Is It Advisable To Trademark a Name and Logo Together?
Trademarks are the elements representing your small business to the public and distinguishing it from other companies that belong to the same sphere. Protecting them with the U.S. Patent and Trademark (USPTO) registration can help you avoid infringement, but do you need to file one trademark at a time?
Can you trademark a name and logo together using a single application form? If yes, what are the benefits and drawbacks of doing so? Look no further—we provide answers in this article! Use DoNotPay to file a flawless trademark application and register your asset on the first try!
No, you do not.
People usually file separate applications for their business name and logo, but the filing fees double in such cases. The total expense gets even higher if they hire an attorney to help them with the registration. For this reason, many trademark owners decide to cut the costs and register both assets at once. The same happens if they want to apply for any other combination of trademarks, including phrases, slogans, or usernames.
Is it always a good idea to register your name and logo as trademarks at the same time? The following table will give you the best answer to this question by listing all advantages and disadvantages of such a choice:
If you decide that filing a single trademark application for your logo and business name is the right choice for you, it is time to:
- Check if the assets meet the registration requirements—You cannot trademark a name or logo that has already been registered by someone else. It is crucial to perform a USPTO trademark search to ensure your ideas are not already in use. If they match other entries fully or partially, you must modify them before you proceed with the registration
- Determine a suitable type of application—You can apply for trademarks using:
- Use-in-commerce approach—for the marks that have already been used in relation to the goods you offer
- Intent-to-use approach—for the marks that have not been used yet, but will be in the future
- Define the trademark class for your name and logo design—Depending on the goods/services you offer, you must assign a specific class to your trademarks. There is a possibility of classifying them into multiple categories, but that increases the overall trademark application costs
- Complete the application form with the additional supporting elements—The USPTO currently allows electronic trademark applications. You can submit one along with the logo design draft and sample showing how the chosen trademarks match the products you offer
A carefully completed trademark application reduces the chances of rejection and helps you register your assets more quickly and easily. With DoNotPay, you do not need to spend hours filling out the USPTO e-forms and worry about potential mistakes. Our app can apply for a trademark in your name!
Here is what you need to do to get our help with trademark registration:
- Visit DoNotPay and choose the Trademark Registration product
- Specify what kind of trademark you want to apply for
- Select a trademark class and complete a brief questionnaire related to the assets you wish to register
- Pay a trademark application fee
We will use the details you provide to fill out the trademark application form and direct it to the USPTO on your behalf. You will get a tracking code to follow the progress of your application and receive an email notification once the agency registers your trademark!
Do you want to know if you need a trademark, how trademark protection law works, or when you should use service marks and copyrights? Check out a wide spectrum of trademark-related topics DoNotPay covers in its knowledge base!
Our app has much more to offer—products that will protect and elevate your business.
Count on DoNotPay when you want to:
|Simplify Processes||Solve Issues|
For your business to thrive, you need to be prepared for any problem that may come your way. This is where DoNotPay comes in! We can help you trademark your company name and even the logo or slogan. To avoid any copyright infringement issues in the future, you can use our app to register your DMCA agent. If you are worried about your clients’ privacy, we will be glad to assist you in getting into the Privacy Shield program.
Are there any negative reviews online slandering your company? DoNotPay can help you get rid of fake comments potentially hurting your business.
As it all comes down to communication, we have developed a feature to help you reach your employees, associates, or clients the easy way. At no additional cost and no post office visit necessary, our AI-powered app can both fax and mail letters and documents.