Where to Get a Certificate of Divorce in Sarasota
Due to the personal nature of divorce, it is much more challenging to get divorce records, certificates and decrees than other forms of public records. However, DoNotPay is here to ease your search process.
If you are trying to locate where to get a certificate of divorce in Sarasota, especially with scattered information, you have two options. Do it yourself or use DoNotPay services. The former involves a lengthy and time-consuming process, while the latter is a breeze.
Let's take a look!
The Difference Between Divorce Certificates and Divorce Decrees
While they are both divorce records, divorce certificates and divorce decrees are quite distinct from each other.
1. Divorce Certificates
Because they are the easiest to get, Sarasota divorce certificates are the most sought divorce records. It does, however, supply the least amount of data. This certificate will state that two persons have divorced, the location of the divorce, and the precise day and time of the divorce.
If one of the divorcees wishes to change their name or enter into another marriage and needs documentation that their previous marriage was dissolved, a divorce certificate is often required. This is quite often the case when seeking a marriage license.
This document is a public record in Sarasota, Florida, however it may only be obtained by persons or lawyers involved in the divorce process. While only individuals participating in the case may acquire a certified copy, the record can be viewed by anyone online.
2. Divorce Decrees
A divorce decree is unique as it provides more specific information. A Sarasota divorce decree contains all the information included in a divorce certificate, as well as the court's final opinion and judgment order formally dissolving the marriage.
Each divorce decree is distinct, but overall, the goal of a divorce decree is to spell out each person's obligations and rights in the divorce. A decree covers child support, custody arrangements, and property division.
A divorce decree should include all that has been agreed upon or determined by a court in the case, such as whether the wife will regain their maiden name, and how debt will be shared.
The judge who presided over the case assigns a case number to the divorce decree and signs it.
When one of the parties wishes to amend the terms of the agreement, they will request the divorce decree. Only the parties involved, as well as the attorneys who were present throughout the divorce process, have access to this document.
How Much Does it Cost to Get a Divorce Certificate Copy in Sarasota?
In Sarasota County, Florida, divorce certificates will cost you the following fees:
|If search year is unknown||$2 per calendar year (maximum of $50)|
|Records prior to 1970||$10|
How Long Does it Take to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Sarasota County?
For computer certificates from 1970 to the present, standard processing time is 3 to 5 business days, not counting shipping time to and from the records office. Records before 1970 will take longer to process.
Rush orders receive priority processing. Unless a specific prepaid delivery envelope is given, all items, including RUSH orders, are shipped through standard USPS delivery.
How to Get a Certificate of Divorce In Sarasota by Yourself
The Bureau of Vital Statistics in Sarasota accepts applications in-person or by mail. Download and fill out the paperwork you'll need to save time: DH260 Application for Dissolution of Marriage (102K pdf).
You can call the Bureau of Vital Statistics at (904) 359-6900, ext. 9000. You may also submit your request in writing if you are unable to use the application forms. You'll need to submit the following details as well as the appropriate fee.
You (or the person requesting the certificate) should include the following information:
- Full name
- Phone number and mailing address
- Relationship to individual on dissolution of marriage record
- Signature of Applicant
How to Get a Divorce Certificate in Sarasota With DoNotPay
If you want to get a copy of a divorce certificate in Saratosa but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Divorce product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.*Please note: some states only allow people named on the certificate to apply.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the divorce certificate and original divorce certificate were issued as well as the dates they were issued on.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
DoNotPay Can Help You Get Divorce Certificates in Several Other States
DoNotPay can also help you get divorce certificate copies in:
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
We can also help with:
Sign up with us today to enjoy our services.