LAST UPDATED: August 22, 2023
PLEASE READ THIS PRIVACY NOTICE CAREFULLY. IT SETS FORTH THE LEGALLY BINDING TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR THE COLLECTION, SHARING, AND USE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
Introduction and Overview
This Privacy Notice describes how DoNotPay, Inc. (“DoNotPay,” “We,” “Us” or “Our”) collects, shares, and uses information about you (“You”). It applies to Your use of any online service location (e.g., website or mobile app) that posts a link to this Privacy Notice and all features, content, and other services that We own, control, and make available through such service location (collectively, the “Service”). It does not apply to our data collection activities offline or outside of our Service (unless otherwise stated below or at the time of collection).
By using the Service, You agree to Our Terms of Service and consent to Our collection, use and disclosure practices, and other activities as described in this Privacy Notice.
1. Information Collection
1.1. Information You Provide To Us. We collect information You provide directly to Us via the Service. For example, We collect information when You use the Service, register for the Service, connect Your email or shopping accounts to the Service, take action regarding claims, update Your account or profile, subscribe to Our emails, mobile messages, or social media notifications, participate in a sweepstakes, contest, promotion, survey, or poll (each, a “Promotion”), communicate with Us via third party social media sites, contact customer support, apply for a job or otherwise communicate with Us through the Service.
The information We may collect includes Personal Information. “Personal Information” is information that can be used to identify You (whether alone or in combination), such as Your first and last name, email address, zip code, billing address, shipping address, phone number, and payment card information.
The methods that We and Our service providers may use to automatically collect such information include:
- Log Information: We collect information about Your use of Our Service, such as IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamps, and related data, and store it in log files.
- Cookies: A cookie is a small text file that is stored on a user’s device. We use both session ID cookies and tracking cookies. Session cookies make it easier for You to navigate Our Service and expire when You close Your browser. Tracking cookies help Us understand how You use the Service, and enhance Your user experience. Cookies remain on Your hard drive for an extended period of time. If You use Your browser’s method of blocking or removing cookies, some features and functionalities of Our Service may not work.
- Web Beacons Web beacons are small graphic images, also known as "Internet tags" or "clear gifs" embedded in web pages and email messages. Web beacons may be used to count the number of visitors to Our Service, to monitor how users navigate the Service, and to count how many particular articles or links were actually viewed.
- Embedded Scripts: An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about Your interactions with the Service. It is temporarily downloaded onto Your device from Our web server or a third party with whom We work, is active only while You are connected to the Service, and is deleted or deactivated thereafter.
We are giving you notice of the Tracking Technologies and your choices regarding them explained in Sections 6 and 7, so that Your consent to encountering them is meaningfully informed.
2. How We Use The Information We Collect
We may use information about You for various purposes, including, but not limited to:
- Manage, on Your behalf as Your agent, Your online account(s), including orders, receipts, claims, and returns
- Facilitate and improve Your online experience
- Process Your registration with Our Service and verify that Your email address(es) and shopping account(s) are active and valid
- Process Your purchase history, initiate and facilitate claims on Your behalf as Your agent, and communicate with You and third parties about Your claims
- Respond to Your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service
- Send You technical notices, updates, security alerts, support and administrative messages, and, in Our discretion, changes to Our policies
- Communicate with You about products, services, offers, Promotions, coupons, newsletters, rewards and events and provide news and information We think will be of interest to You (for information about how to manage these communications, please see the Your Choices section below)
- Improve Our Service or other DoNotPay websites, marketing efforts, products and services
- Understand which areas and features of Our Service are popular, understanding campaign effectiveness, tailoring Our communications with You, and determining whether an email has been opened and links within the email have been clicked
- Personalize Your online experience and provide advertisements, content or features that match Your profile and interests
- Process and deliver Promotion entries and rewards
- Link or combine with information We get from others to help understand Your needs and provide You with better service
- Conduct research and analysis, including focus groups and surveys, on Our Service and other DoNotPay websites, products and services
- Prevent fraudulent transactions and monitor against threats
- Carry out any other purpose disclosed elsewhere in this Privacy Notice, at the time You provide Your Personal Information, or for which the information was collected
3. How We Share The Information We Collect
Our agents, vendors, consultants, and other service providers (collectively, “Service Providers”) may receive, or be given access to Your information, without limitation, Personal Information and Usage Information, in connection with their work on Our behalf. These Service Providers are prohibited from using Your Personal Information for any purpose other than to provide this assistance.
