How to Reach Out to an Inmate at Smithfield State Correctional Institution
If you have a loved one or friend who is an inmate at Smithfield State Correctional Institution (SCI Smithfield), you'll need information about the best way to contact them. This Pennsylvania Department of Corrections men's facility has the capacity to house about 1,300 prisoners.
SCI Smithfield was opened in 1988 when the Pennsylvania prison system was experiencing overcrowding. Currently, it is also currently being used to temporarily quarantine incoming prisoners to ensure they are not positive for the coronavirus before they are transferred to other facilities.
Where Is Smithfield State Correctional Institution?
The facility and grounds cover 31 acres and are located near Huntingdon in the Allegheny Mountains. The physical address can be used to send mail to the facility (but not inmates) or legal mail.
|Address||Smithfield State Correctional Institution
1120 Pike Street
Huntingdon, PA 16652
|Phone Number||+1 814-643-6520|
Ways You Can Contact Inmates at Smithfield State Correctional Institution
There are a few different ways to contact inmates at SCI Smithfield, and it's important to know the rules associated with each method.
Currently, in-person visitation is limited to people who are vaccinated against Covid-19. Video visitation is available for others.
- You must go online to schedule a visit.
- When you log in, you will be able to choose from available time slots based on the inmate's housing assignment.
- Visiting hours are Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM.
- Each inmate is allowed to have four in-person visits per month. One of these may be on the weekend.
- In-person visits are guaranteed to be a minimum of an hour long.
- Four visitors (including children) are permitted to be with an inmate at a time.
- All visitors must follow all security procedures as well as all visiting room rules.
- Visits may be canceled for a number of reasons. You will be notified by email by the morning of your visit if a cancellation occurs.
- Schedule a visit online.
- Guides are available online for visits using IOS devices, Android devices, and Windows.
- Each inmate is allowed to have six video visits per month, and one of them may be on the weekend.
- As many as six visitors are allowed on a video call.
How to Send Money
All funds deposited in inmate accounts are handled by JPay. There are three ways for friends and family to deposit money in an account.
- Directly online at JPay.com.
- Through their website with a money order.
- Using a kiosk located in the lobby at SCI Smithfield.
How to Send Mail
If you want to write to a loved one or pen pal at SCI Smithfield, you must follow the procedures for writing letters to prisoners, or your correspondence will not reach them. All mail is handled by a third-party vendor called Smart Communications.
You must address a letter to an inmate like this:
Smart Communications/PA DOC
Inmate Name/Inmate Number
Smithfield State Correctional Institution
PO Box 33028
St. Petersburg, Florida 33733
Prisoners may receive written correspondence such as letters, greeting cards, pictures, and children's drawings, but not bound materials or legal or privileged correspondence.
General incoming correspondence must have a full return address with the first and last name of the person who sent it, as well as the full and correct inmate name or number.
Phone calls can be made by inmates using a prepaid service called Securus. There are three ways to set up an account.
- By phone: 800-844-6591
- Email at email@example.com
- Through the Securus WEBSITE
DoNotPay Can Help You Get in Touch With Your Loved One
Even if you're not sure where they're located, DoNotPay makes it easy to locate and contact an inmate. Simply follow these steps:
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
It's just that simple!
Let DoNotPay Help Solve Problems for You
Connecting loved ones in prison is just a small part of what DoNotPay has to offer. We're the experts at making it easy to tackle annoying issues, such as:
- Generate defamation demand letters
- Defend your work against copyright infringement
- Find unclaimed funds under your name
- Get in touch with your incarcerated loved ones
- Sign up for services without phone verification
- Create a child travel consent form
Try DoNotPay today. We're sure you'll love the convenience and ease of our many services.