How To Update Voting Registration In 4 Steps
Do you need help updating your voter registration? Each state provides rules on how to update voting registration. There are a few instances when you will need to update voter registration, including a change to your name.
Fortunately, DoNotPay can help you solve this problem. DoNotPay is an expert at helping individuals, even to unregister to vote. Check out this guide on updating your voter registration.
Who Is Eligible to Vote/ Update Voting Registration?
Chances are that you are updating your voter registration as an eligible voter. However, for recap purposes and to ensure full eligibility, you can vote in US state, local, and federal elections if:
- You are a US citizen. Evidently, you may need to update voter registration in case of a change in nationality. However, some states allow non-citizens to participate in local elections.
- You meet your state's residency requirements.
- You are at least 18 years old during Election Day.
- You are registered to vote according to your state's voter registration deadline.
For first-time voters, registering to vote can be a hectic process. This may also be true for updating your voting registration. While you can attempt to update your voter registration by yourself, you can also expect to lose track of the many steps involved.
Why Should I Update My Registration to Vote?
Elections in the US take place every year, but do you need to register yearly? Below are instances and exceptions where you may have to consider a voter registration update:
- You moved to a residence within the state. In such a case, you need to update the address on voter registration to vote.
- You changed your name. You will need to update your voting card to include the new name.
- You desire to change/ update your political party affiliation.
Unfortunately, for most people, the voter registration address update is a confusing and overwhelming process. In addition, you must also submit any changes to your voter registration before your state's registration deadline. This deadline may extend up to 30 days before Election Day.
How to Update Voter Registration by Yourself?
You can update your voter registration online, by phone, or by mail. Requirements to update voter registration are a state ID number/ driving license and your social security number.
You can rely on DNP to assist you comprehensively, even on the last day to register to vote.
Update Voting Address and Details Online
Updating online is relatively easier than other methods only if your state allows online voter registration. In addition, in case your state keeps track of voters' political party preferences, the online process makes it easy for you.
- Head over to the register and vote in your state
- Choose your state and click 'Get Info'
- Click 'Register to Vote', and you will be directed to your state's online registration/update tool
Update Voting Address and Details via Mail
- Download the national mail voter registration form
- Fill out the form and mail it in. Unfortunately, New Hampshire, North Dakota, and Wyoming do not accept this mode
- Contact your local or state election office if you can't access this form and want it mailed to you
Update Voting Address and Details by Phone
Check with your local or state election office. Not all states will allow you to update voter registration via phone.
The general reason to update your voter registration is to confirm if you are a registered voter. However, updating voter registration without help is time-consuming and mildly confusing.
How to Update Voter Registration With DoNotPay
DoNotPay is the perfect solution to help you register to vote or update voter registration without the hassle of doing it yourself. Here are the DNP-generated steps to update your voter registration in the US:
- Search "voter registration" on DoNotPay.
- Select whether you want to register to vote, change your voter information, cancel your registration, or verify your registration.
- Enter the state you want to register in (or are registered in) and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements. Answer a few questions about you to help us verify your identity and complete your application.
- Provide your signature and verify that your information is correct.
Sign up with DoNotPay to ensure your voting registration update runs smoothly. DNP ensures you are fully registered, and your registration is up to date with any changes.
DoNotpay Voter Registration Guides by State
To verify your state's requirements, you can check out your state's voter registration guide right here:
How Else Can DoNotPay Help?
DoNotPay can help you with a wide range of issues besides updating your voting registration. Below are some of the additional services DoNotPay provides as a universal robot lawyer:
- Eliminate stalking and harassment
- Reduce your property taxes
- File complaints against your neighbors
- Handle mailing as a service
- Help with any insurance claim
- Take care of overwhelming bills
- Find lost items
- Solve divorce settlement agreement issues
- Fill out a child travel consent form.
If you are a registered voter, you need to check to ensure your registration is updated. Reach out to DoNotPay to help you update voting registration or for any state!