The Easiest Way to Request Testing Accommodations
We all deserve equal opportunities in life, and social equality is the bar that keeps everyone in check. Attaining this equality is a task, especially for persons living with a disability. Private and government assessment bodies are mandated to offer equal chances to all students through testing accommodations.
Testing accommodations are alterations to assessment programs to allow persons living with disabilities to have a fair opportunity as a totally able person. To get testing accommodations, you have to send in a request to the assessing body. Each test has a different set of requirements and way to request testing accommodation. DoNotPay saves you from the long process of testing accommodations requesting and allows you to send a request within minutes through the DoNotPay Testing Accommodations tool.
What Are Testing Accommodations?
Testing accommodation is the alteration of the regular testing environment and auxiliary aids and services to allow people with a disability to participate in tests on equal grounds with their non-disabled peers.
Testing accommodations change the following items in a test:
- Test presentation
- Students' response method
- Test setting
- Scheduling and timing of the assessment
However, testing accommodations do not change the basis of the assessment or invalidate the test results. Testing accommodations are available to students who need special education services due to physical disability.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a disabled person as an 'individual who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity (such as seeing, hearing, learning, reading, concentrating, or thinking) or a major bodily function (such as the neurological, endocrine, or digestive system). The following are examples of groups of students who are accommodated in the testing alterations:
- Legally blind students who need non-standard reading formats such as Braille, large type, etc
- Deaf people who need lip-reading to understand speech
- Physically disabled students who need wheelchairs for movement
- Students with medical conditions that require periodic intake of medication
- People with amputated limbs who need extra time or unique pieces of equipment to perform particular duties
The modifications made to accommodate differently-abled people in the assessment room include:
- Braille or large print documents for visually impaired people
- Extended time
- Wheelchair accessible assessment stations
- Screen reading technology
- Scribes to record notes or transfer answers to Scranton bubble sheets
- Assessment rooms with minimal distractions
- Physical prompts for individuals with hearing impairments
- Permission to take medication during assessment time
- Breaks or allowing students to walk around in cases like ADHD accommodations
What Types of Testing Accommodations Are Offered?
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) advocates for testing accommodations in all exams administered by any educational, private, local, or state government body for tests on any of the following purposes:
- Credentialing for secondary or higher education
- Trade purposes
Examples of exams covered under the ADA testing accommodations include:
- College entrance exams such as Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) and American College Test (ACT)
- High school equivalency exams (HSE), including the General Educational Development (GED®) test, the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), and the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)
- Professional schools admission exams such as Law School Admission Test (LSAT) or Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
- Graduate school admission exams, including Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
- Licensing exams for professional and trade purposes, such as cosmetology and medical licensing exams
You can contact ACT here:
|ACT Accommodation Support/Email||Contact Form|
|Mailing Address||PO Box 414, Iowa City,
|ACT Accommodations Contact Page||Help Page|
How to Request Testing Accommodations
The process of requesting testing accommodation varies depending on the organization offering the assessment. However, you should generally request testing accommodation long before the examination starts to give the assessor enough time to look into your case and prepare themselves.
You should submit supporting documents that verify your case for a proper case evaluation. The documents vary with the type of disability and the specific testing accommodation you need.
Here are some typical documents you'd present to help the assessor verify your need for test accommodation:
- Proof of past testing accommodations
- Your history of medical diagnosis
- Professional evaluation results such as psycho-educational results
- Recorded observations by your educators
- Your account or testimony regarding testing accommodations
Request Testing Accommodations With DoNotPay!
Requesting testing accommodation requires proper preparation and timing. If you request late, the response might come back too late or fail to grant your request since you did not give your assessor enough time to prepare. DoNotPay helps you clear your doubts by helping you prepare for the application and sending an instant request on our behalf. Here is how you request test accommodations with the help of DoNotPay:
- Search for testing accommodations on DoNotPay.
- Start our Request My Testing Accommodation product by telling us which test you intend to take.
- Answer some questions about your specific disability and testing plans.
And that's it! DoNotPay will write a letter to the company administering your exam laying out the case for your accommodation request, both concerning that company's internal policies and relevant disability law. You should receive a response soon!
We Have More Solutions for You!
DoNotPay offers more than helping you request testing accommodations; we work across all government and private entities to bring you solutions to all your legal and administrative issues. The services you can access with our products include:
- Request to return your bought products
- Get protection from your landlord
- Find your lost pets
- Jump the phone queue at any company
- Get refunds for late deliveries
- Access the freedom of information act
Sign up on our website to enjoy more services and more with the utmost convenience.