Get the Scoop on the Volusia County Divorce Process
Terminating a marriage is usually depicted as a long, stressful, and complicated affair. It doesn’t always have to be that way. Having the right information and assistance can make the procedure run smoothly.
We’ll break down the Volusia County divorce process and give you all the necessary details. Sign up for DoNotPay to acquire a rock-solid marital settlement agreement and speed up your uncontested Florida divorce.
Getting a marriage dissolution requires some research. Before filing your petition, you should understand the key aspects of a Volusia County divorce. Here’s what you should know:
- On what grounds you can get divorced
- Which requirements you have to meet before filing the petition
- How much a divorce costs
- How long it takes to get divorced
Divorces in Florida—and all of its counties—are no-fault-based. This makes the petitioning process much easier because neither spouse has to take responsibility for the breakdown of the marriage. Grounds for marriage dissolution in Volusia County include:
- Irretrievable breakdown of the marriage, without any chance of reconciliation
- Mental incapacity of one of the spouses that’s lasted for at least three years prior to petitioning
Not everyone can get a divorce in Volusia County—you have to meet certain residency requirements. A court cannot complete your divorce if it doesn’t have jurisdiction. To file for divorce in any part of Florida, you or your spouses must have been a resident of the state for at least six years before filing the petition.
Divorce expenses vary from one state to another. How much a divorce is going to cost in Florida and its counties depends on various factors. The amount can range from slightly over $400 to more than $100,000. If you and your spouse can settle disputes on your own and agree on important matters, you can get divorced without a lawyer. To get an uncontested divorce in Volusia County, you won’t have to pay more than filing fees, which are $400 on average.
The divorce type, case-specific details, and other factors determine the duration of a divorce in Florida. The mandatory waiting period between filing a petition and the hearing is 20 days, so it can’t be less than that. What affects the duration the most is the type of dissolution. If you and your spouse can negotiate between yourselves and agree on the major issues, you can expedite the process considerably.
Are you ending your marriage on friendly terms? You might be eligible for an uncontested divorce, but you should see if you meet the requirements.
To qualify for a simplified dissolution of marriage, you and your spouse have to meet all of the following criteria:
- Both of you have to agree on the type of divorce
- You don’t have minor (under 18) or dependent children together
- The wife is not pregnant
- At least one of you meets the residency requirements
- You agree on the grounds of the divorce
- Neither one of you is requesting spousal maintenance
- You have agreed on how to divide your debts and assets
- Petition for Dissolution of Marriage
- With Dependent or Minor Children
- With Property but No Dependent or Minor Children
- With No Dependent Minor Children or Property
- Family Law Financial Affidavit
- Notice of
- Current Address
- Social Security Number
- Divorce Settlement Agreement
With the right instructions, getting a divorce without a lawyer doesn’t have to be demanding. Consult the following table to learn the steps to filing for divorce in Volusia County:
|File documents with the court||Fill out the forms following the instructions from the Florida Courts website. Make two copies of each document—one for you and the other for your spouse—and file the original document with the clerk at the Circuit Clerk’s office|
|Serve divorce papers||There are several ways to serve your spouse with divorce papers in Florida:
|Wait for an answer||Your spouse has 20 days to file an answer to your petition—otherwise, the court can enter a “default” and proceed with the process without your spouse|
If you qualify for an uncontested divorce, you’ll need a well-crafted divorce settlement agreement to outline the terms you and your spouse have negotiated. It’s possible to write it on your own, but it is risky. Making even a trivial mistake can invalidate the document. Don’t take any chances—let the first robot lawyer help you out!
We have an extensive database of all state divorce laws and requirements and use it to create the most suitable custom-made divorce settlement agreements.
Here’s everything you need to do:
- Open DoNotPay
- Choose the Divorce Settlement Agreement tool
- Answer our chatbot’s questions regarding your marriage
You’ll receive a personalized divorce settlement agreement within minutes! Do you have to get it notarized? While filling out the questionnaire, check that you need a notary public, and we’ll help you set up an appointment.
Want to know if you can get a quickie divorce in Florida or how to file for a Florida divorce without a spouse? Visit our learning center to find answers to these and other frequently asked questions, such as:
- Can I file for an online divorce?
- Can I get a divorce without going to court?
- How can I get a divorce without a lawyer?
- What is mediation in divorce?
- How can I achieve a low-cost divorce?
- Who qualifies for an out-of-court divorce settlement?
DoNotPay’s goal is to have a multitude of features that can be useful to you with handling various issues. Whether you want to apply for clinical trials, prepare for government tests, or even get in touch with your locked-up friends or family—DoNotPay has got you covered!
For a small yearly fee, our AI-based app will help you:
- Put an end to spam email and texts
- Sue any person or company in small claims court
- Jump the queue for any customer service
- Extend deadlines for bills you can't cover at the moment
- Protect your work from copyright infringement
- File insurance or warranty claims
- Find and claim any missing money
- Protect yourself from stalking and harassment
- Schedule appointments at the DMV
- Draw up various legal documents with ease
- Get child travel consent forms hassle-free
- Generate power of attorney and divorce settlement agreements
- Get perfect passport photos
- Fight discrimination at your workplace
As if that wasn’t enough, we’ll save you money and spare you from a headache if you receive any faulty deliveries by filing a refund or an item return request in your stead! This is just the tip of the iceberg of features that DoNotPay has in store for you.