Everything About The Travis County State Jail
The Travis County State Jail, located in Austin, Texas, is a minimum-security prison that can hold a maximum of 1161 male offenders who benefit greatly from keeping in touch with family and friends. The facility used to be an institution for the mentally ill before its conversion to prison in 1997. Today it houses both adults and juvenile offenders sentenced to short periods of incarceration.
The Travis County State Jail environment is one where adult inmates work to quickly re-enter society and where juvenile offenders can quickly get back to family, educational opportunities, or jobs. Many inmates find valuable employment opportunities at the facility working in janitorial, kitchen, and laundry services. Although most inmates don't spend more than two years here, it is still important to maintain contact via calls, visitation, and letters.
The Travis County Jail Contact and Location Information
|Physical Address||Travis County State Jail, State Prison
8101 FM 969
Austin, TX 78724
|Phone Number||(512) 926-4482 ext. 118|
|Website||Travis County State Jail|
Basic Travis County State Jail Statistics
- Number of employees: 264
- Size: 95 acres
- Open bay dormitory-style housing, minimum-security
- Most offenders are incarcerated two years or less
How to Contact Inmates at the Travis County State Jail
Inmate Mailing Address
Inmate Name, TDCJ ID Number
8101 FM 969
Austin, TX 78724
If you need to mail Travis County State Jail, not an inmate, its legal mailing address is:
Travis County State Jail
8101 FM 969
Austin, TX 78724
All mail will be inspected for contraband before being sent to an offender. Photographs cannot be more than 4"x6" and cannot contain nudity or sexual images. Only books and magazines sent directly from a publisher (as in a subscription) can be sent; all others will be rejected.
Inmate Telephone and Visitation Lists
Inmates are responsible for adding or deleting names on jail visitation and call lists. If you don't know whether your name has been added to one of these lists, you can contact the unit at (936) 295-6371 or toll-free at (800) 535-0283 from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
You must register your phone number before calling an inmate. You'll need the inmate's TDCJ ID Number to register.
- Before you can receive calls from a TDCJ offender, you must first register your telephone number.
- Note: You will need the offender's TDCJ ID Number to register to receive phone calls from him or her. If you do not know their number, you can find it through the online offender search or by phone at (936) 295-6371 or (800) 535-0283. The phones are answered from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
- For questions about Offender Telephone registration, please call (866) 806-7804.
Inmates at the Travis County State Jail cannot receive incoming calls. But you can set up a prepaid account so that the inmate you want to contact can call you. Setting up an account online isn't hard, and it's convenient to add money as you need to.
Inmate Visitation Guidelines
Inmates at the Travis State Jail are allowed a single two-hour visit each weekend between the hours of 7 am to 5 pm. Visitors must be on the inmate's approved visitation list. All visits will end promptly at 5 pm, so if you come after 3 pm, you won't get your full two hours in for a visit. Make sure that you contact the facility to make sure that the person you are visiting is still incarcerated and receiving visitors.
Those visiting inmates must have their ID address match the address the jail has on file for you, or you won't be able to visit. You can bring up to two $20 Ziploc bags, in quarters only, to use in the facility vending machines.
Sending Money to an Inmate at the Travis State Jail
When an inmate gets booked into the Travis County State Jail, he gets a trust account that you can add funds to, and you can make purchases on eCommDirect so purchases can be made at the commissary. However, you must be on the inmate's approved visitor or telephone list.
3 Ways to Send Funds to an Inmate
- Money can be sent to an inmate through JPay. You can do this at a lobby kiosk at the jail.
- Access Corrections online can also be used. You'll need a MasterCard or Visa debit.
- Call 512-926-4482 to make a payment over the phone.
DoNotPay’s Inmate Connection at the Travis County State Jail
DoNotPay connects you with your loved ones and friends at the Travis State Jail in Austin, TX, so you can send money or correspondence quickly and easily. There's nothing better than a one-stop-shop that helps you get what you need to get done fast, so you can get on with your day.
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
We created DoNotPay to make your life more manageable. What can we do for you today?
- Navigating Credit Card Issues
- How to be an Inmate Pen Pal
- Cancel Unwanted Memberships Without a Fuss
- Flight Cancellation Reimbursement Without a Fight
- Where You Can Find Your Unclaimed Money
- Dealing with Stalking and Harassment
- How to Find and Enroll in Free Trials