How to Request and Collect Child Support In Wisconsin

Child Support Payments How to Request and Collect Child Support In Wisconsin

How to Request and Collect Child Support In Wisconsin

Whether it's within a marriage setting or before tying the knot, getting a child is counted as a blessing. However, things don't always work between parents. Some end up separating or divorcing, exposing the child(ren) to parental support injustice. This is the primary reason why the Wisconsin child support program exists—to ensure that every child whose parents have parted ways gets financial sustenance.

Although some parents can quickly agree and get the child support order endorsed by the local agency or court, it's not always the case. If you're dealing with a deadbeat ex-spouse or ex-partner, it can be overwhelming to demand child support by yourself. You'll need to write a demand letter, approach the Wisconsin child support agency, or take legal action when you exhaust the other methods.

At DoNotPay, we have got you covered. We significantly ease writing a demand letter while making its message solid enough to increase the chances of the other parent paying. And if you're the payer, we can also help you lower your child support if you're struggling financially.

Obtain Child Support in WI by Yourself

If you can't reach out to the payor parents via the typical methods, such as phone calls, text SMS, or email, it's time to take a more formal approach.

  1. Write a demand letter: Pen a formal demand letter addressed to the paying parent. Clearly outline the Wisconsin child support payments they owe you, remind them of their lawful responsibility, and visibly state how long they have to pay the dues before you take legal action against them.
  2. Get in touch with the Wisconsin child support agency: If the period you indicated in the letter expires without any constructive reply, reach out to your county's child support agency. Find out agencies in your county by visiting this Wisconsin Department of Children and Families page. They will help you locate the other parent, enforce the payment and, when necessary, guide you through how to take the person to court.
  3. File a Motion of Contempt in Wisconsin civil or criminal court: Obviously, this is your last card when the non-custodial parent is still unresponsive. Here, they risk jail time, fines, and other legal actions unique to your case.

How Are Child Support Payments Enforced in Wisconsin?

The Wisconsin child support agency can take various measures to ensure that all the parents participate in the child's upbringing. These measures include:

  • Withholding the non-custodial parent's income and directly directing the necessary child support to the custodial parent
  • Charging interests on late WI child support payments
  • Formulating a payment plan
  • Taking federal action like denying work licenses, loans, grants, or passports.
  • Seizing tax compensations
  • Filing a motion of contempt in a court of law

About Wisconsin Child Support

The Child Support Program (CSP), under the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families, provides most of the WI child support services to both the custodial and non-custodial parents. These services include:

  • Establishing the paternity of kids born to unmarried parents or when one parent denies parentage of the child.
  • Establishing and modifying child support, medical payment, or college fees.
  • Collecting, remitting, and enforcing child support payments.
  • Locating parents who have vanished.

When Does Wisconsin Child Support Terminate?

According to the state of Wisconsin Child Support law, the payor parent is relieved of their duty of child support payment once the kid in question attains an age of 18. Nevertheless, if the child is still in high school or enrolled in a high school equivalency course (GED), this obligation can be extended until when the kid is 19 years old. But that is dependent on the custodial parent presenting to WI child support agency documentation proving that development. Nevertheless, termination doesn't mean that the payer won't pay the due arrears in child support.

Demand Child Support Payments With the Help Of DoNotPay

Writing to your ex can sometimes be challenging. Some choose to forego the payments even though they come in handy in ensuring your child gets the life they deserve. We can help you write a demand letter to make your ex-spouse take things seriously and continue child support payments by providing a few answers.

If you want to file a demand letter for late child support payments but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:

  1. Search child support on DoNotPay and enter the details of the person who owes the payments. 
  2. Tell us more about the payment schedule, including the amount and frequency of the payments, the last payment they made, the number of missed payments, and how much they owe you in total. 
  3. Confirm your contact information and select whether you want us to mail or email the letter on your behalf. Choose how you would like to receive the payment and verify your signature. 

And that's it. DoNotPay will file the demand letter on your behalf. If you don't hear back or see the payment within two weeks of delivery, you can escalate the case to court.

Want to Lower Child Support Arrears Instead?

If you have lost your income streams or got hit by a financial crisis, we can help you request a waiver on the child support debt you owe.

How to Lower Child Support Debt Using DoNotPay:

  1. Search child support on DoNotPay and select the state your child support agreement was established in.
  2. Answer a series of questions about your current financial situation and your on-time payments to help guide the application.
  3. Confirm your current contact information, and enter the location of the county court that established your child support agreement so that we can mail your request on your behalf.

Child Support Guides by State

Each state has different rules and regulations regarding child support, making the entire process confusing and overwhelming. Luckily, DoNotPay has child support guides for each state. Find yours below:

South CarolinaKansasNorth Dakota
Rhode IslandNebraskaMississippi
New MexicoOhioArkansas
New HampshireNevadaArizona
AlabamaKentuckyWest Virginia
Washington StateColoradoIndiana
CaliforniaNew YorkNew Jersey
FloridaNorth CarolinaWisconsin

What Else Can We Do for You?

Besides child support, DoNotPay can help you:

And other tens of critical services that you need in your day-to-day life.

Want your issue solved now?