How To File for Texas Crime Victims Compensation for Relocation Costs
While everyone should feel safe in their own home, that’s not always the case. If you’re a victim of a violent crime—such as domestic violence or stalking—you’re probably thinking about moving out. Most states’ funds for violent crime victims cover the relocation expenses—including monthly rent, utility bills, and similar—of eligible violent crime victims.
This article will tell you all about Texas crime victims compensation for relocation and explain the easiest way to .
Crucial Aspects of the Texas Crime Victims Compensation Program
The State of Texas has created the Crime Victims Compensation Program to help eligible victims of violent crimes deal with financial difficulties caused by crime-related expenses. Some of the crimes that the CVC Program in Texas considers compensable are:
- Child abuse
- Hit and run
To be eligible to get victims compensation in Texas, victims need to:
- Have reported the crime to the police
- Cooperate with law enforcement authorities
- Apply for the CVC Program within three years of the crime
Learn More About Crime Victims Compensation for Relocation in Texas
The Crime Victims Compensation Program in Texas covers relocation costs for victims of:
- Family violence
- Human trafficking
- Sexual assault (if the assault took place in the victim’s home)
You will get compensation for expenses incurred in the first three years from the date of the incident. The program covers the following relocation costs:
- Rental deposits
- Monthly rent
- Utility fees
- Professional moving company
- Van or truck rental
- Transportation costs
- Three months of storage
The maximum compensable amount for relocation expenses is $2,000 for moving costs and up to three months of rent as long as it doesn’t exceed $1,800 in total.
After you file your application, you will have to provide copies of the following documents at the program director’s request:
- Payment affirmation
- Relocation and rental assistance acknowledgment
- Relocation expense worksheet
- Receipts related to moving costs
- Letter of intent or signed lease agreement
Can I Request Payment From the CVC Program Before Relocation?
Victims or their claimants can ask for payment of some relocation-related expenses before moving. The first CVC Program payment will cover:
- Application fee
- Moving expenses
- Rental deposit
- The first month of rent
You have 30 days from the day you move to send the receipts for expenses covered upfront and signed lease agreement to the CVC Program staff. Once the staff receives the necessary documents, they will send you the second and final payment that will cover two more months of rent.
The program can also send payments to the landlord directly, in which case the program staff needs to have:
- Completed relocation documents
- Landlord’s contact info
- Landlord’s Social Security number or Tax Identification Number
- A document from the victim verifying that the payments were made to the landlord directly
How To Keep Your New Address Confidential
Unfortunately, changing your address isn’t always enough to escape the abuser. Locating someone nowadays is fairly easy, which is why you should take additional steps to ensure you’re safe.
One of the precautions you should take is ensuring your new address stays confidential. You can do so by applying for the Texas Address Confidentiality Program (ACP). The program will provide an alternative post office box address that you can use:
- To send and receive mail
- On various forms, such as:
- Voter registration
- Driver’s license
- School registration
What Other Costs Does the Texas Crime Victims Compensation Program Cover?
Besides paying relocation costs for eligible violent crime victims, the CVC Program in Texas also covers other crime-related expenses. Consult the following table to check which costs are covered by the program and which ones aren’t:
How To Apply for Relocation Compensation for Crime Victims in Texas With DoNotPay
Leaving your home is stressful enough—dealing with financial issues caused by the crime should be the least of your worries. Since the traditional application process for the CVC Program in most states—including Texas—can be complicated for most people, DoNotPay has decided to create a better solution.
Our product can help you apply for any crime victims compensation program in a matter of minutes. We can also provide valuable info regarding various crime victim compensation funds, including emergency funds for domestic violence victims and the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund.
To file an application for Texas crime victims compensation for relocation quickly and stress-free, follow these steps:
- Open the Compensation for Crime Victims product
- Tell us whether you’re the victim or a relative of the victim
- Respond to our chatbot’s questions and verify your signature
DoNotPay will fill out your application right away and send it to the Attorney General of Texas.
Check out some other states our app can help you get compensation in:
DoNotPay Can Do Your Paperwork for You!
Feeling like you're in bureaucratic hell? Our app will draft the paperwork you need and get you out of any hurdle before you know it!
We can compose most of the documents that you require for any administrative purpose in your jurisdiction, most notably:
- Legal forms for the small claims court disputes in your state
- Court scripts so you don't get lost for words in front of the judge
- Parking ticket appeals
- Extension letters and fee waivers for your overdue bills
- Warranty claims
- Cease and desist letters for stalkers and harassers bolstered by applicable state and federal laws
- Dispute letters for chargebacks and refunds
- DMCA takedown notices
- Forgotten property claims
- College fee waiver applications
- Application emails for clinical trials in your area that boost your chances of enrollment
- Digitized letters for keeping in touch with your imprisoned loved ones that comply with the local prison practices
- Insurance claims
More of What We Can Do for You
Our multifaceted app can call and record the conversation with the customer service of the company that just won't let you go! If you are having trouble canceling an unwanted service via the traditional channels, use DoNotPay to get it over and done with!
We'll also lend a helping hand in stopping spam mail—whether it's electronic or paper. Our Spam Collector product unsubscribes you from unwanted emails and cleans up your physical mailbox too!