How to Get a West Virginia Marriage Certificate
Obtaining a West Virginia marriage certificate is beneficial for many reasons. Whether you need to prove your marital status or legally change your name, having multiple copies of your marriage certificate is a good idea.
You can get an official copy of a on your own. But it can be time-consuming and even stressful. Luckily, DoNotPay is here to help.
The Difference Between a Marriage License and a Marriage Certificate
A marriage license and a marriage certificate serve very different purposes, and it is important to understand the difference.
West Virginia Marriage License
A West Virginia marriage license is required prior to getting married. In essence, it is an application for marriage. It is valid for 60 days and allows the two parties to get married within the state of West Virginia. It is given to the officiant, who will finalize the form and turn it over to the county clerk’s office after the ceremony.
West Virginia Marriage Certificate
The officiant files the appropriate paperwork for the registration of the marriage at the county clerk's office. A West Virginia marriage certificate indicates the city and county in which the couple was wed, along with their full name, age, and place of birth. The marriage certificate also shows the exact date of the marriage, the officiant's name, and the date when the county clerk signed the certificate.
Obtaining a may be necessary for several reasons.
- Legal name changes, such as with the Social Security Administration or Department of Motor Vehicles
- Changing marital status on insurance policies
- Changing names on credit cards, bank accounts, and other accounts.
- Inheritance/Estate settlements
- Adoption proceedings
- Genealogical research and documentation
Who Can Request a Marriage Certificate Copy in West Virginia?
West Virginia is not an open records state. This means that for obtaining vital records, only certain people are entitled to request copies of marriage certificates. There are three categories of individuals who qualify, according to the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources:
- Bride and Groom
- Children of the Bride or Groom
- Grandchildren of the Bride or Groom
How Much Does it Cost to Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in West Virginia?
The fees for requesting a marriage certificate in the state of West Virginia vary, depending on the method.
In-Person or By Mail
You can proceed to the West Virginia Vital Registration to order a copy of your marriage certificate.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Marriage Certificate Processing Fee|
|West Virginia Vital Registration||350 Capitol St.
Charleston, WV 25301
|First Copy: $12.00 Additional Copies: $12.00|
There is a $12 fee per copy, inclusive of a non-refundable search fee. If they are unable to find the record within one year before or after the date provided, you can pay an additional $12 per three-year period for a wider search. You may request as many marriage certificate copies as you like, for $12 per copy.
The state will accept cash, checks, or money orders. They do not accept debit/credit cards at their walk-up counter or by mail.
If ordering by mail, you need to fill out an application form that you can download from the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources. Then mail it to the address indicated above with a check or money order for $12 per marriage certificate. You may send cash at your own risk.
What Documents and Information Do You Need to Get a West Virginia Marriage Certificate?
There are a variety of important documents and information you will need to request a West Virginia marriage certificate.
- Proof of Identity
The following are accepted forms of identification:
- State-issued driver's license
- US or foreign passport
- Military ID
- Photo-ID card from a government-sponsored program
If you don’t have any of the above, you can present two of the following:
- Major credit card
- Motor vehicle registration card
- State social services program card
- Recent utility bill in the name of the person requesting the marriage certificate
- Complete Information
To allow the state to properly search for the marriage license, they will need the following information:
- Full (maiden) name of the Bride
- Full name of the Groom
- The city and county of marriage
- The county in which the marriage license was obtained, if different from the county of marriage
How to Obtain a West Virginia Marriage Certificate On Your Own
There are several ways to get a marriage certificate in West Virginia if you want to do it yourself.
- Proceed to the West Virginia Vital Registration Office in Charleston.
- Bring required identification and paperwork
- Pay the fees
- You can get the certificate on the same day
- By Mail
- The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources suggests that this is the easiest way to obtain vital records.
- You must fill out the application, print it, and mail the application to the West Virginia Vital Registration Office with a check or money order.
West Virginia also contracts with VitalChek for expedited orders for marriage certificates, which requires additional fees. A non-rush order costs $30.50 plus the shipping fee, and a rush order costs $35.50 + shipping. Shipping charges vary, depending on the shipping method.
You need to make sure that you put in the correct information. Otherwise, your application will be denied or delayed.
What Should You Do if You Can't Get a West Virginia Marriage Certificate on Your Own?
It may be possible to issue a permission slip or have a legal representative request official records from the state of West Virginia for you. However, this is likely to include more paperwork and may cause the process to take longer. This can be frustrating and time-consuming, but DoNotPay offers an easy solution.
Get a West Virginia Marriage Certificate Instantly with DoNotPay
There's no need to worry about being put on hold, filling out forms incorrectly, needing to drive into the state capitol, or paying extra fees just to use their contractor. DoNotPay offers a quick process for requesting copies of marriage certificates.
If you want to order a Marriage Certificate Copy in West Virginia but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
The Benefits of Using DoNotPay to Order Marriage Certificates
DoNotPay is fast, easy, and successful. You don't have to make time for phone calls or office visits, or worry about printing and mailing documents. We ask you a few simple questions to verify the information, and then we handle all of the "paperwork" for you. You can get back to life and we will virtually request and obtain your marriage certificates.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
DoNotPay offers you a variety of services to help you solve your problems and make your life easier.
- Child Travel Consent Forms
- Returning Items
- File a Complaint
- Passport Photos
- Defamation Demand Letters
Whether you need marriage certificates or other important documents or have other issues that need to be addressed, DoNotPay can help you today. Our experience means you get professional and successful results every time.