Learn All About Crime Victims Compensation in Delaware
The road to recovery for victims of violent crimes and their loved ones is long. Financial issues caused by a crime can make the healing process much slower. Are you a victim of a crime that took place in Delaware? If paying the crime-related costs represents a struggle for you, consider applying for crime victims compensation in Delaware.
DoNotPay is here to help you file your crime victims compensation application in less than five minutes. We can help victims of any violent crime—including assaults, terrorist attacks, and domestic violence—get financial assistance as quickly as possible.
Delaware Victims Compensation Assistance Program Explained
The Delaware Department of Justice helps crime victims and their dependents deal with various costs caused by violent crimes through the Victims Compensation Assistance Program (VCAP). Some of the violent crimes that the program covers are:
- Domestic violence
- Child abuse
- Sexual abuse and assault
The VCAP receives funding for crime victims from three sources:
- Offenders fees and fines (18%)
- Sex-offense conviction fines (for forensic exams):
- Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) grant
Before you apply for the Victims Compensation Assistance Program, make sure you’ve used your insurance, Medicaid, donations, and other sources first. The program is the payer of last resort, which means that it only covers the expenses that other collateral sources can’t.
Find Out if You Qualify for Victims Compensation in DE
To be eligible to apply for crime victims compensation in Delaware, you have to:
- Have suffered physical or mental trauma in a compensable crime that happened in Delaware
- Have filed a police report in the first 72 hours
- Cooperate with law enforcement during the investigation and prosecution
- File your VCAP application within a year of the incident
- Cooperate with the program staff and provide all info they request
Both the reporting and filing period requirement can be waived in some cases, depending on the circumstances of a crime.
If you have contributed to your injuries by participating in illegal activity, you won’t get the reimbursement.
DoNotPay Helps You Apply for Victims Compensation in Delaware Hassle-Free!
While some people aren’t aware of the crime victims compensation programs, most of them avoid applying because of the complicated application process. DoNotPay makes sure all violent crime victims get their rightful compensation so that they can rebuild their lives without worrying about the financial repercussions of the crime.
Our app enables an easy and quick application for all violent crime victims. With us, you can apply for the Victims Compensation Assistance Program in Delaware in a few clicks by following these steps:
- Register for DoNotPay
- Open the Compensation for Crime Victims product
- Let us know whether you’re:
- The victim
- A family member or dependent of the victim
- Answer our chatbot’s questions about the crime and the expenses you have to cover
- Verify your signature
DoNotPay will fill out your application automatically and send it to the right office. With us, you can apply for crime victims compensation programs in any state, including:
Learn What Happens After You Submit Your VCAP Application
When you file your application, VCAP staff will request police reports and other necessary documentation to check if your application is valid. The processing time is different for each claim, and it depends on:
- How complete and accurate your application is
- How much time the staff needs to collect additional documents
As soon as the program staff makes a decision, you’ll be notified with a letter that will also list the approved payments. Should you disagree with the staff’s decision, you can either request a reconsideration or file an appeal.
Which Costs Are Covered by the DE Victims Compensation Assistance Program?
The highest compensable amount that a victim or another claimant can get is $25,000, with the additional $25,000 for totally and permanently disabled victims. The Victims Compensation Assistance Program in Delaware covers the following costs:
|Covered Expenses||Compensation Cap|
|Medical exams||Not specified|
|Mental health counseling for victims and family members||Not specified|
|Short-term mental health counseling for children who are victims or witnesses (through a separate application procedure)||$1,200|
|Lost wages||Up to the highest compensable amount|
|Lost support||Up to the highest compensable amount in the case of homicide
$3,000 for other crimes
|Funeral||$6,000 for funeral
$1,000 for plot
$750 for opening and closing a grave
$750 for a grave marker
|Relocation expenses for domestic violence victims||$1,500 for temporary housing|
|Travel for medical exams and mental health counseling if a victim needs to travel more than 10 miles roundtrip||Not specified|
|Crime scene cleanup||$1,000|
|Replacement of items that are kept as evidence (e.g., clothing, car, and similar)||Not specified|
The VCAP also covers the costs of forensic exams for sexual assault victims through a separate process (outside of regular application procedure).
The program doesn’t cover the costs for pain and suffering or lost, stolen, and damaged property.
DoNotPay Can Do Your Paperwork for You!
Feeling like you're in bureaucratic hell? Our app will draft the paperwork you need and get you out of any hurdle before you know it!
We can compose most of the documents that you require for any administrative purpose in your jurisdiction, most notably:
- Legal forms for the small claims court disputes in your state
- Court scripts so you don't get lost for words in front of the judge
- Parking ticket appeals
- Extension letters and fee waivers for your overdue bills
- Warranty claims
- Cease and desist letters for stalkers and harassers bolstered by applicable state and federal laws
- Dispute letters for chargebacks and refunds
- DMCA takedown notices
- Forgotten property claims
- College fee waiver applications
- Application emails for clinical trials in your area that boost your chances of enrollment
- Digitized letters for keeping in touch with your imprisoned loved ones that comply with the local prison practices
- Insurance claims
More of What We Can Do for You
Our multifaceted app can call and record the conversation with the customer service of the company that just won't let you go! If you are having trouble canceling an unwanted service via the traditional channels, use DoNotPay to get it over and done with!
We'll also lend a helping hand in stopping spam mail—whether it's electronic or paper. Our Spam Collector product unsubscribes you from unwanted emails and cleans up your physical mailbox too!