How to Apply for Texas Citizenship Certificate
Having proof of citizenship in the form of a citizenship certificate can be important for many reasons. One reason that you might need evidence of U.S. citizenship in Texas, for example, is in the event that you are applying for a driver's license.
But how do you get a certificate of citizenship or a certificate of naturalization? And what happens in the unfortunate event that you lose your certificate? There are so many questions like these related to how one proves (or even obtains) citizenship. Read on to learn more about the requirements for a Texas citizenship certificate.
What Verification Documents Are Required for the Texas Departments of Public Safety and Motor Vehicles?
In order to obtain your driver's license or learner's permit in Texas, you must first establish your identity. To do so, you must provide one of the following combinations of documents:
|Primary Documentation||Provide a copy of a primary document such as a Texas ID, unexpired passport, US citizenship certificate, foreign passport or visa, or an unexpired D.H.S. document.|
|Secondary Documentation||Provide two of the following secondary documents:
|Secondary and Supplemental Documentation||Provide one piece of secondary documentation (above) AND two pieces of supporting documentation, including:
In addition, you need to be able to demonstrate that you are a U.S. citizen or lawful resident. To do so, you can provide documentation such as:
- Birth Certificate
- Passport or Passport Card
- US Citizenship Certificate
- Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
How Do I Obtain a Citizenship Certificate?
As you can see, being able to demonstrate U.S. citizenship is crucial in the state of Texas. If you're not a U.S. citizen, you surely know that many more opportunities would open up to you if you had a Texas citizenship certificate. Getting one, however, is a lengthy process.
Applying for U.S. citizenship requires submitting Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, along with a great deal of required documentation. It also requires an interview, to which you must bring additional documentation.
How Long Does It Take To Obtain a Citizenship Certificate?
The entire process for obtaining a citizenship certificate can be quite lengthy, making it a very valuable document to you when it finally arrives. While the length of the process can vary widely depending on your individual circumstances, the average length of time it takes to obtain U.S. citizenship is around 1.5-2 years.
What if I Need to Replace My Citizenship Certificate?
If you are successful in obtaining U.S. citizenship and that coveted certificate, you'll want to do everything you can to keep it safe. In some cases, however, you may find yourself in the unfortunate situation of needing a replacement because the original certificate was lost, stolen or damaged, or contained incorrect information.
If you need to replace your certificate, you will request a new document using Form N-565.
How Do I Fill Out Form N-565?
It is important to fill out Form N-565 carefully. Any errors or omissions could cause delays in the process. When filling out Form N-565, you will need to make sure that you do the following:
- Complete the form using black ink or type up the information on the form.
- Put any information that won't fit on the form on a separate page, indicating clearly which question on the form it corresponds to. Sign and date all extra pages.
- Write "N/A" for any question that is not relevant to your situation. Write "none" where appropriate.
What Supporting Documents Do I Need to Submit With Form N-565?
The answer to this question will depend on your reason for requesting a replacement certificate. Some examples of forms or documents that you will need to submit with your application include:
- Your original certificate if you still have it
- Legal documents related to change of name, change of gender, and the like
- The appropriate form if paying your filing fee with a credit card
- If you are applying for a special certificate of naturalization, include a copy of your naturalization certificate
How Can DoNotPay Help Me Obtain a Replacement Certificate?
Obviously, there's a lot to navigate when requesting a replacement citizenship certificate. Sometimes the whole process can seem overwhelming. Luckily, though, now you have a new resource on your side: DoNotPay.
If you want to replace USCIS-issued naturalization or citizenship certificates but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in easy steps:
- Search "naturalization certificates" (or "USCIS") on DoNotPay.
- Select the document you are applying for, and the reason why you need a replacement.
- Tell us more about the original certificate, including the certificate number, when it was issued, and the details of the person it was issued to. Upload evidence files to support your claims.
- Enter the contact information for any preparers and interpreters that helped with the application. Select whether you want to pay the application fee by check or credit card.
- Indicate whether you would like to receive a digital copy of your forms or have us mail them to you.
Why Use DoNotPay to Obtain My Citizenship Certificate for Texas?
DoNotPay has proved successful at helping customers navigate legal and bureaucratic challenges such as obtaining replacement citizenship certificates. DoNotPay breaks the process down for you into comprehensible steps, with handy checklists to guide you. DoNotPay is:
- Quick - You don't have to spend hours trying to obtain your Texas citizenship certificate.
- Simple - You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in obtaining your certificate.
- Proven Successful - You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you.
Give DoNotPay a try today to see how it can help you with Texas citizenship certificates and a whole host of other legally-related life challenges.