Windows 10 Terms of Service Explained In Plain English
While every user's responsibility is to read through these Terms of Service before they start using Windows 10, it's not the most pleasant thing to do. After its launch, some of those who read the Windows 10 TOS discovered a controversial clause that allowed Microsoft to scan their devices for pirated software.
Even though Microsoft clarified the situation, it remains essential to read and analyze these Terms of Service upon every update. Through DoNotPay's Analyze TOS Product, you can scan through the Windows 10 Terms of Service fast and find any hidden clauses that go against the law. If there are any violations, DoNotPay will help draft a demand letter for compensation.
Windows 10 Terms of Service
Windows 10 is a Microsoft operating system that operates across all devices such as personal computers, tablets, embedded devices, and internet of things devices. This Windows version follows Windows 8 and comes with more built-in capabilities for all its users.
The Windows 10 Terms of Service didn't differ from other previous versions, except for a few new clauses.
Some of these new clauses include:
- You'll need to have a license for the software before you can use it. Upgrading or updating non-genuine software with Microsoft's Windows 10 does not mean you have a license to use the software.
- The software (whether pre-installed on a device or standalone) can be transferred to another party upon agreement and as long as they are using a licensed device.
- To use multiple versions of the software (32-bit and 64-bit), you may need to install and activate them, one at a time.
- Microsoft allows downgrades from Windows 10 to any version below it, like Windows 7 and Windows 8, as long as the older version is still supported.
- The software automatically checks for new updates, downloads, and installs them without giving the user any notice.
These Terms of Service were last updated in June 2018. You can read more here.
What Information Does Windows 10 Collect From You?
Microsoft insists on transparency when collecting and handling its consumers' data, as well as giving them control over their data. Collected data includes:
- Required Diagnostic Data
- Required Service Data
- Optional Data.
The table below explains each category.
|Required Diagnostic Data||It's the minimum data necessary to help keep the Windows operating system and integrated apps and services secure, up to date, and performing as expected.||
|Required Service Data||Data that help Microsoft to offer you additional experiences from your connected experience. It works with connected services like Find my Device.||Location – if you use the Find my Device connected service, your last location will help Microsoft find your device.|
|Optional Data||You can control the collection of the data in specific product features.||
How to Analyze Windows 10 Terms of Service on Your Own
The only way around analyzing the TOS is by reading them. You can make this easy for you by considering areas that matter the most to you.
When analyzing Windows 10 TOS, pay attention to the following areas:
- How Microsoft will handle your data.
- Sections in ALL CAPS
- Binding Arbitration and Class Action Waiver
- Installation and Use Rights
How to Analyze Windows 10 Terms of Services With the Help of DoNotPay
DoNotPay will analyze all the Windows 10 TOS and give you results in a few minutes. Here's how it works.
- Go to the Analyze Terms and Services product on DoNotPay.
- Enter the website domain you would like to scan.
- Wait for DoNotPay to identify any legal violations on the website (it should only take a few seconds!) If there are violations, proceed to drafting a demand letter.
- Enter how much you want to receive in compensation and the company name.
- Enter your contact information so the company can contact you.
And that's it! DoNotPay will generate a demand letter on your behalf with every legal violation we identified that you could send to the company. If they don't comply with your demand for compensation, you can escalate the case to Small Claims Court using our Sue Now product.
Why Use DoNotPay to Analyze Windows 10 Terms of Service?
- Fast – DoNotPay will receive your request and scan the TOS for you within a few minutes.
- Easy – You won't need to read all the clauses as DoNotPay will do it for you. Once you enter the website domain, you wait for the results from DoNotPay.
- Successful – DoNotPay will help you successfully get compensation from Microsoft if the TOS is in violation of the law.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
You can also use DoNotPay to analyze any company's terms of service for violations and potential compensation. See the table below.
Check out DoNotPay's Analyze TOS product page to get all the information you need.