Get a Copy of Your Travis County Marriage Certificate in 5 Minutes
It happens. You move, apply for a mortgage, get a driver's license, or simply misplace your marriage certificate and you cannot find a copy anywhere. But you need it to complete the task at hand and you don't know where to start to get a copy of this valuable document on your own.
DoNotPay knows that it can be frustrating and time-consuming when you are dealing with government agencies, so they developed their Marriage Certificates product to get the help you need quickly, easily, and safely. With DoNotPay, you won't have to worry about making appointments, standing in line, or spending an abundance of time on the phone. We can get your request for your within minutes!
What Is the Difference Between a Marriage License and a Marriage Certificate?
When you got married, you and your spouse went to the Travis County Courthouse and filled out an application to be married. This license is a legal document that binds the marriage after the 72-hour waiting period. Once the license is signed during or after your marriage ceremony it is returned by an officiant to the County Recorder's office, who then issues a marriage certificate.
The main difference between a license and a certificate is that the marriage license is what you get first, basically an application to be married. Once it is filed, signed, and returned to the courthouse, it is recorded and you are issued a marriage certificate, a certified copy stating that you are officially married.
When Will You Need a Copy of Your Marriage Certificate?
There are many times that you may need a copy of your marriage certificate. Often, any time that there is a name change, you must have legal proof of the cause of the change.
Other reasons may include:
- Some insurance companies may require proof of marital status for coverage or other health benefits.
- Filing taxes if you have never filed under the married name before.
- Some mortgage companies may require a marriage certificate as a form of verification.
- If applying for passports, bank accounts, or driver's licenses, a marriage certificate may be needed to show the change in name from maiden to married surname.
- Moving out of state may require certified proof of name. If your birth certificate shows a name other than the one on your government identification, you will need a marriage certificate to show succession.
How to Get a Copy of Your Travis County Marriage Certificate on Your Own
If you need a copy of your and want to get it on your own, you should begin by going online to the Travis County Clerk's website.
- You can call them or visit their location.
- Phone: (512) 854-9188
- Recording Department Address: 5501 Airport Blvd, Austin, TX 78751
- Personal visits are by appointment only, so be sure to call to set the appointment.
- If contacting by phone, be sure to have the specific data available such as date, names, location, and any other pertinent information.
- If additional filing is needed, the clerk will inform you and either mail or send it to you electronically, or you may be told how to access it online.
- You can also email the clerk's office requesting the information you need and wait for a response.
What Is the Cost of Obtaining a Marriage Certificate From Travis County?
The cost will depend on your needs and how the information is being used. Most companies or agencies require a certified copy. Check to see if the document you need must be certified.
- You can access many documents online free of charge. However, printing documents using your own computer are not certified and may not be acceptable for many requirements.
- Electronic documents sent via email are also uncertified and can be requested by phone, email, or in person.
- You can also request physical copies by phone, email, or in person.
Here’s a summary of charges:
|Uncertified Copies (printed and electronic)||$1 per page|
|Certified Marriage Certificate - First Copy||$5|
|Certified Marriage Certificate - Additional Copies||$1 per page|
If you come into the courthouse and access the records on your own from electronic images, microfilm, or paper, you can make your own copies for $.20 per page. If you use the microfilm printers or computer printers, you will be charged $.25 per page. These copies are not certified.
If you request a certified copy, the clerk will stamp it to indicate that it is certified by Travis County and is an accurate and complete reproduction of the original document. Above costs for certified copies apply.
How DoNotPay Makes Getting a Copy of Your Travis County Marriage Certificate Quick and Easy
If you want to get a but don't have the time or just don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- Next, you can notarize your document by scheduling a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
On top of helping you get a copy of your marriage certificate, there’s more that DoNotPay can do for you. Check out the website and see how DoNotPay can help you with many of the problems you face each day!