How to Contact Inmates in Virginia Prisons and Jails
In the state of Virginia, there are 26 prison facilities and 71 jail facilities holding about 35,000 total prisoners. That's a lot of loved ones unable to see their families on a daily and weekly basis. Many Virginia inmates keep in touch through letter-writing. Receiving letters is a great way to get news from home that doesn't require limited phone time, and sending letters is one of the few ways inmates are allowed to freely communicate with friends and family.
Of course, actually getting mail through the system of Virginia prisons is not as easy as it sounds. To send a letter successfully, you need an inmate's full name, location, and inmate ID number - and for each letter to be fully compliant with prison policies. DoNotPay can help you perform a quick and easy prisoner search and establish an ongoing way to trade letters with your loved one in a Virginia prison or jail.
Virginia Prisons Contact Information
|Physical Address||Virginia Department of Corrections
P.O. Box 26963
Richmond, VA 23261-6963
|Phone Number||(804) 674-3000|
|Website||Virginia Department of Corrections|
How To Send Letters to Inmates in Virginia Prisons and Jails
Sending Mail and Packages to a Virginia Inmate
The way you address a letter to an inmate is extremely important.
|Inmate Mailing Address
Inmate's first and last name
Inmate's 7-digit state ID number
Name of Facility or Institution
Address and Zip Code
The Rules for Mailing Letters to Inmates of Virginia Prisons
Inmate mail in Virginia prisons and jails is not delivered directly. Instead, it is searched, photocopied, and the copies are delivered to the inmate. The original envelope is copied along with each page and photo sent. A total of three 8.5"x11" pages will be delivered, printed in black and white on the front and back. This limits your content to five pages, as one is used to photocopy the envelope.
|Accepted Mail||Not Accepted Mail|
Sending Money to Virginia Prison and Jail Inmates
Virginia officially works through JPay to provide funds for inmates. You can make a JPay deposit online, over the phone, or through a mobile app. You can also submit cash through a MoneyGram agent location or mail a deposit slip to the JPay office.
How to Visit Virginia Prison Inmates
Visitation is still limited in Virginia prisons and jails due to COVID concerns. As of November 2021, in-person visitations are once again possible. However, video visits are still an option through AFOI. Guests who want to visit an inmate will need to submit a self-administered COVID-19 antigen test on the day of the scheduled visit. A negative test result is required to enter the facility.
If you are a new visitor, Submit an Application to gain visitor approval. Attach child applications to an adult application. From there, you will need to schedule each visit with the Virginia correctional facility.
Only inmates that have been vaccinated will be able to visit in person. However, video visits are available.
How To Call a Prisoner in Virginia
- Get on the Approved Call List
- Provide Funds to the Inmate's GTL Prepaid-Phone Account
- Be available to receive phone calls
Virginia prisoners can't receive phone calls, but they can make calls using a prepaid phone plan. This is standard for most states. The state of Virginia has partnered with Global Tel*Link or GTL. By going through their website, you can establish and fund a phone plan for your loved one so they can call you during permitted phone times. Calls are typically limited to 20 minutes for fair use of the phones.
Get in Touch With Your Loved Ones via DoNotPay
Contacting an inmate in Virginia prisons and jails is not always as easy as it should be. Just sending a letter can become a problem if you don't have the basic information. DoNotPay can help you establish a strong communication system with your incarcerated loved one, starting with the information you need to address a letter.
- Simple inmate search
- Upload letters to be sent, perfectly addressed, every time
- Receive return letters in an online inbox.
DoNotPay's Connect with an Inmate product was designed to make staying in touch easy and enjoyable. First, we'll help you find your incarcerated friend with a quick name and state inmate search. We'll get you their inmate ID and exact location so every piece of mail can find them. Then we can help you establish an online inbox (and return address) so all letters sent from your inmate are scanned and can be checked online.
DoNotPay Can Help You Locate Your Imprisoned Friend
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay can do more beyond connecting you with inmates of Virginia prisons and jails. Our many products are designed to save time and money with all life's little hassles.
- Schedule a DMV appointment
- Signing up for services without a phone
- Fast and Easy Customer Services
- Applying for clinical trials
- Lawsuits in small claims court
- Stop robocalls
- Avoiding text spam
- Delayed and canceled flight refunds
- Manage credit cards
- Deal with problematic bills
- Fighting speeding tickets
- Cancel subscriptions or memberships
- Sign up for free trials without paying
- Finding any unclaimed funds under your name
- Copyright infringement
- Disputing traffic tickets
- Contact an imprisoned friend
- Refunds and chargebacks
- Parking tickets
- Protect yourself from stalking and harassment
- Stop spam email
Could you use some help getting in touch with an inmate in the Virginia prisons and jails? DoNotPay is here to provide the services you need to achieve your goals.