Veterans Administration Form DD214 Paperwork Made Easy
If you need documentation of your service record to access your veteran's benefits, you need the Veterans Administration Forms DD214 and you need to fill out your request application correctly. And if you've been in the military, you know what a headache paperwork can be.
But it doesn't have to be. You can always find, print, fill out, and return your application for the VA Form DD214 yourself, but wouldn't it be easier to have a "virtual assistant" that can do it (and a bunch of other important military benefit-related tasks) for you?
That's what DoNotPay can do for you.
What Is the Veterans Administration Form DD214?
Veterans Administration Forms DD214, also referred to as DD Form 214, is a veteran's official Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. Since January 1, 1950, it's been the standard form across all military branches and is the primary means of proving a veteran's military service so they can obtain access to benefits, pensions, preferred employment, and veterans' organizations.
What Information Is on VA Form DD214?
According to the National Personnel Records Center, this form may include some or all of the following:
- Date service began
- Home address when the veteran signed up for duty
- The date of release from active duty
- The veteran's last rank and duty assignment
- Military specialty
- Military education
- Total creditable service, both domestic and foreign
- Citations, medals, badges, and decorations
- Date and type of separation
- Reason for separation
- Eligibility for reenlistment
- Character of service
Who Can Request Veterans' Military Records?
In addition to the living veteran on record, the next of kin of a deceased service member can request their military records, though these might be limited records as required to obtain funeral and death benefits. Next of kin is defined as:
- A surviving spouse who has not remarried
Immediate family members must provide personal identification and proof of death of their loved one, which may be:
- A copy of the veteran's death certificate
- A letter from the funeral home
- A newspaper obituary
How to Get Your VA Form DD214
There are four main channels for requesting your or a loved one's military service records.
- Download, print, and fill out this application (Standard Form 180) and mail it to National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) at this address
- 1 Archives Drive. St. Louis, Missouri 63138, or
- Deliver the application to the address above in person; this method is useful if you need assistance.
- Mail the application to any of the other 13 offices listed on the Standard Form 180 instructions.
- Use a third-party online research and application service like DoNotPay.
Get Your Veterans Administration Discharge Papers With the Help of DoNotPay
At first glance, the form required to obtain your Veterans Administration Form DD214 is incredibly overwhelming, which is why DoNotPay's user-friendly chatbot makes the process much less intimidating. There's the added benefit of DoNotPay's automatic prompts to help you find the information you need for your application, and the ease of knowing DoNotPay will send your information to the appropriate military records offices for you.
If you want to get your Veterans Administration Form DD214 with DoNotPay, we have you covered in 3 easy steps:
- Search for and open the Military Protection product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether you want to 1) locate the nearest VA office, 2) access veteran benefits, or 3) locate service records.
- Answer a simple set of questions so our chatbot can collect the necessary information to help you and find the nearest office or fill out the appropriate forms.
What Else Can DoNotPay’s Military Protection Products Do for Veterans Like You?
Wasn't that easy? Do you have other military paperwork you need to handle ASAP? Requesting your military separation papers isn't the only thing DoNotPay can do for our Armed Forces veterans and their families. Here are other ways the DoNotPay Military Protection service can help:
- Find out which veterans' benefits you are entitled to
- Enroll in veterans' health insurance opportunities
- Apply for veterans' home loan programs
- Get veteran benefits for assisted living
- Find and obtain benefits for disabled veterans
- Learn about and request veterans burial benefits
- Take advantage of the G.I. bill to get an education
- Submit paperwork to get your veterans pension benefits
Does DoNotPay Only Handle Military Benefits Paperwork?
Absolutely not! We got our start helping consumers fight traffic tickets, and now our AI systems can help advocate for you in any number of ways, including:
- Fill out your advance health care directives
- File a formal complaint
- Cancel memberships and services
- Stop spam texts
- File insurance claims
- Get compensated for illegal robocalls
- Even get free raffle tickets!
Why You Want DoNotPay on Your Side
DoNotPay members get to enjoy all the benefits of having a virtual assistant, or "robot lawyer" on their side to handle all sorts of life's hassles, whether you're enjoying civilian life or you're still serving today. Regardless of your current military status, you're entitled to get your separation papers without having to cut through red tape.
DoNotPay is here for you, and we're…
|Fast||Send in your separation request paperwork within minutes!|
|Easy||We'll help you find the right forms, and help you fill them out.|
|Successful||You'll get your request sent in with the right information, so you can get your Veterans Administration Form DD214 sooner!|
During your service, you've encountered plenty of challenges, and you could certainly overcome those presented by Veterans Administration form DD214, but you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to verify your veteran status and access your benefits. Let's get started today!