Learn About the World Trade Center Victim Compensation Payouts
Around 3,000 people died, and two times more were injured in the 9/11 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in 2001. Shortly after the attack, the government established the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) to help survivors and family members of the deceased victims deal with out-of-pocket expenses resulting from the attack.
In this article, you can learn all about the VCF victim compensation payouts and find out how to apply for them.
What Is the WTC Victim Compensation Fund?
Besides numerous injured and deceased victims, the attack on the World Trade Center brought additional problems—potential lawsuits.
The government founded the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund to prevent the lawsuits that were likely to happen. The initial purpose of the Fund was to serve as a mediator between victims and airline companies—victims and their families would get reimbursement in exchange for not suing the airline companies involved in the attack.
The WTC Victim Compensation Fund has a long history—after several reauthorizations, the Fund got permanent financing when the Senate almost unanimously voted for its permanent authorization.
The VCF enables compensation for the following categories:
- Victims of the 9/11 attack
- Family members of the deceased victims
- Parents or legal guardian of underaged victims
- Personal representatives of incapable adults
Victim Compensation Payouts—How Much Do Victims Get?
The information about how much each victim gets through the VCF is not readily available, but the following table can offer some insight into the compensation payouts for the 2018 fiscal year:
|Claimant Category||Number of Approved Claims||Victim Compensation Payout Amount|
|Non-Responder NYC—Cleaning or Maintenance Work||693||$80,939,483|
|Non-Responder NYC—Other Capacity||2671||$634,886,384|
|Resident Within NYC Exposure Zone||471||$102,953,949|
|Attendant of School, Childcare, or Adult Care Facility||55||$10,754,643|
Who Can Get the WTC Victim Compensation Fund Payouts?
Crime victim compensation was previously intended solely for victims whose injuries and deaths were directly related to the Twin Towers attack. More people are now dying from the illnesses that they developed after the attack, usually cancers.
Because of that, the Fund now offers compensation to the people who fell ill after being present at the New York City Exposure Zone between September 11, 2001, and May 30, 2002.
To file for compensation, the Fund requires you to:
- Register with the Victim Compensation Fund according to the deadline
- File a claim before October 1, 2090
- Dismiss, settle, or withdraw any legal proceedings concerning the 9/11 attack you may have
- Show that you have physical injury certified by the World Trade Center Health Program
- Prove that you were present at the New York City Exposure Zone or the debris removal sites during the specified period
- Show you have legal authority if filing a claim on someone’s behalf
- Prove that your injuries or illnesses worsened after you had already claimed compensation
In the following table, you can find the deadlines for registering and filing claims with the VCF:
|Deadline for Filing Claims||
Deadline for Registration
|October 1, 2090||
Apply for WTC Victim Compensation Fund Payouts With DoNotPay
Even 20 years later, the 9/11 World Trade Center attack remains the worst terrorist attack in the history of the U.S. After so much time, you maybe aren’t even thinking about filing for victims compensation, but it remains rightfully yours.
DoNotPay’s Compensation for Crime Victims product enables you to file claims with the VCF in the blink of an eye and without hassle. We made sure that the process is simple and straightforward so that the victims don’t have to experience additional trouble.
Access DoNotPay and follow these instructions to get compensation from the VCF program:
- Open the Compensation for Crime Victims product
- Tell us if you are filing a claim on your or someone else’s behalf
- Answer several questions about the attack and out-of-pocket expenses
- Sign and verify
Our AI bots will momentarily complete the application and send it to the 9/11 VCF office.
DoNotPay Can Help Victims of Violent Crimes
Besides helping you get reimbursement for terrorist attack-related costs, we can provide all the necessary information about the:
- Victim funds for violent crimes
- Emergency funds for victims of domestic violence
- Relocation expenses for victims of domestic or sexual violence
- Average victims of crime compensation amounts
You can log in to your DoNotPay account to file for victim compensation in:
Keep Your Money Safe With DoNotPay
DoNotPay Is a Time-Saving App
DoNotPay helps you sort out these tasks and much more in only a few clicks.
Get your revenge on robocallers, report text scammers, find validated clinical trials, claim your warranties, get in touch with your loved ones in prison, and protect your creative content—all in less than five minutes.
No more hours-long phone calls, emails, or in-person visits.