How and Where to Get Divorce Certificates in San Jose, CA
Do you need to know where to get a divorce certificate in San Jose, CA? If you've been running around in circles trying to get official copies of this important document, you're in the right place. We'll guide you, step-by-step, through the official process for getting official copies of your divorce certificate, and then we'll let you in on a little secret. DoNotPay can take a day-long job and get it done in minutes, without you having to leave your home.
5 Reasons Why You Should Have Copies of Your Divorce Certificate
Just as you've needed your birth and marriage certificates for important transactions, you'll need certified copies of your divorce certificate. Here are five reasons you might need yours:
- You're applying for a marriage license
- You're changing your legal name
- You're removing a former spouse from your pension or spousal benefits
- To remove a former spouse from a mortgage
- You're preventing a former spouse from claiming your estate upon your death
Even if none of the above situations has yet arisen, or you simply lost your previous copy while getting one of these tasks done, you want to have copies saved with your important papers because, well, you never know. And #5 will be a big help to your current spouse and your children when you do pass away.
How to Get a San Jose Divorce Certificate on Your Own
In California, you must get your divorce documents from the Superior Court of the county in which the divorce was finalized, and in the case of San Jose divorce certificates, that would be the Superior Court of Santa Clara County. Unfortunately, the instructions for applying for your divorce certificate are infuriatingly confusing, to the point at which most people put off getting theirs until it's an emergency... or they just give up altogether.
There are two primary ways to get your divorce certificate from the Superior Court of Santa Clara County:
- Request by mail
- Going in person
While both take significant amounts of time, it is recommended that you go in person as a clerk can answer your questions and make sure you're giving (and getting) the right information. Mistakes in your application are costly, and they're all too common.
Gather Your Documents
You'll need to prove your identity, and that you're either one of the persons named on the divorce documents, an immediate family member, or a legal representative. You will also want to make sure you have the right data for the clerk to look up the records to prevent delays.
- Two forms of government-issued photo ID
- The date of the divorce finalization, if known
- The exact names and spellings of each person listed on the certificate
- The case number, if known
- The presiding judge, if known
It's helpful to download, print, and fill out the Family Records Request Form to your best ability. Once you're certain you have the correct identification and information, go and visit them at the following address:
|Family Justice Center Courthouse Information|
|Address||201 N. First Street
San Jose, CA 95113
|Business Hours||Monday through Thursday||8:30 AM to 1:30 PM|
|Friday||8:30 AM to 12:00 PM|
|Saturday / Sunday / Holiday||Closed|
|Contact Number||(408) 882-2700|
How DoNotPay Can Help You Get Divorce Certificates in Minutes
If you want to get a copy of a divorce certificate in San Jose, CA but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Divorce product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.*Please note: some states only allow people named on the certificate to apply.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the divorce certificate and original divorce certificate were issued as well as the dates they were issued on.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why Use DoNotPay to Get Your Divorce Certificate in San Jose, CA?
Use DoNotPay to request the divorce certificate you need because it’s fast, easy, and you don't even need to leave your house. We take the guesswork out of the Superior Court of Santa Clara County's incredibly confusing paperwork and payment schedule.
If you need help getting divorce certificates from another jurisdiction, we can handle that, too. No matter where your divorce was finalized, we've got you covered. While we work in all 50 states, and these are among our most frequent requests:
- Get a divorce certificate in Texas
- Request a divorce certificate in Nevada
- Get a copy of a divorce certificate in New York
- How to get a divorce certificate in Florida
- Get a certified divorce certificate in Arkansas
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Now that you know where to get divorce certificates in San Jose, CA, check out DoNotPay to see hundreds of services we offer that can take the stress out of managing consumer and citizen issues. These five are just a drop in the bucket:
- Get certified copies of marriage certificates
- File insurance claims
- File a small claims court lawsuit
- Appeal banned accounts
- Learn airline flight compensation hacks
Ready to Clear Your To-Do List?
Let's get started on your San Jose divorce certificate. Once you get a feel for how straightforward it is to use our app products, you'll want to learn more about how we can simplify your life and get those projects done that have been causing you stress. Try us out today!