We may also share information about You with Our Service Providers as follows:
- To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, in response to (i) subpoenas or other legal process or if in Our good faith opinion such disclosure is required or permitted by law; (ii) at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation
- To defend the Terms of Service or other policies applicable to Our Service
- If We believe Your actions are inconsistent with Our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, life, health, security and safety of Us or any third party
- To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, We may also use IP addresses, mobile device identifiers or any other information We collect to identify users, and may do so in cooperation with copyright owners, Internet service providers, wireless service providers or law enforcement agencies in Our discretion. Such disclosures may be carried out without notice to You
- With Our affiliates for internal business purposes
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any proposed or actual merger, purchase, sale (including a liquidation, realization, foreclosure or repossession), lease, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition of all or any portion of DoNotPay assets, financing, disposal, conveyance or transfer of all or a portion of Our business to another company, or in the event of our bankruptcy, reorganization, insolvency, receivership or an assignment for the benefit of creditors. You expressly agree and consent to the use and/or transfer of the foregoing information in connection with any of the above described proceedings
- For a purpose disclosed elsewhere in this Privacy Notice, or at the time You provide Your Personal Information
- With Your consent or at Your direction
Without limiting the foregoing, in Our sole discretion, We may share aggregated information which does not identify You or de-identified information about You with third parties or affiliates for any purpose.
4. Sweepstakes, Contests, Surveys, Polls, and Promotions
We may offer Promotions that may require registration or for You to submit Personal Information. These Promotions are strictly voluntary. If You choose to enter a Promotion, Your Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties in connection with the administration of such Promotion, such as in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law, such as on a winners list. By entering a Promotion, You are agreeing to the official rules that govern that Promotion, which may contain specific requirements of You, including, except where prohibited by law, allowing the sponsor and/or other parties to use Your name, voice and/or likeness in advertising or marketing materials. DoNotPay may offer opportunities to enter a contest or sweepstakes or other feature that We offer jointly with a third party. As a result of Your participation in such feature, Your information may be shared with the third party that is jointly offering the feature, which will be disclosed at the time Your information is collected.
5. Third Party Services and Social Features
The Service contains hyperlinks to websites, locations, platforms, or services operated by third parties (“Third Party Services”). These Third Party Services may use their own cookies, web beacons, and other Tracking Technologies to independently collect information about You and may solicit Personal Information from You.
The information collected and stored by the third parties remains subject to those third parties’ privacy practices, including whether the third parties continue to share information with Us, the types of information shared, and Your choices with regard to what is visible to others on Third Party Service. We are not responsible for and make no representations regarding the policies or business practices of any third parties or Third Party Services and encourage You to familiarize Yourself with and consult their privacy policies and terms of service.
6. Analytics Services, Advertising, and Online Tracking
We may engage and work with third parties to serve advertisements on Our behalf on the Service and/or on Third Party Services and to provide analytics services about the use of Our Service and the performance of our ads and content on Third Party Services. In addition, We may participate in online advertising networks and exchanges that display relevant advertisements to Our Service visitors, on our Service and on Third Party Services, based on their interests as reflected in their use of the Service and certain Third Party Services.
