Get the Lowdown on Vermont Divorce Laws
Going through a divorce doesn’t have to be the highest stress in your life. Get to know the filing process, prepare the right paperwork, and find out what the mandatory separation and waiting periods are.
You should gather information on Vermont divorce laws to finalize your marriage dissolution in a breeze and without breaking the bank. Besides providing essential details, DoNotPay helps you handle the required documentation.
To file for divorce in Vermont, you need to fulfill the following criteria:
|Residency requirements||You or your spouse must have:
|Separation period||You and your spouse:
|Grounds for divorce||If you’d like to prove your spouse’s fault, here are some grounds you can cite:
If you and your spouse have minor children, you’ll need to wait for six months for the final hearing. The judge might allow it sooner if you have had a solid parenting agreement for a minimum of six months.
For your divorce to be final, you’ll need to wait for three months after the final hearing. If you and your spouse both agree to shorten or waive this mandatory waiting time, you could let the judge know, and they may approve it.
A divorce will take much longer if you leave for the judge to decide on these matters.
If you and your spouse need help resolving certain divorce matters, you should consider mediation.
Depending on whether you’ve got children or not, here are sets of forms you need to fill out and file with the court:
|Divorce With Underage Children||Divorce Without Children|
If the court orders additional documents, you’ll also need to complete:
Filing for divorce in VT doesn’t have to be complicated since you can find all necessary forms on the Vermont Judiciary website.
For an uncontested divorce, you need to:
- Download and fill out the court forms—You can do it alone, i.e., you don’t need to hire a lawyer
- Prepare a divorce settlement agreement—Register for DoNotPay to get efficient assistance
- File the required paperwork—You can deliver or mail it to your or your spouse’s county’s court
Since a divorce settlement agreement is one of the documents you’ll present to the court, you should make sure it’s prepared correctly. You don’t have to pay a considerable lawyer’s retainer fee to draw up this document—use DoNotPay instead!
Our AI-powered app scans the latest state laws to ensure your agreement complies with them.
To get the document, sign up for DoNotPay and take these steps:
- Select the Divorce Settlement Agreement feature
- Provide information by answering our chatbot’s questions
- Choose if you’d like to have the document notarized
Browse through our guides if you need assistance with other divorce-related issues. We can answer numerous questions, such as:
- What’s the best way to let your kids know you’re getting a divorce?
- Can you file for divorce if your spouse is out of state?
- What’s the easiest state to get a divorce in?
- How should you deal with children in a divorce?
- Can you get divorced if you can’t afford it?
- How much does a divorce cost?
- What’s an online divorce?
- Who gets the house in a divorce?
- What can you hope for in a divorce?
- How can you protect yourself in a divorce?
- Can you finalize a divorce without visiting court?
- How should you have the divorce papers served to your spouse?
- Do you need a divorce lawyer if you and your spouse agree on everything?
Are you too busy to go to Target, Walmart, or photo studios to get your passport photos taken? DoNotPay offers you the possibility of taking them yourself and having them edited without going anywhere!
Here are some other tasks you can complete with ease using DoNotPay:
- Contest parking tickets
- Enroll in various clinical trials
- File insurance and warranty claims
- Request refunds from airline companies
- Locate inmates and write letters to them
- Reduce your property taxes
- Simplify mailing services
- Demand gift card cash back
Interested in a specific service or platform? Make sure to get the best out of your free trial without getting charged and ending up with an unwanted paid membership. Even if you make a mistake, DoNotPay can end your subscription in a few simple steps!
Our system allows you to generate virtual credit card numbers to prevent platforms from getting your real bank details and using them for unauthorized transactions. We also offer burner phone numbers that will help you go through any subscription or verification procedure without disclosing personal details.