Suing Your Landlord For Mould Without a Lawyer — And Win!

Landlord Protection Suing Your Landlord For Mould Without a Lawyer — And Win!

How Do I Go About Suing My Landlord for Mould in the UK?

Can you sue your landlord for mould in a rental if they aren't addressing the issue? If your UK rental property has moisture issues like a leaking roof or faulty plumbing, it's imperative that you contact your landlord right away to request repairs. The last thing you want is for mould to start growing in your rental home.

Mould can be extremely harmful to your health, causing allergic reactions and respiratory issues. If your landlord refuses to address the moisture issue, won't deal with the mould problem, or otherwise refuses to make your home safe, you have recourse. In fact, landlords are required under UK Law for Fitness for Human Habitation Act 2018 to make sure that their rental units meet certain key criteria including no moisture or mould.

So, you very well may be able to get the repairs done as well as receive compensation for mould in your rental unit. And, with DoNotPay, it only takes a few minutes to get started with filing a court claim.

What Are My Rights as a Tenant?

When you sign a lease agreement with a landlord in the UK, both you and the landlord have certain expectations. Namely, they want the rent on time every month and you want a safe, secure home. As a tenant, it's important to understand that you have tenant's rights that your landlord must uphold including.

  • The right to live in a safe home that is in good repair.
  • The right to live in your rental property undisturbed
  • The right to challenge excessive rent charges.
  • The right to a fair eviction process.
  • The right to receive your deposit back at the end of your tenancy

How to Ask Your Landlord for Repairs

When you review the tenant rights listed above, the first one states that you have the right to safe housing that's in good repair. It's up to your landlord to make sure that the rental property receives adequate maintenance and timely repairs. To request repairs and mould remediation from your landlord:

  1. Gather Documents/Evidence - Take photos and/or videos of any affected part of the property and the damages it caused.
  2. Compose A Written Explanation - Write a letter detailed in the complaint regarding the situation and its effects.
  3. Send a Letter of Repair - Submit the letter to your landlord via post and make sure to keep a copy for yourself for future purposes.
  4. Wait for a Response - Allow adequate time for your landlord to receive, read and respond to your letter.

What if My Landlord Doesn’t Respond?

It is your landlord’s responsibility to ensure your home is fit to live in and perform necessary repairs on time. But if they won’t deal with bad conditions and repair, you can reach out to the following:

Local CouncilFind your Local Council
Environmental HealthPhone: 020 7361 3002


OmbudsmanLocal Government & Social Care Ombudsman
Citizens AdviceCitizens Advice
Legislation Enquiries, Legal Research, Interpretation &

Can I Sue My Landlord for Mould?

It turns out that many people in the UK have experienced dampness, moisture, and mould in rental properties. This has led to a change in the law that makes it easier for tenants to get compensation from landlords who don't take action.

Of course, the process can be lengthy and you may want to confer with a solicitor to make sure you have a solid case. Once you've found someone willing to take your case and compile the evidence, you can file the papers with the court. It's a headache, to say the least, but it may well be worth it in the end.

You can try the small claims court and represent yourself. You can file for a small claim if you want the landlord to do the work and it costs less than £1000 or you are asking for less than £1000 in compensation.

Sue Your Landlord for Mould Issues With DoNotPay

Your landlord is obligated under the law to ensure your home is safe to live in. If they aren't keeping up with that obligation, it's up to you to take action. When asking politely doesn't work, it's time to ramp up the pressure with court action. If hiring a solicitor isn't appealing, let DoNotPay take care of it for you.

DoNotPay is able to file landlord/tenant disputes on your behalf in minutes from your phone. Our Landlord Protection product can help you:

How to Demand Repairs From Your Landlord Using DoNotPay

If you want to request action from your landlord due to mould, but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 4 easy steps:

  1. Search for and open the Landlord Protection product on DoNotPay.


  2. Select which issue applies to you.


  3. Answer a simple set of questions so our chatbot can collect the necessary information to create your demand letter.


  4. Choose whether you want DoNotPay to send the demand letter to your landlord or roommate on your behalf. If you already tried sending a demand letter and it didn't work, we can help you start the small claims court process.


Why Use DoNotPay to Sue Your Landlord for Mould

If you're thinking about suing your landlord for mould in your rental unit, it's not something you should take lightly. It's also not completely easy doing it on your own.

But with DoNotPay:

  • It's Fast - It only takes a few minutes to answer the questions and upload your evidence so you can sue your landlord for mould.
  • It's Easy - There aren't any long, complicated legal forms or processes, just click and go.
  • It’s Successful - DoNotPay has successfully helped many people deal with rental issues and we can help you too.

What Else Can DoNotPay Do?

In addition to helping UK tenants deal with landlord problems, DoNotPay can handle a variety of tasks including:

Join DoNotPay to get started.

Want your issue solved now?