Some information about Your use of the Service and certain Third Party Services may be collected across time and services and used by Us and third parties for purposes such as to associate different devices You use, and deliver relevant and targeted ads (“Interest-based ads”) and/or other content to You on the Service and certain Third Party Services. In addition, We may serve ads on Third Party Services that are targeted to reach people on those services that are also identified on one or more of our databases. You may have certain choices regarding these activities as explained in the next section.
Your browser settings may allow You to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” signal to online services You visit. Note there is no consensus among industry participants as to what site and app operators should do with regard to these signals. Accordingly, We currently do not monitor or take action with respect to “Do Not Track” signals or other mechanisms. For more information on “Do Not Track,” visit www.allaboutdnt.com.
7. Your Choices
7.1. Accessing and Changing Information. You may access, review, update, correct, or delete certain of Your online account information or close Your account by logging in to Your account or contacting Us at support@DoNotPay.com, specifying the request sought with proof of identity. We may retain cached or archived copied information about You for a certain period of time and as required by applicable law. We may also indefinitely retain information that has been de-identified. Please note that it is not always possible to completely remove or delete all of Your information from Our databases and that residual data may remain on backup media or for other reasons.
7.2. Tracking Technologies Generally. Regular cookies may generally be disabled or removed by tools available as part of most commercial browsers, and in some instances blocked in the future by selecting certain settings. Browsers offer different functionalities and options so You may need to set them separately. Please be aware that if You disable or remove these technologies some parts of the Service may not work and that when You revisit the Service Your ability to limit browser-based Tracking Technologies is subject to Your browser settings and limitations. With respect to our mobile applications, You can stop all collection of information by uninstalling the app. Also, You may be able to exercise specific privacy choices by adjusting the permissions in Your mobile device.
Our Service is not intended for nor targeted toward children under the age of thirteen (13). We do not knowingly collect personal information as defined by the U.S. Children’s Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) from children under the age of thirteen (13), and if We learn that We have collected such information, We will delete the information in accordance with COPPA. If You are a child under the age of thirteen (13), You are not permitted to use the Service and should not send any information about Yourself to Us through the Service. If You are a parent or guardian and believe We have collected information in a manner not permitted by COPPA, please contact us at support@DoNotPay.com
9. Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits customers in California to request certain details about how certain types of their information are shared with third parties and, in some cases, affiliates, for those third parties’ and affiliates’ own direct marketing purposes. Under this law, a business must either provide California customers certain information upon request or permit California customers to opt-in to, or opt-out of, this type of sharing.
We may from time to time elect to share certain information about You collected by Us on the Service with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes. If You are a California resident, You may opt-out of such future sharing by contacting Us here. Requests must include “California Privacy Rights Request” in the first line of the description and include Your name, street address, city, state, and zip code. Please note that We are only required to respond to one request per customer each year, and We are not required to respond to requests made by means other than through this email address (email@example.com) or this mailing address.
10. International Transfer
DoNotPay is based in the United States and the information We collect is governed by United States law. If You are using the Service from outside the United States, please be aware that information collected through the Service will be transferred to, processed, stored, and used in the United States. Data protection laws in the United States may be different from those of Your country of residence. Your use of the Service or providing Us with any information therefore constitutes Your consent to the transfer to and from, processing, usage, sharing and storage of Your information, including Personal Information, in the United States as set forth in this Privacy Notice.
11. Data Security
We take reasonable measures to help protect information about You from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Nevertheless, transmission via the Internet is not completely secure and DoNotPay cannot guarantee the security of Your information collected through Our Service.
12. Changes to this Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to change this Privacy Notice at any time. If We make changes, We will notify You by revising the date at the top of this Privacy Notice, and in some cases, providing You with additional notice (such as adding a statement to the homepage of Our Service or sending You an email notification). Any changes will be effective immediately upon the posting of the revised Privacy Notice on the Service. Your use of the Service indicates Your consent to the Privacy Notice posted at the time of use. Unless We explicitly state otherwise, Our most recently posted Privacy Notice applies to all information that DoNotPay has about You and Your account.