What Should I Do With My Ripped 100 Dollar Bills

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm, is not licensed to practice law, and is not equivalent to the services of a licensed lawyer. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help, and does not offer legal services. Third party news articles mentioned on our website do not necessarily reflect the views of the company, or the current services that we offer.

What Should I Do With My Ripped 100 Dollar Bills

Dollar bills that are no longer fit for circulation are removed from the system by the Federal Reserve System. However, you might have ripped or spoiled dollar bills that were accidentally damaged and that you still want to use.

Your local bank will allow you to only under several conditions. Sometimes, this redemption through your bank is impossible, or the process is tedious. Use DoNotPay to successfully redeem your ripped 100 dollar bills without the hassle.

What Is Damaged Currency?

Different degrees of damage on money dictate how you will redeem them. The Department of Treasury classifies damaged money into these different categories:

Mutilated moneyMutilated currency is money damaged to a point where it is hard to determine its value and where at least half of the bill is present. Mutilated money can result from fire, chemical contact, water, animal damage, and any other form of damage that might occur to money.
Unfit moneyUnfit paper currency is worn-out bills deemed not usable to the public by the Federal Reserve system due to their physical condition.

Currency can only be declared unfit by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing after receiving them from the public and the Federal Reserve Bond. Before declaring money unfit, the BEP must critically analyze the money and prove that its value cannot be determined.

Bent and partial coinsBent or partial coins are currencies that have been deformed, punched, twisted out of shape, and cannot be counted using a machine. The coins, however, must be identifiable to genuineness and denomination.

The United States Mint established the Mutilated Coin Redemption Program, where you can exchange burnt coins or other damaged coins for reimbursement.

How to Redeem Ripped 100 Dollars by Yourself

If you have ripped or otherwise damaged 100 dollar bills, you can redeem them by yourself through your local bank or the Mutilated Currency Division at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP).

However, you can only redeem your damaged 100 dollar bills at the bank if 50% of the note is identifiable. Below are ways you can redeem your by yourself:

1. Take the Ripped Dollar Bills to a Bank

To redeem your ripped or burnt money at a bank, ensure that the value of the money is still readable, and you have at least 50% of the original note.

If your bill has been ripped in any other way, carry all the available pieces to your local bank and hand them to the teller. The teller will replace the bill with a worthy one without a doubt.

2. Write to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing

If your dollar bills are damaged beyond essential recognition, your bank might not help you. Instead, send your damaged money to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing for reimbursement. You can either send your spoiled money to BEP through mail or deliver it in person.

To send your money to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing through physical mail, write a letter to BEP stating the value of your ripped bills and how they became mutilated. In addition, fill out Form 5283 on the BEP’s website. Pack the ripped money together with the letter and send it to the following address for the United States Postal Service (USPS) users:

Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP)

Mutilated Currency Division, Room 344-A

P.O. Box 37048

Washington, DC 20013

If using a private carrier, please use the following street address:

Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Mutilated Currency Division, Room 344-A

14th and C Streets, SW

Washington, DC 20228

You should request a return receipt, which will be mailed to you by Postal Services.

To check the status of your claim, you can call the Bureau of Engraving and Printing toll-free at 866-575-2361 or email the office at mcdstatus@bep.gov. BEP will redeem your ripped bills even if 50% of the note is not available. However, the denomination and value of the bill should be legible.

3. Deliver the Ripped 100 Dollar Bills to BEP in Person

If you are in or near Washington, D.C., you can hand in your ripped dollar bills to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing offices in person.

The bureau accepts personal deliveries of damaged bills Monday to Friday between 8:00 am and 11:30 am and between 12:30 pm and 2:00 pm.

BEP does not accept walk-in deliveries during:

  • Weekends
  • holidays

How to Pack Damaged Money for Mailing

Before mailing or handing over your spoiled dollar bills to the bureau of Engraving and Printing, ensure that it is appropriately packed, following these three steps:

  1. Wrap your money carefully with a cotton cloth
  2. Place the money in a plastic ziplock
  3. Do not mix notes and coins

Redeem Ripped 100 Dollar Bills With the Help of DoNotPay

There is no sure way of redeeming your since your local bank might reject your ripped bills for various reasons. In addition, getting a response on your damaged money from the BEP for redemption takes a long time because many people use this service.

To quickly and successfully redeem your ripped 100 dollar bills, use DoNotPay.

How to Get Your Damaged Bills Replaced Using DoNotPay

Instead of filling out the Form 5283 and any other paperwork by yourself, turn to DoNotPay for help.

If you want to get your damaged bills replaced but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:

  1. Go to the Redeem Damaged Money product on DoNotPay.
  2. Enter the total dollar amount you would like to redeem.
  3. Tell us what happened, what led to the money becoming damaged, and when the incident occurred.
  4. Enter your contact information.
  5. Verify that all of the statements you have made are correct.

And that's it! DoNotPay will generate the form on your behalf. All you have to do is download and print the form and mail it to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing along with your damaged currency, so they can conduct an evaluation.

Other Helpful Services From DoNotPay

Other than helping you redeem your ripped 100 dollar bills, DoNotPay brings a myriad of different services to you. We work in collaboration with government entities and private companies to solve all your long processes easily, quickly, and in the most convenient way.

Sign up today to enjoy these services and much more:

Want your issue solved now?