Get Low-Income Housing In Stamford, CT Without the Wait

iEditorial Note: These blog posts represent the opinion of DoNotPay’s Writers, but each person’s situation and circumstances vary greatly. As a result, you should make sure to do your own independent research. Because everyone is unique, our self-help tools are never guaranteed to help with any specific situation. DoNotPay is not a law firm and is not licensed to practice law. DoNotPay provides a platform for legal information and self-help.

Get Low-Income Housing In Stamford, CT Without the Wait

These days, many people have a hard time putting together enough money to pay their monthly rent. Fortunately, Connecticut offers a number of rental assistance programs and dedicated , and other cities in the Constitution State.

Low-Income Housing Programs in CT

  • The Connecticut State Department of Housing oversees subsidized low-income housing in Fairfield County. When available, Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV) help indigent individuals and families to rent safe and sanitary housing from private landlords.
  • My Place CT is a branch of the Department of Social Services that offers rental help to needy individuals and families via the Rental Assistance Program (RAP). Similar to Section 8, the RAP typically has a very long waiting list. When openings become available, they are posted on the United Way website.
  • The Section 811 Project-Based Rental Assistance (PRA) program assists disabled, low-income individuals with housing subsidies, as well.
  • Project-based subsidies provide affordable housing in apartment communities that are approved by the Department of Housing and Urban Development or HUD. Such housing may or may not be ideal but offers a reasonable place to stay while waiting for a Section 8 voucher to come through.

Housing projects that receive funding via the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program reserve a number of apartments for very low-income people and rents are based on individual income.

Typically, household income limits are 50 to 60 percent of the local median income, and rents are capped at 30 percent of adjusted median income.

There are dozens of low-income government housing apartment communities in and around the Stamford area. Here are just a few of them:

Bayview Towers

300 Tresser Blvd.

(203) 964-1445
Park Square West

101 Summer Street

(203) 353-9000
Metro Green Residential

717 Atlantic Street

(203) 961-1010
Summer Place Apartments

992 Summer Street

(203) 977-1400
Shippan Place

521 Shippan Avenue

(855) 969-5378
Belltown School Elderly Housing

21 Burdick Street

(203) 998-0889

What Is Section 8?

Overseen by HUD, the Section 8 program helps indigent families and individuals dwell in properly maintained, sanitary, safe housing. Housing options include single-family dwellings, condominiums, townhouses, and subsidized apartments. Persons receiving Section 8 benefits are not required to live in public housing projects, according to BenefitsGov.

How to Apply for Section 8 by Yourself

It's been a very long time since it was easy to get Section 8 immediately. These days, there are massive waiting lists, so expect to get in line and wait for a while.

Noting that 48,000 applicants got on Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program & State Rental Assistance Program (RAP) waiting lists when they were opened in 2007, the Connecticut Department of Housing says it does not anticipate re-opening applications in the foreseeable future.

The DOH does recommend registering for the HCV program online. Once registered, you will receive updates if and when the Section 8 and/or Rental Assistance Programs reopen. You can also try calling the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) in Hartford at (860) 240-4800 to request a copy of their Looking for HUD-Associated Rental Housing in Connecticut booklet.

Each housing authority has its own rules for when and where to apply for rental assistance. So, even when the state authority has no open waiting lists, others may.

At the time of this writing, the Charter Oak Communities (formerly Stamford Housing Authority) is accepting applications for rental assistance. Download and fill out an application form and mail it to

Charter Oaks Communities

22 Clinton Avenue

Stamford, CT 06901

You may also send your application via email to Charter Oak Communities.

What if There Were an Easier Way to Apply for Low Income Housing in Stamford?

If calling every low-income apartment in Stamford, or waiting in line to get on a waiting list, isn't your idea of fun, let DoNotPay handle the frustrating details.

Here’s How It Works:

  1. Answer a few questions about your income, family size, veteran/disability status, which county you hope to live in, etc.
  2. DoNotPay will find the PHA in charge of that county and contact them with all of your eligibility information to determine if you can start applying. They'll get back to you directly via email with the next steps.

DoNotPay is:

  1. Fast—You don't have to spend hours trying to solve the issue.
  2. Easy—You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in solving your problem.
  3. Successful—You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you.

DoNotPay is dedicated to taking the hassle out of everyday life. We deal with all sorts of problems for all kinds of people. As far as landlord and rental issues go, we take care of a lot of them, including

  • DoNotPay can get your security deposit back.
  • DoNotPay can help you evict a bad roommate.
  • DoNotPay can help you evade eviction.
  • DoNotPay can force a landlord to make needed repairs.
  • DoNotPay can stop your landlord from forcing you to move without notice.
  • DoNotPay can tell you all about renter's rights in your area.
  • DoNotPay can file a formal complaint against your landlord.
  • DoNotPay can file a small claims lawsuit.

If you need us to help you , we can get started right away. We make applying for Section 8 and other programs easier than ever. Need help with something else? right away!

Want your issue solved now?