What You Need to Know About Hawaiian Airlines’ Emotional Support Animal Policies
Do you have an emotional support animal (ESA) and want to take it to Hawaii with you? If you plan on using Hawaiian Airlines, there are several things you need to know.
You have to follow Hawaiian Airlines’ policies on emotional support animals. DoNotPay can help you navigate through the issues of getting your ESA on your flight.
You'll need to send an official ESA letter signed by a licensed mental health professional to travel with an ESA. This can take a lot of time and effort. That's why you should let DoNotPay craft the letter for you.
DoNotPay can also help you prepare ESA letters for the following:
What Is an Emotional Support Animal?
An emotional support animal provides companionship for people suffering from mental health issues. ESAs can help ease anxiety, depression, and specific phobias. To be considered an ESA, a licensed mental health professional must prescribe the pet to a person with a disabling mental illness.
However, ESAs are not considered service animals. People with ESAs do not receive the same accommodation as service dog users. For example, ESAs are not covered under the ADA like service pets are. Public areas are not legally required to allow ESAs, and as of recently, airlines are not required to accommodate them either.
Hawaiian Airlines and Emotional Support Animals
As of January 11, 2021, Hawaiian Airlines no longer accepts emotional support animals as service animals. However, emotional support animals can be transported as pets if all pet acceptance requirements are met.
For the pet to travel in the passenger cabin, you must follow these four rules:
- Pets are only allowed on inter-island flights and flights between the state of Hawaii and North America (except flights to/from JFK, BOS, MCO, or AUS).
- Dogs and cats are the only pets allowed.
- Your pet must be in a carrier that fits comfortably under the seat in front of you.
- You can book your pet in the passenger cabin while booking the flight for yourself.
You can also book your pet as check-in baggage. Here's what you need to know if you go that route:
- Your pet and the kennel must not weigh more than seventy pounds. If the combined weight is more than seventy pounds, they may transport your pet in the Cargo Department.
- Your pet will be loaded into the baggage compartment.
- You may book your pet at the same time as you reserve your flight.
How to Get Your Emotional Support Animal on Hawaiian Airlines on Your Own
You'll need to prove that your pet is an ESA. To do that you need to have an official ESA letter signed by a licensed mental health professional. They will provide you with an ESA letter upon request. If you don't have a current mental health professional, you can go online and schedule an appointment with a certified mental health professional and get a signed letter within a few days.
|Any of the following licensed healthcare specialists can write up an ESA letter:||
|Some of the common mental conditions that qualify individuals to receive an ESA letter:||
Next Steps for Getting an Emotional Support Animal on Hawaiian Airlines if You Can’t Do It Yourself
Through our new Service and Emotional Support Animals solution, DoNotPay can help you with all your ESA-related concerns, including asking Hawaiian Airlines about their accommodation options and finding the most affordable online ESA-letter service.
Here's how DoNotPay can help:
- Search "service animal" on DoNotPay.
- Select the type of issue you need help with, including contacting your landlord about your ESA/service animal, asking your airline about ESA options, or requesting ESA/service accommodations at other venues.
- Answer a series of questions about your current situation and the details of your ESA/service animal, so we can generate the best results for you.
And that's it! Depending on your issue, DoNotPay will generate a letter to Hawaiian Airlines and mail it on your behalf. We'll also contact the airline and get back to you with an answer, and if necessary, we'll send a letter to your mental health professional requesting an ESA letter.
Why Use DoNotPay to Get an Emotional Support Animal on Hawaiian Airlines
Here's why you should let DoNotPay help you get an emotional support animal on Hawaiian Airlines.
- It's fast. You won't have to spend hours looking for a licensed mental health professional and days waiting for a signed official ESA letter.
- It's easy. You don't have to struggle filling out tedious forms or keeping track of various steps to complete the process.
- It's successful. You can rest easy knowing that we'll help you find the best solution.
More DoNotPay Products for Your Pets
DoNotPay also has these pet-related products:
- Pet Licenses
- Lost and Found Pets
- Pet Custody Agreement
- Report Animal Abuse
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Helping you get an emotional support animal on Hawaiian Airlines is just one of many things DoNotPay can help you with. DoNotPay also provides the following services:
- Animal control
- Fair Housing Act for Emotional Support Animals
- Canceling any service or subscription
- Airline flight compensation
- Hotel upgrades
- Small claims court