Why Do People Get Divorced—The Age-Old Question Answered
Making a marriage work is not easy—it requires a great deal of sacrifice, compromise, and patience. Sometimes, despite all the effort and years invested into the relationship, there’s no other solution than to call it quits.
Why do people get divorced? While the answer is never simple, DoNotPay will break down the most common causes for a divorce in this article. We will also suggest a practical way to part ways with your spouse amicably and without unnecessary legal expenses!
While the reasons for ending a marriage are complex and unique for every couple, there are a few specific issues frequently cited during divorce proceedings.
Take a look at the table below for more details:
|Reasons People Get Divorced||Details|
|Communication issues||The inability to have a productive conversation can leave spouses with a feeling of growing resentment, which can lead to a divorce|
|Young age||Marrying too young may imply that at the time, the couple didn’t have:
That can eventually lead to partners developing different values, beliefs, and expectations, which can become the reasons behind a divorce
|Lack of intimacy or partnership||A lack of emotional support or intimacy between partners for a prolonged period can result in falling out of love, which typically leads to a divorce|
|Infidelity||An affair can feel like the ultimate act of betrayal that typically causes a person to lose trust in their spouse|
|Addiction||If a person doesn’t want to get help or becomes a threat to their spouse, they should get a divorce immediately|
|Domestic abuse||Abuse can take on many forms, from physical confrontation to emotional manipulation. Separating from the abusive partner is sometimes the only way to ensure protection|
|Financial issues||Spouses are expected to manage finances as a team. Issues like spending too much or making too little money can cause tension in a marriage that can be impossible to overcome and ends up tearing the union apart|
|Lost sense of self||It’s not uncommon for one partner to sacrifice their personal fulfillment for the sake of the marriage. That often leads to resentment and divorce|
According to the Certified Divorce Financial Analysts (CDFA), a survey done across North America has shown that the top five reasons couples in the U.S. get divorced are the following:
- Basic incompatibility—43%
- Financial issues—22%
- Emotional and physical abuse—5.8%
A divorce is stressful for both parties, regardless of the circumstances. The goal should be to get through the process as painlessly as possible, especially if children are involved.
An uncontested divorce can help the proceedings go much faster. It implies that the parties have reached an agreement about all crucial issues, such as:
- Visitation rights
- Child and spousal support
- Division of debt and property
- Education and religion
- Life and health insurance
Apart from speeding up the process, an uncontested divorce will:
- Help save the money otherwise spent on expensive court proceedings
- Take a lot less of the spouses’ energy
- Reduce stress
- Assist in preserving the relationship between former spouses
- Minimize or eliminate time spent in a courtroom
Are you and your spouse candidates for an uncontested divorce? Having a divorce settlement agreement drawn up by a lawyer can be another unnecessary expense, especially if you have agreed on all divorce-related issues. A far more economical solution would be to sign up for DoNotPay and let us create a divorce settlement agreement within minutes!
DoNotPay will create a divorce settlement agreement for you, making sure that it:
- Complies with your state-specific laws
- Is tailored to fit your and your spouse’s specific situation
- Contains all crucial legal provisions
You can get your tailor-made divorce settlement agreement once you subscribe to DoNotPay and:
- Find our Divorce Settlement Agreement product
- Provide answers about your:
- Children (if applicable)
- Financial assets and how you want to divide them
- Indicate whether you’d like to get the document notarized with our help
If you choose to have your document notarized with DoNotPay, our app will connect you with an online notary. They will witness you and your former spouse signing the document on a video call.
Want to know more about divorces? Check out our articles and get answers to the following questions:
- Can I get a divorce online?
- What is mediation in divorce?
- What divorce papers do I need for an uncontested divorce?
- Who can serve divorce papers?
- Do I need a divorce lawyer when my spouse and I agree on everything?
- How do I file for a divorce?
- How much does a divorce cost?
- Can I get a divorce without my spouse signing the papers?
- What is an out-of-court divorce settlement?
- Should I get a divorce?
From getting you ready for various government tests to helping you reduce your property taxes, DoNotPay offers valuable assistance with the tasks that make most people at least roll their eyes. Dealing with bureaucracy isn’t fun, but it also doesn’t have to be as difficult as it is.
Every product in DoNotPay’s portfolio is designed to efficiently deal with a specific issue within a few minutes and without sacrificing your comfort. Take a look at the tasks our app can make much more simple:
- Dealing with spam emails and robocalls
- Sending letters to inmates
- Finding and applying for clinical trials
- Getting compensation for victims of crime
- Faxing or mailing documents
- Contacting customer service departments
- Claiming warranties and insurance
Hardly anyone would turn down a chance to earn some more cash. That’s why DoNotPay not only protects your rights and interests but also offers great opportunities to improve your financial situation.