How to Request and Collect Child Support In WV

Child Support Payments How to Request and Collect Child Support In WV

How to Demand Child Support in West Virginia (WV)

Child support is put in place to support a child financially. When one parent doesn't want to contribute, applying for child support services may be necessary. But demanding child support services is a process, and many parents don't know how to get child support payments started. Initiating a child support case requires parents to fill out an application that can often be extensive. In addition, ensuring that you submit all of the requested documentation and getting a response can take longer than expected.

At DoNotPay, we want to help you demand your child support payments in West Virginia. Trying to get financial payments to help support your child can be frustrating. Unfortunately, initiating child support is often a lengthy process and requires a lot of documentation. But it doesn't have to be a frustrating experience. Today we're going to show you how you can successfully demand child support payments in West Virginia and why DoNotPay is the best option when it comes to initiating child support in West Virginia.

About West Virginia Child Support Services

West Virginia has a Bureau of  Child Support Services, which focuses on providing various resources for parents to receive support for children. If you're a parent, you are entitled to get financial help from the non-custodial parent. The WV Bureau of Child Support Services offers a range of services for parents. Some services include:

Application for Service

Parents can apply for an application using two methods: online and paper application.

  • Online application: Child support service applications online are conducted on the PATH portal. It's important to note that you will need to create a username and password and provide your social security number to use the online application. Those without a social security number will need to complete a paper application instead.
  • Paper application: You will need to complete a paper application for those without access to an email or a computer. Once you complete the application, take it to your nearest Child Support Office.

Establishing Paternity

The Bureau of Child Support Services in West Virginia helps parents establish paternity. When unmarried women give birth, the father can complete a Declaration of Paternity Affidavit.

Child Support Modification

Some parents need to request a child support modification. Either parent can ask BSCE to review a child support order three years after it has gone into effect. Additionally, either parent can ask BSCE to review a child support order less than three years after the order went into effect if financial circumstances have changed significantly.

What Does Arrears Mean in Child Support?

When a non-custodial parent is in arrears, they are behind on the money they owe set by the child support court order. If a parent is in arrears, an order can be made by the custodial parent for arrearages. In West Virginia, the custodial parent can bring the non-custodial parent back to court with a Petition to Contempt. Depending on the evidence, the court may find the non-custodial parent contempt of court.

If the non-custodial parent is called to court due to child support payments, the non-custodial parent will be required to provide some vital information in court, including:

  1. Any verification of income since the last time the parent was in court. Tax returns, pay stubs, or unemployment documents are all acceptable verifications to bring.
  2. Provide a list of all companies they've worked for, and dates worked since the last time in court.
  3. Provide a list of all of their living expenses.

How Are Child Support Payments Enforced in West Virginia?

If a non-custodial parent fails to pay child support, the BSCE of West Virginia has enacted methods to help enforce the payment of West Virginia. Here are some of the ways that BSCE may implement the following:

  • Filing a lien against the non-custodial parent's property. This could be a building or land. Additionally, liens could be placed on personal property, such as a motor vehicle.
  • BSCE may locate the non-custodial parent's employer and require the employer to deduct child support from the parent's paycheck. Income withholding can also be ordered by the judge as well.
  • Increase child support payments to cover any amounts that are in arrears.
  • Suspending the non-custodial parent's driver's license.

How to Demand Child Support Payments With DoNotPay

Do you need to demand child support payments for a non-custodial parent who refuses to pay child support? Let DoNotPay be your solution. We know that getting the payments you deserve as a custodial parent can be frustrating. The good news is that DoNotPay makes it easy for custodial parents to demand child support payments with no hassle involved successfully.

How to File a Demand Letter for Late Child Support Payments Using DoNotPay:

  1. Search child support on DoNotPay and enter the details of the person who owes the payments.


  2. Tell us more about the payment schedule, including the amount and frequency of the payments, the last payment they made, and the number of missed payments, and how much they owe you in total.


  3. Confirm your contact information and select whether you want us to mail or email the letter on your behalf. Choose how you would like to receive the payment and verify your signature.


And that's it. DoNotPay will file the demand letter on your behalf. If you don't hear back or see the payment within two weeks of delivery, you can escalate the case to court. Initiating child support payments should never be complicated. Sign up with DoNotPay to demand child support payments with ease.

Child Support Guides by State

Each state has different rules and regulations regarding child support, making the entire process confusing and overwhelming. Luckily, DoNotPay has child support guides for each state. Find yours below:

South CarolinaKansasNorth Dakota
Rhode IslandNebraskaMississippi
New MexicoOhioArkansas
New HampshireNevadaArizona
AlabamaKentuckyWest Virginia
Washington StateColoradoIndiana
CaliforniaNew YorkNew Jersey
FloridaNorth CarolinaWisconsin

Want your issue solved now?