Where Do I Get a Divorce Certificate in Elmore County, Alabama?
Obtaining a certificate of your divorce is the only way to prove you did, in fact, dissolve your marriage. If you've been wondering where to get a divorce certificate in Elmore County, Alabama, this guide will help you. DoNotPay can obtain it on your behalf or show you how to do it yourself.
Where Do I Get Divorce Certificate [Elmore County, Alabama Guide]
DoNotPay can assist you with getting your divorce certificate in any county, city, or state. Whether you require one from an Alabama courthouse, New York, Florida, California, or elsewhere, we will help you get the precise one you need.
Is There a Difference Between a Divorce Certificate and Divorce Decree?
Yes, a divorce certificate is different from a divorce decree. The decree is intended as a full document depicting all of the motions set forth in the divorce proceedings. The judge has signed off on it and used it as the final step of the process to confirm all details.
The certificate is a shorter file that only depicts the main aspects necessary to prove divorce for legal and banking purposes. It only includes:
- The fact that you and your former spouse are divorced
- You and your former spouse's first and last names
- The final date of divorce
- The location where the divorce occurred
Who Can Request an Elmore County Divorce Certificate?
Whether you're in Arkansas, Texas, Nevada, or Elmore County, Alabama, there are restrictions for who can or cannot obtain a divorce certificate belonging to another person. Generally, only the two parties involved in the divorce are able to get a copy. However, a family member or attorney can obtain the certificate if a party has died.
In Alabama, any party is allowed to request a copy of a divorce certificate as long as they have all of the necessary information. This includes the actual date the divorce took place and the location where it occurred. Without both the first and last name of each spouse, including the maiden name of the wife, you will not be able to obtain it.
What Info Do I Need to Make My Request Complete?
To finalize your request, you must provide the following information:
- The names of both spouses listed on the certificate
- The date of the divorce and the county where it took place
- Your contact details indicating who and where to send the certificate to
- The full application completed
- The payment for the certificate and any additional copies
How Much Will an Elmore County Divorce Certificate Cost?
You will have to pay a fee to acquire a certified copy of your Elmore County divorce certificate, as well as additional copies. That isn't the only cost, though. You may also be charged more if you want the process expedited.
Steps for Obtaining Your Elmore County Divorce Certificate on Your Own
When you're trying to determine how to get a divorce certificate in Elmore County, you should start at the courthouse. Go to the Elmore County Probate Office and make your request.
Once there, you simply need to tell them what you want, provide the accompanying information, and make your payment. You can also make your request online if you prefer, or send in your application through the mail.
The address to mail it in is:
Alabama Vital Records P. O. Box 5625 Montgomery, Alabama 36103
You must use a check or money order if you are making your request through the mail.
Steps for Requesting Your Elmore County Divorce Certificate Through DoNotPay
Stop wondering where you can get a divorce certificate in Elmore County, Alabama. Instead, let DoNotPay take the case over and accomplish the task on your behalf. We'll have your certificate on the way after just a handful of steps get completed:
- Go to the Certificates of Divorce product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.*Please note: some states only allow people named on the certificate to apply.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the divorce certificate and original divorce certificate were issued as well as the dates they were issued on.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
DoNotPay Obtains Certificates of All Kinds
Divorce certificates are not the only type DoNotPay can help Alabama residents find. We'll help you obtain certificates of all kinds, including:
- Your birth certificate
- Your marriage certificate
- A replacement copy of your US citizenship certificate
We will also assist in locating important documents and paperwork for any circumstances you're facing.