How to Get a Copy of a Tennessee Marriage Certificate Online
A certified copy of your Tennessee marriage certificate is a legal document that proves you are married. There are many reasons you need to have your within reach. You can use it to give a tax-free gift to your spouse, change your name, or apply for benefits through your spouse's employer.
If you have lost your marriage certificate, don't fret. It is easy to get a copy from the comfort of your own home. DoNotPay can help you with that.
What is the Difference Between a Marriage Certificate and a Marriage License?
A marriage license is a public document issued by the county clerk's office where you were married. A copy of your license is kept on record in the county clerk's office. You need a marriage license to get married.
A marriage certificate is a certified vital record that proves the time and location of the marriage. The Tennessee Department of Public Health issues and stores copies of marriage certificates.
Who Can Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Tennessee?
Most Tennessee vital records including birth, death, and marriage certificates are a matter of public record in compliance with the Tennessee Open Records Act. But specific information and qualifications must be met for individuals to look at or request copies of them. Only one of the parties of a marriage or an immediate family member may obtain a copy of a Tennessee marriage certificate.
How Can You Get a Copy of a Tennessee Marriage Certificate on Your Own?
The state of Tennessee offers you a few different ways to get a copy of your marriage certificate.
If you live close to Nashville, you can visit Tennessee Vital Records at the Andrew Johnson Tower. The vital records office is on the Rosa Parks Boulevard side of the building. Office hours are from 8 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Friday.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Marriage Certificate Processing Fee|
|Tennessee Vital Records||710 James Robertson Parkway
Andrew Johnson Tower 1st Floor
Nashville, TN 37243
|First Copy: $15.00 Additional Copies: $15.00|
Once there you will need to fill out a form and show proper identification. Each copy costs $15 and you can pay with cash, check, credit or debit cards, or money orders.
You may also request a verification of the marriage event which can be used for informational purposes only. This is not intended for identification purposes.
You can submit your request for a copy of your marriage certificate by mail. You will need to complete and sign an application for a certified copy, and supply a photocopy of a government-issued ID card which includes a copy of your signature.
Your request will need to be notarized. And you will need to include a check or money order made payable to Tennessee Vital Records for $15 for each copy you are requesting. Mail your request to the Tennessee Vital Records office.
While Tennessee's Office of Vital Records does not offer online ordering directly, you can use an independent company they have contracted with to order online. Using VitalChek you can place your order and pay with a credit or debit card. Additional processing fees are collected through the company.
Why Not Get Your Tennessee Marriage Certificate Ordered Instantly Through DoNotPay?
You face different challenges when you order your marriage certificate on your own, such as:
- Going through the hassle of driving to Tennessee Vital Records in Nashville
- Hoping you have done everything properly before mailing in your request
- Sharing your personal information with a company you know nothing about
Instead of worrying, you can use the trusted DoNotPay app to take care of ordering your Tennessee marriage certificate online!
How to Order a Marriage Certificate Copy in Tennessee With DoNotPay
If you want to order a but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Use DoNotPay to Order a Copy of Your Tennessee Marriage Certificate
DoNotPay is an easy, viable option when you need to get a copy of your Tennessee marriage certificate. A few reasons why include:
- No other way is so easy! The DoNotPay app takes you through a simple step-by-step process and you are done.
- It's quick! It only takes a couple of minutes to provide your information online.
- No problems! You won't have to worry whether you have included all the information and documentation. DoNotPay assures that you have.
There is no simpler way to get a copy of your Tennessee marriage certificate than through DoNotPay no matter where you currently live.
What Else Can You Do with DoNotPay?
The DoNotPay app can help you with a wide variety of tasks and make them all simple. Some examples include:
- Getting your dog licensed
- Getting a chargeback or refund on your credit card
- Writing a defamation demand letter
- Filing a change of address
- Canceling a subscription or service
When you sign up for DoNotPay, you can do so much for so little. Your information will be stored, so you can quickly and easily use any of the numerous options available when you need them. Let DoNotPay simplify your life.