Virginia Car Registration Renewal Without Stress
When the notification that it's time to renew your car's registration shows up, it generally comes as a surprise. Already? Didn't you just do that? But the Virginia car registration renewal process doesn't have to be a chore.
Dealing with the DMV is never fun, and making sure you have all the paperwork in order is a hassle. Fortunately, DoNotPay can take care of that for you. Learn more about how DoNotPay can make your registration process easy and stress-free.
How to Renew Your Car Registration in Virginia
Once your car is registered in Virginia, the DMV will send you reminders when it's time to renew the registration. You can opt to get them by email, text message, or mail. Once you've gotten your notice, it's your job to see that the task gets done. Here's what you need to know to complete a Virginia vehicle registration renewal :
- Drivers get a $1 discount when they register online. The website has a list of eligibility requirements and different expectations for North Virginia residents.
- In-person at your local DMV Select office. You can get walk-in service on Tuesdays, Thursdays, or Saturdays (if your local office has Saturday hours). If you wish to schedule an appointment, times are available on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
- You can mail your renewal to your local DMV. Be sure to allow for post office delays.
- Pay the vehicle registration fee, which ranges from $30.75 to $35.75 for passenger cars and $35.75 to $44.75 for pickup trucks.
- You might be charged a local registration fee if your vehicle is garaged in a location that participates in the DMV's Local Vehicle Registration Program. This fee ranges from $30 to $35.
- Payment forms accepted are Discover, MasterCard, Visa, or American Express credit cards, MasterCard or Visa debit cards, and bank and check account information to allow the DMV to electronically withdraw funds from your account.
Important Things to Know
There are a few important facts to know when taking care of your car registration renewal. Keep these in mind to prevent complications.
- If you renew your registration after its expiration date, a $10 late fee will be assessed.
- You can be denied a car registration renewal for the following reasons: delinquent parking tickets, personal property taxes, toll violations, or other outstanding fees. These will have to be paid or dismissed before you can finish the renewal process.
- If you have less than 15 days before your registration expires, print out an Official Internet Receipt and carry it with you to avoid a ticket while you wait for your decals to arrive in the mail.
- If your registration is expired, but it's been less than 90 days, an Official Internet Receipt will also protect you.
How Often Do You Need to Renew Your Car Registration in Virginia?
Virginia gives residents the option of renewing their car registration every year, two years, or three years. Not everyone is eligible for the convenience of multi-year renewals, though.
You can't get the two-year registration if:
- Your vehicle weighs 55,000 pounds or more
- It's registered under the International Registration Plan
- You've been required to pay the uninsured motor vehicle fee
- You live in an emissions area and the emissions inspection is due in a year
You aren't eligible for three-year registration if:
- You're renewing your registration by mail;
- Your vehicle is garaged in Arlington, Fairfax City, Loudoun, Prince William, Stafford, Alexandria, Fairfax County, Falls Church, Manassas, or Manassas Park because these localities require an emissions inspection every other year
- Your vehicle weighs 55,000 pounds or more
- Your vehicle is registered under the International Registration Plan
- You have been charged the uninsured motor vehicle fee.
Let DoNotPay Get Your Car Registration Renewal Out of the Way
If coping with the DMV and their varying expectations doesn't sound like fun, there is an easier way. DoNotPay specializes in taking care of frustrating details, and you can hand this task over in just a few steps. Here's how easy it is to renew your car registration using DoNotPay:
- Go to the Renew Car Registrations product on DoNotPay.
- Answer a few questions about your current vehicle, including the license plate number, vehicle identification number, make and model, etc.
- Verify your identity with a state driver's license and registration documents.
- Decide how long you want to extend the renewal for (if your state offers multiple options).
- Pay the registration fee (or let us automatically calculate it if you aren't sure).
DoNotPay can help you get your car registration renewed across all 50 states below:
DoNotPay Works Efficiently Across Many Platforms With the Click of a Mouse
Virginia residents aren't the only people who can benefit from this remarkable service. We can schedule a DMV appointment anywhere in the US. We can also get your birth certificate, no matter which state you were born in. We specialize in knowing all the different states' procedures, so you don't have to.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Dealing with vehicle registration renewals is just the tip of the iceberg. DoNotPay can also solve these day-to-day hassles for you, easily and quickly.
- Schedule DMV appointments
- Reduce property taxes
- Deal with parking tickets
- Notarize documents
- Dispute seatbelt tickets
- Generate standardized legal documents
There's no reason you should have to waste your time on tasks that we can easily cross off your to-do list. Let DoNotPay ease your workload today!