How to Connect With Inmate in North Carolina Prisons and Jails
North Carolina has 36,000 state prisons, 11,000 federal prisons, and 19,000 local jails. It has an incarceration rate of 617 per 100,000 people (including jails, prisons, juvenile justice, and immigration detention facilities). This means that lock up a higher percentage of its residents than any democracy in the world.
Moreover, the number of people affected by city and county jails in NC is larger because people quickly cycle through local jails. Almost 128,000 different people are booked into local jails in NC every year.
North Carolina Prisons and Jails
Here is a list of some . Each of these correctional facilities has its own rules and regulations regarding sending inmates money, visits, packages, mail, etc.
|Bertie Correctional Institution||1,400|
|Caledonia Correctional Institution||1,038|
|Neuse Correctional Institution||816|
|North Carolina Correctional Institution for Women||1,288|
|Lanesboro Correctional Institution||1,800|
|Lumberton Correctional Institution||768|
|Morrison Correctional Institution||801|
|Pasquotank Correctional Institution||896|
|Pender Correctional Center||740|
|Piedmont Correctional Institution||952|
|Hyde Correctional Institution||736|
|Maury Correctional Institution||896|
|Scotland Correctional Institution||1,756|
|Southern Correctional Institution||624|
|Tabor Correctional Institution||1,700|
|Albemarle Correctional Institution||816|
|Alexander Correctional Institution||1,180|
|Avery Mitchell Correctional Institution||816|
|Brown Creek Correctional Institution||1,204|
How to Contact Inmates in North Carolina Prisons and Jails
Choose one of these options to contact inmates in North Carolina prisons and jails:
1. Send mail: Letters are one of the most critical ways to connect with loved ones in prison. In North Carolina, prisoners could send and receive unlimited mail. They can also receive non-polaroid and decent photos no larger than 8"x10". Always include your complete return address and format the inmate's address as follows:
Inmate Name, ID Number
PO Box or Street address
City, State, Zip Code
2. Phone calls: Inmates in NC can make prepaid calls and outgoing collect calls to family and friends. The inmate's housing assignment and custody level will determine the number of calls they can make. Inmates cannot receive an incoming call unless it's an emergency. In which case, you may contact the facility explaining the situation and providing the relevant names, phone numbers, etc., for verification. You can purchase telephone time for calls through GTL by calling them at 1-800-483-8314 or visiting their site ConnectNetwork.com.
3. In-person visit: you can visit the inmate for face-to-face contact.
How to Send Money to Inmates in North Carolina
Inmates can access money sent in their account to buy things like clothing, stamps, stationery, hygiene items, games, electronics, etc., from the commissary. You can send money to an inmate in a range of ways, including:
- Through the internet: Deposit funds to the inmate's account through JPay. You'll pay a fee of $3.45-$10.65.
- By walk-in: Visit any MoneyGram location and use the received code 1224. You'll be charged a flat fee of $6.70.
- By phone: You can also deposit money to your NC inmate's account over the phone by calling JPay at 1-800-574-5729. A transaction fee may range from $4.45 to11.65.
- By mail: Alternatively, you can use the free option of sending letters to the inmates. But mailing is the slowest way to send money. To send mail, buy a US Postal Money order paid to JPay. Be sure to add the inmate's name and ID number, fill out NC inmate money order deposit slip, and send them to
P.O. Box 173070
Hialeah, FL 33017
To send money to your inmate, you have to know their:
- ID number
- Current facility or where they're being held
How to Send a Package to North Carolina Prisons and Jails
If you're planning to send a package to an inmate in North Carolina prisons and jails, you'll have to send it to the approved vendor Union Supply Direct. The chaplain at the facility where the inmate resides has to pre-approve orders for the inmate for it to be accepted.
Inmates in NC can also receive newspapers, magazines, and books sent directly from the publisher. So You can order publications from amazon.com and have them delivered straight to the inmate's name, mailing address, and ID number. Click here to learn more about sending packages to inmates in NC.\
Steps to Take Before Contacting a Prisoner
Follow these steps before contacting your loved one in prison:
1. Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
2. Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
3. If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
4. If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
5. If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
DoNotPay can also help you communicate with inmates through these options:
- Inmate visitation
- Write a prisoner
- Writing letters to inmates
- Addressing a letter to an inmate
- Prison pen pals
Difficulties You May Encounter When Contacting a Loved One in North Carolina Prisons and Jails
Communication is one of the most common challenges that people with loved ones in North Carolina prisons and jails face. Prisons and jails often restrict communication and even partner with private firms to exploit families trying to keep in touch.
Communication in prisons and jails isn't the same as your daily communication, where you pick up the phone and call or drop a message. Phone calls are restricted and expensive. In fact, people pay up to $1 per minute or more to make a call because prisons and jails grant monopoly phone contracts to the company that charges the most.
If you're sending mail, you have to follow some strict measures to ensure your loved one receives it. For example, you'll need to use a specific envelope and not attach some type of image, etc. Add that to the fact that you have to send the mail through a post office, and you begin to understand why the whole process is daunting. But you don't have to do it alone. DoNotPay can help streamline communication.
How DoNotPay Can Help You Connect With Inmates in North Carolina Prisons and Jails
Staying in touch with inmates helps them feel less lonely. But the hassles of contacting them can discourage you from reaching out. Luckily, solutions exist to help ensure this doesn't happen. One such solution is DoNotPay's Connect with Inmate product, which simplifies sending letters.
Thanks to our newly integrated mailing technology and encrypted database, you can mail inmates in North Carolina prisons and jails straight from our website or app. You can also get responses from inmates for an easy two-way communication experience.
DoNotPay Can Help You Locate Your Imprisoned Friend
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay does so much more than help you connect with inmates. We work across other industries, entities, and companies with a touch of a dial and can help you:
- Fight speeding tickets
- Get revenge on robocalls
- Help you free yourself from spam mail forever
- Deal with bills you are unable to pay to
- Find any unclaimed funds under your name
- Contest parking tickets
Sign up today to get started!