Everything About The The Wabash Valley Correctional Facility
Wabash Valley Correctional Facility, located south of Terre Haute and north of tiny Carlisle, Indiana (pop. 660), has had its share of the notoriety of late. Overseen by warden Frank Vanihel, the prison holds 2199 minimum- to maximum- security prisoners who yearn for connection with loved ones. This includes those located in the infamous Secure Housing Unit (SHU) where inmates reportedly held a hunger strike in 2018 to protest against inhumane conditions such as little food, cell temperature regulation, and other sensory abuses. Social media and alternative online newsgroups report that not a lot has changed, which makes it all the more important to connect with inmates. DoNotPay can help you find inmates, write, and stay connected with them.
Although regional and local mainstream newspapers report just one man went on the hunger strike because he was in the confinement unit for nearly two years and deprived of basic sensory needs. It is important to note that whether it is one man or many, it doesn't matter, being able to connect with family and friends is a basic human need that DoNotPay can help you, on the outside, facilitate.
The Wabash Valley Correctional Facility Contact and Location Information
The 340-acre Wabash Valley Correctional Facility was established in 1990 and is seven acres larger than the entire town of Carlisle, both of which lie in Sullivan County.
|Physical Address||Wabash Valley Correctional Facility
PO Box 500
6908 S Old US Highway 41
Carlisle, IN 47838
|Phone Number||(812) 398-5050|
|Website||Wabash Valley Correctional Facility|
Basic Wabash Valley Correctional Facility Statistics
- Capacity reports vary but the Indiana Department of Corrections (IDOC) page reports a total capacity of 2,199.
- Approved state staff: 647
- Contractual positions: 114 (medical, food service, education, and offender phones)
- Annual operating cost: approximately $42 million
How the Wabash Prisoners Are Housed (So You Know Where Your Loved One Is)
Minimum security: Up to 198 offenders can be housed in the two open-bay wing dormitory settings located outside the maximum security fencing.
Maximum security: Has three housing units with 88 cells that house two men in each cell. Here are the three specialized cells:
- Special Needs Acclimation Program (DHU-SNAP): 28 cells
- Pre-hearing restricted status housing unit: 16 cells
- General population: 44 cells
All cells are double-bunked and average 8-by-12 feet in size.
The aforementioned north side Secured Confinement Unit: restricted. Houses up to 288 offenders in single cells. This unit is for disciplinary/administrative restricted housing status.
The maximum-security south cells have five units housing up to 200 offenders in 2-man cells. The special K-Unit is a special needs unit for mentally ill offenders. Other special needs units include the administrative and short-term restricted housing units with 72 single cells and an infirmary that can house up to 14 offenders.
How to Contact Inmates at the Wabash Valley Correctional Facility
PO Box 1111
Carlisle, IN 47838-1111
All mail and packages are sent to this address. Mail will be opened, read, and copied. All correspondence is copied with the offender present during copying. All offenders receive copies of the correspondence, not the originals. All packages will likewise be opened and inspected according to Executive Directive #20-30 which became effective June 6, 2020.
It's important that you address your letters and packages exactly as noted above.
Due to Covid-19 and its subsequent variants, the visitation policy has been very restricted with most offender-attorney visits virtual and in-person visits. The WVCF has updated its policy to bridge prior Covid restrictions with the upcoming normalization of the visitation policy. For the most current visit updates, call the Wabash Valley Correctional Facility before coming for your visit.
Normal visitation policies are in place with the following restrictions:
- Masks will be provided by the facility and must be worn at all times. These are the only masks authorized by the facility to be worn.
- Visitors must arrive 30 minutes early to their scheduled visit for processing and to maintain their full one-hour visitation.
- Visitors can purchase up to 3 items not exceeding $20.
How to Send Money to the Wabash Valley Correctional Facility
Every offender in the Indiana penal system has six accounts:
- Trust Fund Account: This is for the commissary to be used for food, hygiene, and property items.
- Advance Pay Phone Account: Reloadable prepaid phone minutes to call only you.
- PIN Debit Phone Account: Money for phone calls to persons on his call list.
- Debit Link Account: Currently for messaging. Subscriptions for music, movies, and books. $1.00 will get you 100 link units (coming in the future).
- Message Link Account: For messages only. You can add a video or photo to your messages. Offenders cannot return videos or photos of themselves. $.27 = 1 credit = 1 message or photo. Video = $.81 = 3 credits.
- Video Visitation Account: Video visits by account only. 10 minutes = $3.30; 25 minutes = $8.25.
Get in Touch With Your Loved Ones via DoNotPay
It can be tough to get in touch with your loved one at the Wabash Valley Correctional Facility. Money may take a while to get credited into inmate accounts, correspondence, and packages can be "on hold" for up to two weeks for clearance, and if an offender is housed in a restricted unit, then contact may be iffy at best. DoNotPay can help alleviate some of those challenges.
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay is your one-stop-shop for all things to make your life more manageable.
- Credit card issues
- Cancel subscriptions and memberships
- Airline flight cancellations compensation
- Am I Owed Money?
- Stalking and harassment protection