How to Find Free Dental Clinics In San Diego
Dental care is essential to maintaining the quality of life. Damaged teeth can keep you from enjoying the foods you love and impact your confidence when you smile. The California Dental Association estimates that there are over five million California residents without dental insurance, which may be pricing them out of dental care. If you are in need of , DoNotPay can help you find a clinic.
California's Medicaid program is called Medi-Cal. Medi-Cal Dental is the dental services portion of Medi-Cal. You may also see Medi-Cal Dental called Denti-Cal. The Medi-Cal Dental programs vary between counties. Most counties, including San Diego, are part of Smile California, a fee-for-service program, while Los Angeles and Sacramento Counties participate in Dental Managed Care. Medi-Cal covers many dental services, including
To be eligible for Medi-Cal, you must be an uninsured or underinsured US citizen or legal alien with low income. For a single person, the threshold in California is $17,609 (138% of the federal poverty level). For each additional person in the household, the limit increases by $6,183. You must also meet one of the following conditions:
- Be 65 or older
- Be pregnant
- Be blind or have a disability
- Have someone in the home with a disability
- Be responsible for a child 21 or younger
- Live in a skilled nursing or intermediate care home
- Be on refugee status for a limited time
- Have been screened for breast or cervical cancer
You are also eligible if you receive benefits from one of these programs:
- Foster Care or Adoption Assistance Program
- Refugee Assistance
- Supplemental Security Income
- State Supplementary Payment
Even if your income does not qualify you for Medi-Cal, you may still be eligible for financial assistance through Covered California.
Applying for Medi-Cal or Covered California Assistance
There are five ways to apply for Medi-Cal:
- In-person – You can get help with your application when you apply in person at a county social services office.
- By mail – You can mail your application directly to the program at Covered California, P.O. Box 989725, West Sacramento, CA 95798 or to a Health and Human Services office in the county.
- Over the phone – Call 800-300-1506 to apply. Phone lines are open Monday to Friday from 8 am to 8 pm and Saturday 8 am to 6 pm.
- Fax your application in – Send it to 888-329-3700.
- Online at Covered California
If you have any questions while completing your application, you can call Covered California at 800-300-1506 for assistance.
Low-Cost Dental Clinics in San Diego
If you are covered by Medi-Cal Dental, you can visit smilecalifornia.org to search for a dentist near you. There are several clinics in the San Diego area that service the uninsured or underinsured population. These are a few that provide dental care to both children and adults:
|American Indian Health Center; 2630 First Ave. San Diego, CA 92103||(619) 234-2158||2630 First Ave. San Diego, CA 92103||Accepts all San Diego residents one year and up.
Accepts some private insurance and Medi-Cal.
|Comprehensive Health Center||(619) 231-9300||3177 Oceanview Blvd. San Diego, CA 92113||Accepts all legal San Diego residents with Medi-Cal and some private insurance.|
|Fallbrook Family Health Center||(760) 451-2912||593 E. Elder Street, Suite B. Fallbrook, CA 92028||Accepts all San Diego County residents. Services charged based on ability to pay|
|San Ysidro Health Care Center||(619) 662.4100||4050 Beyer Blvd., 3rd Floor. San Ysidro, CA 92173||Accepts patients 3 years and up.
Sliding scale for services provided. Medi-Cal and some private insurance are accepted.
|TrueCare Ramon||(760) 736-6767||220 Rotanzi St, Ramona, CA 92065||Accepts patients 3 years and up. Sliding scale for services provided. Medi-Cal and some private insurance are accepted.|
If you cannot get service at a clinic near you, the California Dental Association Foundation hosts CDA Cares, a series of events where dentists volunteer their services at no charge. Each event provides service to almost 2,000 California residents.
Get Your Teeth Taken Care of for Free With DoNotPay
Need ? DoNotPay can help you find free dental clinics in just three steps:
- Search "dentist" on DoNotPay.
- Enter your current address, so we can find the clinic nearest to you.
- Select whether you would like to ask a question about your eligibility, receive a quote for a specific procedure, or set up an appointment.
Shorten Your Search With DoNotPay
Do you feel like you spend too much time looking for the tools or information you need to get something done? The research takes more time out of your day than the actual task. You can save that time with DoNotPay. We've got shortcuts for a variety of needs, including
- Appealing Parking Tickets
- Creating a Power of Attorney
- Suing Someone in Small Claims Court
- Canceling Unwanted Subscriptions
- Filing Insurance Claims
and a lot more. Try DoNotPay today and watch your productivity soar!