Demand and Collect Child Support in Washington State Fast

Child Support Payments Demand and Collect Child Support in Washington State Fast

How to Demand Child Support Payments in Washington State

Demanding child support payments in Washington state can be a tedious process. If your child's other parent falls behind on child support payments, it's time to take action. You can consider suing your co-parent if they are not pulling their weight.

Washington State child support laws allow state intervention on behalf of custodial parents if the non-custodial parent fails to pay child support. DoNotPay provides a simple and better alternative given how hectic suing a co-parent is. DoNotPay can help you demand child support payments in Washington State by filing a demand letter on your behalf. 

About the Washington State Child Support Services

The Division of Child Support is a branch of the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services responsible for handling child support cases. Services available at the division include:

  • File child support order
  • Establish parentage
  • Child support modification
  • Receive child support payments on behalf of custodial parents

If you have any issues concerning child support, contact the department for assistance.

How Do Child Support Cases Work in Washington State?

According to Washington legal statutes, Washington is an "income shares" state, meaning that child support is determined based on a percentage of each parent's income and custody arrangement. The parent who earns more will pay more, even if they are the custodial parent.

How to Demand Child Support Payments on Your Own

There are two ways you can demand child support payments from the non-custodial parent:

Negotiate with the non-custodial parentChild support matters affect the parents and the children. Before escalating matters through the legal system, you should try negotiation first. Have a conversation with your co-parent and put the child's needs first.

Involve third-party mediation to help you stay neutral and focus on the child's welfare. If all else fails, you can use the legal system.

Demand payments through the legal system  To demand child support payments through the legal system, you must have a child support order. You have to apply through the Washington Child Support Services to get the order.

Contact the Washington Division of Child Support via phone on (360) 664-5321 or (800) 922-4306 or via mail to the following address:

Division of Child Support

P.O. Box 11520

Tacoma, Washington 98411-5520

The court order will be signed by a judge and enforced thereafter.

How Are Child Support Payments Enforced in Washington State?

Washington State child support laws allow the court and state representatives to demand child support on behalf of the custodial parent. Child support payments in Washington are enforced in three ways:

1. Enforcing Child Support Payments Through a Court Order 

This is an order to enforce the child support order. The judge will issue an order to the Collection and Disbursement Unit to collect child support payments from the non-custodial parent on behalf of the custodial parent. 

The payments can be collected from the delinquent parent in one of the following ways:

  • Withholding income
  • Intercepting their tax refunds
  • Intercepting lottery winnings
  • Placing liens on their personal property
  • Wage garnishment
  • Garnishing federal retirement benefits

2. Enforcing Child Support Payments Through a Motion of Contempt 

If the non-custodial parent refuses to pay child support, you can file a contempt motion with the court. This means that the non-custodial parent deliberately refuses to pay child support and is subject to prosecution. The court can find the delinquent parent in civil or criminal contempt. The judge will issue a payment order and, in some cases, issue jail time until the delinquent payments are made.

3. Enforcing Child Support Payments Through Penalties

The judge may also issue penalties to the delinquent parent to make them compliant with child support payments using mechanisms such as:

  • License suspension
  • Reporting back child support to the credit bureau
  • Passport suspension

How to Demand Child Support Payments With the Help of DoNotPay

DoNotPay helps you avoid tedious legal procedures and confrontation with your co-parent by helping you demand child support payments conveniently.

If you want to file a demand letter for late child support payments but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:

  1. Search child support on DoNotPay and enter the details of the person who owes the payments.


  2. Tell us more about the payment schedule, including the amount and frequency of the payments, the last payment they made and number of missed payments, and how much they owe you in total.


  3. Confirm your contact information and select whether you want us to mail or email the letter on your behalf. Choose how you would like to receive the payment and verify your signature.


DoNotPay Works Across All States With the Click of a Button

Each state has different rules and regulations regarding child support, making the entire process confusing and overwhelming. Luckily, DoNotPay has child support guides for each state. Find yours below:

South CarolinaKansasNorth Dakota
Rhode IslandNebraskaMississippi
New MexicoOhioArkansas
New HampshireNevadaArizona
AlabamaKentuckyWest Virginia
Washington StateColoradoIndiana
CaliforniaNew YorkNew Jersey
FloridaNorth CarolinaWisconsin

Why Use DoNotPay to Demand Child Support Payments?

Financial support from both parents is vital to the well-being of the child. If one parent neglects their responsibility, it strains both the custodial parent and the child. Demanding child support through the legal system is frustrating and can be physically and emotionally draining. 

We can also answer a lot of your other child-support related questions, like:

DoNotPay helps ease the burden by filing a demand letter for child support payments in one button click. What's more, we'll carry out the follow-up procedures on your behalf to ensure you get what you deserve. Sign up today to enjoy more convenient services with no hassle.

Want your issue solved now?