The #1 Way to Find the Best VA Nursing Homes Near You
Have you considered a VA Nursing Home as your preferred haven in your old age? Are you aware of the dos and don'ts of enrolling in a senior living assistance home? DoNotPay is here to educate you and help you find the right senior living arrangements at the best price.
What Is a VA Nursing Home?
The term VA Nursing Home refers to federally funded elder-care facilities for US veterans and their spouses. These homes for the elderly are a benefit that you’ve earned through your service to our nation (or your spouse’s service), and one of the ways the US honors and cares for veterans. But they aren’t always the best choice for everyone.
This piece explores four key points about VA nursing homes, and other senior living assistance options:
- How to qualify for care at a VA nursing home
- How to negotiate prices at elder care homes
- How to use DoNotPay to research all the senior living options around you
- And a few other ways you can use DoNotPay
Let’s get started.
How Does One Qualify for a VA Nursing Home?
If you completed your service — and we thank you for that, by the way — you received discharge paperwork, known as DD214. You’ll need a copy of that to get into a VA nursing home.
To qualify for VA nursing homes, all these points must be true:
- You’re enrolled in VA healthcare, and
- The VA doctors believe you would benefit from a VA nursing home, and
- The service is available (spaces are open near you)
The VA says you can contact your social worker, or contact them at 877-222-8387, if you need help with any of those points.
What Services are Available to Aging Veterans?
According to the US Veterans Administration website, the VA offers:
|Long-Term Care Services||
You can get this care in many different settings—some run by VA and others run by state or community organizations that we inspect and approve.
Some nursing homes are owned and funded fully by the VA, others are operated by community organizations. The VA can also help you find daily senior care, and nursing in your own home.
There are two serious challenges faced by vets and spouses:
- Red tape and bureaucracy (the VA is an enormous organization and things take a long time)
- There is no VA nursing home nearby with space available
When either of these issues crops up, you may find yourself in a bind. Maybe you were counting on a VA nursing home, only to be turned away. DoNotPay can help you research, apply to, and negotiate prices with all the elder-care facilities in your area.
Just gather a list of local nursing homes that interest you, and let DoNotPay do the rest.
How Can You Negotiate the Cost of Senior Living Assistance on Your Own?
After you have a good list of facilities, make a plan to visit your top choices. Plan to negotiate the best prices as well. However, before you embark on a tour of the facilities, please take the following precautions.
- Be honest about your or your loved one's current needs, as well as what they might need in the future. Then, make a list of your most critical needs and concerns.
- Call the communities that interest you to learn more about them, including brochures, assisted living services, and prices. Then, visit the websites of each community for further information.
- Provide a general sketch of your budget to complete this stage. According to the AARP, four out of every five seniors pay for their own assisted living services.
- Based on our directions and your research, make a list of your top questions.
- Make time to see the facilities that most interest you. While you're there, talk to the employees and residents. Bring someone with you to help you keep track of the details.
- Make a second visit without first contacting the office. This allows you to get a feel for the facilities outside of typical visiting hours.
- Get a copy of the contract to review before you sign anything. Make sure you understand the base fee, any anticipated rate increases, and all of the small print, including the available services and the missing ones. If you're unsure about what the contract says, get help from family or a lawyer.
How to Find the Best Senior Living Arrangements
If you want to find a senior living home or negotiate nursing home costs but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Senior Living Assistance product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options that best fits your request.
- Enter the name of the home you have in mind, or enter a general location so we can search for the best options.
- Tell us more about the person applying for the home (you or your loved one) and select any special treatments that are required.
- Estimate your monthly budget.
- If you're scheduling a tour, enter the date and time you want to schedule the tour for. If you're requesting more information, please enter the questions you have / what type of information you want to request.
- Enter your contact information, including name, email, address and phone number.
See how easy that was? Let DoNotPay handle it from here. And that’s not all you can do with the app.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Finding a good senior living situation when a VA nursing home isn’t available is only one task you can handle with the app. DoNotPay can also help you:
- Manage your power of attorney and create revocable trusts
- Get better prices on prescriptions
- Deal with fraudulent robocalls and claim compensation
- Solve revocable living trust
- Hack through the customer service queue
- Help with your utility bills
- Help you leverage burner phones
- Help you in reducing your property taxes
- Help you connect with an inmate
- Notarize your documents
Sign up today to find the best VA nursing homes near you!