Zander vs LifeLock: What's the Difference? Which Is Better?
Identity theft is not a joke. Without you ever knowing, someone could quickly destroy your credit and financial stability by pretending to be you. Taking identity theft seriously is something we should all be doing, but figuring out what to do about it isn't always easy.
What Is Identity Theft?
Identity theft is defined by the FTC as any instance where another person uses your personal or financial information without your consent. Essentially, they're using what they've found about you to pretend to be you for any number of reasons. Most commonly, it's for some kind of financial gain or fraud.
There are several types of identity theft, some of them being:
- Financial Theft: Someone steals your bank information, credit card number, or similar to steal your money or buy things.
- Medical Theft: Someone uses your personal information to gain medical care or coverage.
- Tax Theft: Someone uses your personal information to file taxes and take your return.
- Background Theft: Someone uses your personal information to pretend to be you, a relative, or a related person to pass background checks or gain advantages related to you or your family.
It is therefore important that you be on the lookout for signs of identity theft and check out Zander or LifeLock, two companies that monitor identity thefts.
How to Tell if You’ve Been a Victim of Identity Theft
Having your identity stolen is a scary thing. Figuring out if you've been the victim of identity theft early lessens the impact it has on your life and helps you resolve things faster. There are warning signs to alert you that you've been the victim of identity theft, some of them being:
- Unusual charges on your credit card or bank statements.
- Bills for things you don't remember buying or using.
- Unusual mail that isn't standard junk mail.
- Missing out on things like your tax refund that you should be getting.
- Unusual activity on your credit report.
What to Do if Your Identity Is Stolen
If you learn your identity has been stolen, you have a few means of fixing the situation on your own. Not all of these will be as effective or successful as using DoNotPay and other professional services, so keep that in mind as you work. Some ways to help reclaim your identity include:
- Cancel any credit cards that are being used by someone else.
- Report any sales to your bank, the business, and your credit card company to get a refund.
- Report the theft to the FTC (more on that later).
- Preemptively tell those who might need to know (family, work, etc.) that you've had your identity stolen and to look out for scams.
Zander vs LifeLock for Identity Theft Protection
One means of preventing identity theft is by using an identity theft monitoring service. Companies sell protection against identity theft and monitor various transactions and internet activity looking for your information. If they find something unusual, they can report it to you so that you can stop the theft as soon as it begins.
Two prominent names in this industry are Zander and LifeLock. To help you pick the best one for your situation, we've broken down their pros and cons for you to decide which you might want to use.
How to Report Identity Theft to the FTC
Reporting identity theft to the FTC is one of the most effective ways of resolving your issue. There are many steps to the process, so something like DoNotPay can save you time and energy during filing. If you want to do it on your own, though, here's how you can try:
- Go to the FTC's webpage for reporting identity theft and click the big button to start the process.
- Select the option among those listed that best describes what someone has done with your identity.
- Follow the prompt on the next page. For most options, this will be describing what the person has done (taken out loans, applied for unemployment, etc.) with your identity. For falsified tax filings, though, you'll be redirected to the IRS site to report to them, as well.
- After confirming your initial information, you'll be guided through another few steps detailing what happened, your own personal information, any information you have on the suspect, and any comments or additional information you want to make.
- Review your information, then submit.
Get Help With Identity Theft Using DoNotPay
If you've been the victim of identity theft and haven't yet settled on Zander vs LifeLock for securing your information, you can get DoNotPay's help instead. Compared to doing it yourself, DoNotPay can expedite the process immensely and save you tons of time and effort. All you have to do to get us started is
1. Search "Identity Theft" on DoNotPay and select the type of incident you would like to report.
2. Tell us more about the incident that occurred, including the location, date, time, financial loss, and any suspect information you may have.
3. We'll identify whether you should file an FTC report, contact the IRS, freeze your credit report, contact state agencies, or file a police report. Once we guide you through the best options, we'll automatically submit the reports on your behalf!
And that's it! DoNotPay will make sure your issue gets sent to the right place. We'll upload confirmation documents to your task for you to view, and if the contacts need more information, they will reach out to you personally via email or mail.
DoNotPay Can Help With All Sorts of Issues
DoNotPay does a lot more than help you find the best identity theft protection. We'll help you evaluate, as well as resolve problems, with all sorts of institutions. Companies like FASTweb and Formswift, plus credit bureaus like Experian and Equifax, have all worked with us to resolve problems once we've contacted them for our users. No matter who it is, we can get them to respond.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Now that you know the result of Zander vs LifeLock, you can learn about what else DoNotPay can do for you. Here's a short list of some of our other services.
- Contact your government representatives.
- File in small claims court.
- Sue people for damages done to you.
Join DoNotPay today to fight identity theft effortlessly!