Ultimate Guide: West Virginia Car Registration Renewal
Car registration renewal is time-consuming. It is also required for your car to be legal to drive. Failure to renew your car's registration will result in fines and penalties. If you have a West Virginia car registration renewal coming up, it is important to know what steps you need to take to get your registration renewed.
Read this guide to learn how DoNotPay can save you time and money on your West Virginia car registration renewal and a huge number of other tasks. You can also check out some other articles that might be helpful for your car registration renewal needs.
How Often Must Your West Virginia Car Registration Be Renewed?
In West Virginia, your car registration must be renewed for a term of one or two years. If your address is up to date, you will receive a registration renewal notice about 30 days before your vehicle is due for renewal.
What Documentation You Will Need to Renew Your West Virginia Car Registration
When it is time to have your car registration renewed, you will need to have your documents in order. These are the documents that West Virginia requires when renewing your car registration.
- Proof of property taxes paid
- Driver's license
- Registration renewal notice
- Proof of insurance coverage
West Virginia requires drivers to have a current safety inspection but proof is not required for registration. Driving a car without proper safety inspection, however, is illegal in West Virginia. Failure to maintain proper insurance can result in your registration being canceled.
West Virginia Car Registration Renewal Fees
The fees for car registration in West Virginia will depend on the type of vehicle you are registering. A standard class A vehicle has a registration fee of $51.50 for one year or two years for $103. All registrations are subject to a litter fee of $1 and an insurance enforcement fee of $0.50. Hybrid vehicles are subject to a registration fee plus a $100 per year road use fee. Electric vehicles are subject to a registration fee plus a $200 per year road use fee.
How To Renew Your West Virginia Car Registration By Yourself
If you are unsure how to renew your West Virginia car registration, there are three methods of renewing.
- Online - When renewing your car registration online, you must upload all requested documents and the registration fee must be paid by credit or debit card. Your new tags and registration will be mailed to you within 10 to 14 days.
- In-Person - You can visit any WVDMV location during regular business hours. Provide all documentation and registration fees. In person, you can pay with cash, check, credit, or debit card. You will be issued your new tags and registration once documents are provided and fees are paid.
- By mail - You must provide all documents requested and include a registration fee. The fee must be paid by check or money order if renewed by mail. New tags and registration will be sent by mail within 10 to 14 days.
Once you have paid your fees, you will have a receipt. The receipt is your proof of renewal until your tags and registration arrive.
Renew Your West Virginia Car Registration With DoNotPay
How to renew your car registration using DoNotPay:
If you want to renew your car registration but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:
- Go to the Renew Car Registrations product on DoNotPay.
- Answer a few questions about your current vehicle, including the license plate number, vehicle identification number, make and model, etc.
- Verify your identity with a state driver's license and registration documents.
- Decide how long you want to extend the renewal for (if your state offers multiple options).
- Pay the registration fee (or let us automatically calculate it if you aren't sure).
DoNotPay can help you get your car registration renewed across all 50 states below:
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Renew Your West Virginia Car Registration
With the Car Registration Renewal product from DoNotPay, renewing your car registration has never been so quick and easy. No more long lines to wait in or multiple trips without proper documentation. DoNotPay saves you time and money quickly, easily, and successfully.
DoNotPay Works Across All Cities, Counties, And States
The Car Registration Renewal product from DoNotPay is not just for those in West Virginia. The products from DoNotPay work across all cities, counties, and states. Wherever you live, DoNotPay can save you time and money on your car registration renewal.
What Else Does DoNotPay Do?
Saving time and money has never been easier. With products from DoNotPay, you can accomplish tasks that would normally take hours in minutes. These products will complete these tasks on your behalf, making them quick, easy, and successful. Check out these other product series from DoNotPay.
- Standardized Legal Documents
- Parking Tickets
- DMV Appointments
- Notarize Any Documents
- Dispute Seatbelt Tickets