All About Wisconsin's Rental Assistance Programs
Your monthly rent may have fit into your budget when you signed your lease, but a sudden change in your financial situation can leave you wondering how to cover it. Losing your job, experiencing medical problems, or other significant changes to your financial situation can be especially challenging if you have little or no savings, but you may have options for obtaining assistance. Here is an overview of the types of rental assistance in Wisconsin, as well as how DoNotPay can help you get help with your rent by helping you apply for the Wisconsin Emergency Rental Assistance Program.
Rental Assistance in Wisconsin
Many Wisconsin renters are currently taking advantage of the Wisconsin Emergency Rental Assistance Program, which is a government program that was designed to assist renters with financial difficulties that are related to COVID-19. Depending on where in the state you live and your specific reasons for seeking rental assistance, you may also be eligible to apply for programs at the county or city level or through local churches, senior centers, or other resources. Getting rental assistance in Wisconsin is made easier with DoNotPay.
What Is the Wisconsin Emergency Rental Assistance Program?
The Wisconsin Emergency Rental Assistance Program provides up to 12 months of assistance to eligible Wisconsin households that are unable to catch up on overdue rent and utility bills or are struggling to pay current bills. This program is primarily intended to assist renters that experience a significant financial hardship that is directly related to COVID-19, such as unemployment, significantly reduced hours, hospitalization, or another sudden major change in their financial situation. The program provides funds that can be used to cover both rent and utilities to help you stay in your home until your financial situation stabilizes.
Who Is Eligible for the Wisconsin Emergency Rental Assistance Program?
Households may be eligible to obtain help staying in their homes through the Wisconsin Emergency Rental Assistance Program if at least one person living in the home:
- Can demonstrate current significant financial struggles, such as qualification for unemployment, a significant income reduction, a significant major essential expense, or other eligible financial changes related to COVID-19
- Can demonstrate a legitimate risk of losing the home or being evicted
- Has an income that falls at or below 80 percent of the county median
This program also only applies to households in counties other than Brown, Dane, Milwaukee, and Waukesha, as these counties are running their rental relief programs instead of participating in the statewide program. Residents of Madison and Milwaukee can also apply for programs at the city level.
How Long Does It Take to Receive Rental Assistance?
Most rental assistance programs have a processing time of approximately 30 business days between submission and approval in Wisconsin. This means that applying as soon as a problem, such as a job loss or a severe illness, occurs. This is especially true if you anticipate having urgent problems paying your upcoming month's rent. Choosing a third-party service to assist you, such as DoNotPay, may help reduce this processing time.
How to Apply for Rent Relief in Wisconsin by Yourself
You have two options for applying for the Wisconsin Emergency Rental Assistance Program. Residents that do not live in one of the four counties that are running independent programs can apply through their local Community Action Agency online here or Energy Services, Inc. by phone (1-833-900-9372) or email (email@example.com).
Next Steps for Applying for Rent Relief if You Can't Do It Yourself
Applying for rent relief can be a complicated process, especially if you live in a county that is not participating in the statewide program. You may have a difficult time proving that your current financial situation makes paying rent impossible, and not having your application approved before your next month's rent is due can cause further friction between you and your landlord. Fortunately, you have a better option. DoNotPay's robot lawyer can quickly and easily consolidate details about your current financial situation, your lease, and where you are located, which we will then use to present the strongest possible case for getting your rent relief application approved as quickly as possible.
Apply for Rent Relief With the Help of DoNotPay
We can compose a letter to your local housing authority based on your situation and inquire about your best options for receiving assistance. Here are the 4 steps:
- Search for Rental Assistance on DoNotPay.
- Put together a list of your income, debts, expenses, and assets. If you need help accessing information like your credit report, DoNotPay can help you get your report.
- Let DoNotPay collect your basic information and compose a letter to your local housing authority requesting rental assistance.
- Lastly, DoNotPay will send your letter to your local housing authority.
Why Use DoNotPay to Apply for Rent Relief
Applying for rent relief can be challenging, but it can also be your best option for avoiding losing your home. Our process is:
- Faster than spending hours figuring out exactly what public or private rental assistance programs you may be eligible for
- Easier than navigating the potentially confusing process on your own
- A financially smarter alternative to risking eviction by attempting to stay on top of rent on your own when you know you cannot reasonably do so
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay's robot lawyer can quickly and easily help you solve a wide range of problems right from your computer. We can also help you:
|Rental Housing Assistance Program||Paying Rent Today||Paying Rent to Avoid Eviction|
|Rental Assistance||Resources for Rental Assistance||HUD Rental Assistance|
|Government Assistance for Rent||Get Help With Rent||How Long Does It Take to Get Rental Assistance?|
- Rental Housing Assistance Program
- Rental Assistance
- Government Assistance for Rent
- Paying Rent Today
- Resources for Rental Assistance
- Get Help With Rent
- How Long Does It Take to Get Rental Assistance?
- HUD Rental Assistance
- Paying Rent to Avoid Eviction
At DoNotPay, we are here to help if you need rental assistance in Wisconsin. Join us today to learn more about how applying for the Wisconsin Rental Assistance Program can benefit you or get started!