to DoNotPay, the fast, easy, successful way to get back and secure your hacked AOL account.
How to Recover Your AOL Account With DoNotPay
If you want to recover your AOL account but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 4 easy steps:
- Open the Recover Hacked Account product on DoNotPay and tell us the name of the company or platform of your hacked account.
- Enter the information associated with your account, such as your username.
- Tell us whether you have paid for the account and would like a refund.
- And that’s it! We will send a demand letter on your behalf with a two-week deadline for the company’s representatives to help you recover your account.
And that's it! DoNotPay will help recover your hacked account without any stress on your part.
DoNotPay Helps Recover Any Hacked Account
DoNotPay is your one-stop solution for managing your online footprint. DoNotPay is fast, easy, and successful in recovering your hacked AOL account. In addition to recovering your AOL account, DoNotPay can help with the following:
DoNotPay is the safest, easiest way to manage your privacy online and recover your hacked accounts!